Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2011 Camaro5 Fest (II)

Old 04-29-2011, 01:47 PM   #71
hoffmk2003
The Hof

Drives: 2010 IOM Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
Just for the record the Carbon Fiber shaft that Conrad from Hancook broke
last year at a Drifting event (not at the fest) was manufactured from PST (PST manufactures shafts for other vendors on this board) it was not a DSS product. After it broke he has now gone to both our Driveshaft and 1400Hp axles and has not had a problem.

1. only one Driveshaft shop Carbon shaft spun at the event.

Just to set the record straight only one of the Carbon Shafts we made broke at the event, one other did break before the event (it was Gabe and we overnighted a aluminum shaft to him no charge so he could be at the event)

Doc's shaft did spin at the road event, Both myself-my son and a local sport compact shop managed to repair the shaft so Doc could get home, I also had agreed to pay Bonderant for the work on Doc's car (even though the Carbon shaft was given to him for no cost, he was testing)

At the track i had a theory what the problem was but as it turns out the Tube looks like it is the problem, the company that made the tube said they may have used too much release agent (the tube is made by being wound around a steel tube and a pam like substance is sprayed on the tube so it releases off it) the problem is it got into the fiber and the glue did not ad-hear to the tube like it should. We sent the sample 1st to them and then it was sent to 3M for further evaluation. We have made over 20 Carbon shaft with a larger 3-3/4 tube (the Camaro used 3-3/8) with out any issues and is holding fine in several 1000+ all out drag cars running sub 1.20 60ft times so we know the process were doing is correct and look forward to the full Analysis from both the tubing manufacturer and 3M the glue manufacturer.

I will post this info up on the drivetrain board (i had asked Doc to send me pictures of the bond but have not received them yet for this post) after its all figured out.

All company's are at one time are going to have some sort of problem. This is something new to us so i don't have answers like i would with any other driveshaft or Axle but I feel with what happened we went above and beyond by overnighting driveshafts to both Gabe and Doc so there cars would not be down (done at no charge) I also agreed to pay to the clutch pulled out of Doc's car when he and other thought that was the problem. We will be more than willing to exchange/Credit them for what ever they feel comfortable with, We here at DSS are committed to excellence. i know this went on a little long but i felt the info listed here needed to be show in a truthful manor.

Frank
I have seen DSS product for years in the SVT terminator world, their isn't anyone that comes close to their quality, professionalism and engineering.

I give them credit for trying to advance racing drivetrain technology by designing and manufacturing products which push the envelope.

If it wasn't for innovators such as DSS there would not even be solutions out there for our late model muscle cars for the strip and tracks.

Ken
#6 Bolt on Fast List...best ET 12.01@117 mph
http://www.streetfire.net/video/best...ro_2240734.htm
hoffmk2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:54 AM   #72
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffmk2003 View Post
I have seen DSS product for years in the SVT terminator world, their isn't anyone that comes close to their quality, professionalism and engineering.

I give them credit for trying to advance racing drivetrain technology by designing and manufacturing products which push the envelope.

If it wasn't for innovators such as DSS there would not even be solutions out there for our late model muscle cars for the strip and tracks.

Ken
Agree 100%

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 08:54 AM   #73
Doc
Dances With Mustangs

Drives: 2010 1SS/RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
Just for the record the Carbon Fiber shaft that Conrad from Hancook broke
last year at a Drifting event (not at the fest) was manufactured from PST (PST manufactures shafts for other vendors on this board) it was not a DSS product. After it broke he has now gone to both our Driveshaft and 1400Hp axles and has not had a problem.

1. only one Driveshaft shop Carbon shaft spun at the event.

Just to set the record straight only one of the Carbon Shafts we made broke at the event, one other did break before the event (it was Garth (corrected sorry) and we overnighted a aluminum shaft to him no charge so he could be at the event)

Doc's shaft did spin at the road event, Both myself-my son and a local sport compact shop managed to repair the shaft so Doc could get home, I also had agreed to pay Bonderant for the work on Doc's car (even though the Carbon shaft was given to him for no cost, he was testing)

At the track i had a theory what the problem was but as it turns out the Tube looks like it is the problem, the company that made the tube said they may have used too much release agent (the tube is made by being wound around a steel tube and a pam like substance is sprayed on the tube so it releases off it) the problem is it got into the fiber and the glue did not ad-hear to the tube like it should. We sent the sample 1st to them and then it was sent to 3M for further evaluation. We have made over 20 Carbon shaft with a larger 3-3/4 tube (the Camaro used 3-3/8) with out any issues and is holding fine in several 1000+ all out drag cars running sub 1.20 60ft times so we know the process were doing is correct and look forward to the full Analysis from both the tubing manufacturer and 3M the glue manufacturer.

