Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 09-05-2011, 10:16 AM   #1
gagarza0328

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Unhappy A/C Problems

I love my Camaro and once you've had a Camaro, wow you can't go to anything else. My problem is that my beautiful "Black Betty" as I call her had an AC problem. She is only 18 months old and her A/C went out. I took it to the dealer and they told me that a rock had hit my condenser and made a hole in it. I don't understand how could this have happened to my beautiful car. The dealer said that since it was not a manufacturers defect, I would have to pay for the condenser to be replaced. Why would they put the condenser in a place where this could happen? Well if it is in a bad place, even if it's replaced, it could happen again and again. Why would this not be a manufacturers defect if it has happened to so many people? I have been reading up on it and others have had the same problem. UUUgggghhhhh. So frustrated.
:(
gagarza0328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 11:13 AM   #2
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
Sorry to hear about your issues gagarza. Have you spoken with our Customer Assistance team about this issue? If you'd like more assistance in working with your dealer I can get you all setup. Just send me a message if you want a case.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:06 PM   #3
Dr_Doom

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS Convertible
Wow, thats like the 5th or 6th post I've seen here where someone had AC trouble and the dealer told them they had a pinhole caused by a rock. Gagarza, did you get a good at it, and did it actually look like it had been hit with a rock?
Dr_Doom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:14 PM   #4
Archontruth

Drives: 2012 1LT Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagarza0328 View Post
I love my Camaro and once you've had a Camaro, wow you can't go to anything else. My problem is that my beautiful "Black Betty" as I call her had an AC problem. She is only 18 months old and her A/C went out. I took it to the dealer and they told me that a rock had hit my condenser and made a hole in it. I don't understand how could this have happened to my beautiful car. The dealer said that since it was not a manufacturers defect, I would have to pay for the condenser to be replaced. Why would they put the condenser in a place where this could happen? Well if it is in a bad place, even if it's replaced, it could happen again and again. Why would this not be a manufacturers defect if it has happened to so many people? I have been reading up on it and others have had the same problem. UUUgggghhhhh. So frustrated.
:(
I feel your pain. My current car has been very reliable, other than an air conditioner that has broken four times (always in the summer) since I bought it. Fortunately, the last two breakdowns happened so soon after the third that parts warranties replaced the broken components for free.

Delivered 10/7/2011
Archontruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
RickHead

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
I'm here to tell you it can happen and is happening to a lot of 2010 and newer camaro owners. It happened to me. I think it is a combination of a really super light weight type material they are using for the condensers and the design of the grill. If you don't believe the dealer about the pinhole, buy some r134 super seal with uv dye, charge it into the low side and then shine a uv light in through the front grill.
RickHead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 12:24 PM   #6
funbun

Drives: 2010 RS
Mine did the same, but I got the old condenser back. No obvious signs of impact damage. I suspect vibration rather than impact, maybe.
funbun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #7
PalmerGA

Drives: 2013 SIM 1SS/RS L99
There are several things on our Camaros that one would think is a manufacturer's flaw... if not an outright design flaw. Unfortunately, GM is hesitant to replace (under warranty) anything that meets specs, however poor those specs may be.

Case in point: 1) Throttle Bodies - everyone knows they could be better. The VMax Ported TB is by far superior to the factory ones yet, the factory ones meet the design specs, however poor those specs may be. 2) MAF Sensors - there are "weak" ones and "strong" ones yet, even the weak ones meet the design specs, however poor those may be. 3) Paint/Clear coat - everyone (including GM) knows the paint jobs on these beautiful autos sucks and the clear-coat is minimally acceptable yet, both meet design specs, however poor those may be.

The list goes on but the fact is, your A/C condenser meets design specs, however poor those may be. I'm afraid you will just have to suck it up and either pay for a new one (and perhaps install some kind of shield to protect it), or sweat.
2013 1SS/RS Coupe L99, Stainless Power Works LT Headers, SCT X4 Custom Tune from RDP, CAI Inc. Air Intake w/ Apex Scoop, VMAX CNC Ported Throttle Body, Solo Axle-Back Exhaust w/ J-pipes, Apex Catch Can, Husky Splash Guards, Heritage Grille, 3D Carbon Rear Spoiler, Oracle Chrome Turn Signal Bulbs, GM Reverse Light Trim Billets, Gorilla Black Locking Lugs, Emblem Pros Retro SS Badges/Custom Retro SS Kickplates/Under-hood Bowtie, 35% window Tint, Nitto Motivo Tires (6-8-18)
PalmerGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
efpardo
Deep6

Drives: 2016 Camaro #182300 | 2SS | HBM
Send a message via Skype™ to efpardo
OK - my turn. I just got back from BBOMG and all was well till this afternoon. I drove home 5 miles to cut the grass and as I drove up the driveway, steam seamed to be pouring from under the hood. Checking under the hood I expected to smell anti-freeze. I heard a hiss and saw the vapor but it looks like AC die leaked out from the upper part of the condenser.

What's the cost to replace? Anyone?

My Journals:
Erick's Mistress - Violet 2016 2SS
#182300 | 2SS | HBM |
Erick’s Mistress - 2010 2LT
#8212 | 2LT | RS | CGM | Litho #165 |
efpardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 10:23 PM   #9
bradshaw

Drives: 2010 LS3 2SS M6
Well the refrigerant doesn`t have a dye in it, most probably was antifreeze which is an orange color I`m pretty sure, I think your radiator is leaking.
bradshaw is offline   Reply With Quote