Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 10-26-2007, 10:14 PM   #1
Eisenhower
I drank what?

Drives: DANGEROUSLY
Exclamation Speeders BEWARE

Well..., guess we're all going to have to look out not only for the cops but Helen, the busy-body next door too.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/...22-radar_N.htm
Eisenhower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:17 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I can see the reasoning behind this idea...but...I think it's stupid. Really in poor taste.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:35 AM   #3
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
if getting busted by the cops dosent stop chronic speeders from speeding, some old geezer sitting on his porch with a radar gun wont make a difference. these are just people who need something to do.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:49 AM   #4
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Wow...if it makes them slow down. Having your radar detector go off slows just about everyone w/ the radar detector. That'll work to keep some of the speeders from continuing.

My question...what happens if someone is given a few "warnings?" Can the PD eventually take some sort of action against the driver? I don't think there's any way. Has to be an officer witnessing the event to take action. I could see more benefits than drawbacks from this. But, it won't solve the problem unless the regular speeder finally gets that couple hundred dollar ticket.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 05:34 AM   #5
stovt001

Drives: 2006 Cobalt, 2004 Taurus wagon
Yes, because what we need is more hassling from our neighbors. Great.
stovt001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:46 AM   #6
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Personally, I think it's a good idea.

I've asked the local police dept. to place one of those small trailer-signs showing "Your Speed" in front of the house, but there is a waiting list!

I'm sick and tired of seeing too many a-hole's, in their huge SUV's, talking on the cell phone, accelerating like their at a drag strip only to slam on the brakes to negotiate the tight turns which are on the road I live on.

Living "out in the sticks", many of the roads are two lane, narrow, winding roads, with many elevation changes, blind spots, etc., and these morons who are in such a hurry, talking on their cell phones, and even applying make-up, (all of which I witness almost every day) is ridiculous.

I'm certain there are a good many who feel the way I do. If you don't want to be harrassed by "Helen", or "the neighbors", show some restraint. I personally make sure I'm doing the speed limit whenever I'm in the area where I live.

Maybe it's just getting older, but there are lots of places to "open 'em up", but, neighborhoods are not the place. I often take the SS out to the local interstate, bypass, etc., and "stretch his legs".

I don't want idiots racing past my house, and I doubt anyone here does either. I say "Nail the idiots any chance you get."
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #7
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 10:14 AM   #8
stovt001

I the same problem on my street, bunch of kids in their parents Mercedes, BMWs, Lexii (plural of Lexus) Infinitis, etc racing up my street only to slam on their brakes for the stop sign or light on either end of the street. As much as I would like to see that end, having some old grumpy man or lady aiming a radar gun at me every time I come up the street just looking for an excuse to hassle me is not the way to do it. I'm all for protecting your own private property, but lets leave law enforcement on public streets to the police. Really, can you imagine how annoying it would be to be driving down the streets of this great free country only to have all these old busybodies looking for anything to do during retirement sitting on their porch aiming radar guns all over the place? Seems a little ridiculous to me.
Old 10-27-2007, 10:19 AM   #9
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
the funny thing about this is that a couple weeks ago, I was getting out of class late everyday, which in turn shortens the time I have to run back to the house, let the dogs out (haha, I let the dogs out), and get changed and get to work. so every day I get off the highway and floor it the first few blocks of the road I live on. (dont worry, tho, there is a dealership and an open lot on either side, so no houses for a few blocks.) and of course, with the way my cutout is messed up (stuck open) I sound like a nascar approaching at 200mph when I get to the actual neighborhood. well, after doing this for about 2 weeks I was coming home from class after getting out early so I was taking my time, and sure enough there is a patrol car sitting on the empty lot side of the road and my radar is going wild. (thank god I had to wait on traffic for the turn or he might have something to brag about.)

told me straight out, people dont like camaros roaring thru their streets. then again there are other people in various vehicles that fly thru there faster than me.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 12:45 PM   #10
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
I don't want people racing thru neighborhoods, either...Interstates are different story. And I make it a point to go under/at the limit around houses(you never know when a basket-ball will roll out into the street)...But this is almost vigilante-ism, I'm not sure a "warning letter" will stop anybody.
Old 10-27-2007, 12:51 PM   #11
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
I like the idea of the signs that show your speed. And to those that don't like the idea of being annoyed with 'speeding letters', would you rather have cops giving you tickets? Personally i would take a warning any time over a ticket. And who's going 13 over in a residential area?
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:35 PM   #12
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
I like the idea of the signs that show your speed. And to those that don't like the idea of being annoyed with 'speeding letters', would you rather have cops giving you tickets? Personally i would take a warning any time over a ticket. And who's going 13 over in a residential area?

me...lol
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:46 PM   #13
TFord
Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2000 Z28
Send a message via Yahoo to TFord
lets be real...I really think the average citizen dosent just speed through residential areas. I know that I dont, but I also know from what Ive seen the ones who do are the ones driving they're expensive cars/suv's, on they're cell phones. And no matter how many tickets they get they can afford them, and they never get they're liscence took cause they can afford great lawyers. I lived in georgia, in one of the biggest retirement areas in the US and there are a lot of rich retirees. Ive never seen people in my life that drive this bad, and Im from Chicago. Ive seen this one maserati pulled over at least 7 times in a 6 month period, the guy never got his liscence pulled. had that been me Id have no liscence. to me its just a waste of time and money, how bout we put more effort into getting the people who dont care about the law off the roads, and make it to so that no matter how much money you make the law dosent bend or brake for you. we do a great job of getting the people who cant afford a lawyer, and shouldent be behind the wheel off the road.
TFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 01:47 PM   #14
stovt001

Yeah, I doubt a warning letter will stop ANYONE who speeds up or down my street. They are the kind of people who think their fancy expensive cars make them king of the world. Sadly, there are few real solutions. Speed bumps create problems for firetrucks, ambulances, and other emergency vehicles. Warnings from vigilantes (which is what this is) or signs showing your speed don't affect all the narcissists, which are the real problem speeders. There are not enough police officers and related resources to post them at all the trouble spots. Speed cameras aren't perfect and can, like red-light cameras, falsely ticket someone when a live police officer would see that there was no offense. Who's to say the camera was calibrated properly? So I appreciate any new ideas to catch speeders, but I just don't think this is the right solution sadly. Sigh.