I will post this info up on the drivetrain board (i had asked Doc to send me pictures of the bond but have not received them yet for this post) after its all figured out.

All company's are at one time are going to have some sort of problem. This is something new to us so i don't have answers like i would with any other driveshaft or Axle but I feel with what happened we went above and beyond by overnighting driveshafts to both Gabe and Doc so there cars would not be down (done at no charge) I also agreed to pay to the clutch pulled out of Doc's car when he and other thought that was the problem. We will be more than willing to exchange/Credit them for what ever they feel comfortable with, We here at DSS are committed to excellence. i know this went on a little long but i felt the info listed here needed to be show in a truthful manor.

Frank
Due to timing, Easter, and a sudden job change/transfer I haven't been able to remove the cf shaft and send it back. I have the aluminum one Frank sent to get my car running correctly and I'll get the cf shaft back to him for analysis. He, his son and the people at Bondurant all were terrific at helping me get my car running again and enable me to get home safely.

I have complete confidence that DSS will get this sorted out and as a customer I couldn't ask for more from a company; they've been top-notch at working with me to resolve this.

Blue Angel is here!!
1SS/RS LS3 M6 IBM
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 10:55 PM   #74
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Thanks Frank from Drive Shaft Shop for the awesome customer service on a Sunday while you were at the lake before Cfest. Not many companys would bend over backwards to take care of a customer the way you did - I was extremely impressed and happy I have my DSS components. Looking forward to the new Carbon Fiber shaft..... previous one felt awesome and was a little quieter than the aluminum one you overnighted me. I purposely went with the CF to help balance out driveline noise with all the bushings/solid subframe bushings/diff bushings/gears etc. Also the advantages for road courses and I must admit, the "cool factor".

Only complaint I have is mirrors aren't included with the CF shaft for car shows!
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:18 PM   #75
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOUDMIKE View Post
I know of two clutches, 1 passenger axle shaft, 1 shifter, 1 differential and some turbo piping for sure!!!!
Thanks Mike for the quick clutch replacement on Sunday morning following the Cfest! Wow, what an awesome shop - top notch. Lingenfelter was kind enough to set me up with a new one off their display just in case I couldn't make it home and your shop was just the ticket. Looks like the "1 shifter" person might being doing a clutch too. 2nd ZR1 clutch including mine.... think he was about 9 months on it, but very high RWHP. After reviewing some videos of my 1/4 mile, I saw one that looked almost like a burnout - but pretty sure it was the clutch burning. One of the runs before this the clutch stuck to the floor and slowly came back up just in time to shift. I remember the feeling like I was gradually getting traction - but in hind sight, it had to be the clutch slipping/burning.

After talking extensively with Graham at Lingenfelter and following a suggestion from Nathan I ordered the clutch return spring kit that LPE sells. I ordered for 2 other members and Mtcwby I believe is getting one when he gets 3.91 LPE rear end gears to replace the broken Richmond 3.73's.
I had a simular stuck pedal situation with the OEM setup before LPE, and until the clutch pedal returned, the clutch just sat and burned until RPMs came down...... can't quite push the pedal in to stop the burn when it's stuck to the floor!

Thanks again to everyone for the help extended.... had a blast at Cfest regardless!
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:32 AM   #76
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
Thanks Frank from Drive Shaft Shop for the awesome customer service on a Sunday while you were at the lake before Cfest. Not many companys would bend over backwards to take care of a customer the way you did - I was extremely impressed and happy I have my DSS components. Looking forward to the new Carbon Fiber shaft..... previous one felt awesome and was a little quieter than the aluminum one you overnighted me. I purposely went with the CF to help balance out driveline noise with all the bushings/solid subframe bushings/diff bushings/gears etc. Also the advantages for road courses and I must admit, the "cool factor".

Only complaint I have is mirrors aren't included with the CF shaft for car shows!
PM sent