Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-28-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
Brownhornitt

Drives: 2006 White Corvette Convertible
V6 Flowmaster American Thunder axel-back kit

Who has installed the Flowmaster AMT axel-back kit on their V6 Camaro? Do you like the sound? Is it too loud, or not loud enough? Generally, are you happy with your purchase? I see a lot of people happy with their exhaust kits/systems from Borla, MRT, Corsa, GMPP, Magnaflow, and even Flowmaster 40 and 44. I really liked this Flowmaster video on Youtube:

Does anyone have the V6 Flowmaster American Thunder axel-back kit? Let us know what you think?
Old 02-28-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
Landshark

Drives: 1LT/RS
Brownhornitt,
This is the kit I was thinking about installing before I went and seen my muffler guy. I went with single chambered flows and they sound pretty good. The kit from what others have said here has a good sound and tone. It is, as you already know, is bolt on. if you get it and like it, welding it on changes it's tone. Some say for the better. Just FYI.
Shark
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 11:29 PM   #3
Brownhornitt

Landshark,
That's kind of my point. Why did you go with single chambered Flowmasters? I'm familiar with this stuff, but far from an expert.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #4
priz23
On 2nd 2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS -Cyber Gray
Mine should be on my door stop by tomorrow evening. Hope to get them installed within a week.
Old 02-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
Landshark

Drives: 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownhornitt View Post
Landshark,
That's kind of my point. Why did you go with single chambered Flowmasters? I'm familiar with this stuff, but far from an expert.
Due to he said he put a set of mine on a SS the day before and he said it sounded good. I took his word for it and he was right. I have to call him and see if there 40's or 44's because I'm sure you will ask that next. I told a guy earlier, my wife says "she can't hear herself think when driving it" They are loud under accell. I told her she will feel better when she gets over it. I'm going to the Treasure Island meet next Saturday, if your there you can decide for yourself. Check the California Meets section for details. Oh by the way, I have a White 1LT/RS
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #6
hb35man

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT Aqua Blue Metallic
I have this system installed and really like it.
If I were to do it over (and I might ) I would be using the Stainless Works system
http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/p...oducts_id=1861
hb35man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 07:32 AM   #7
chozn4service

Drives: 2016 SS w/2SS A8 Blue Velvet
After watching and listening to so many videos on YouTube.com since Dec.5th, and talking to people with various systems I pulled the trigger on the Flowmaster AT axle back and I'm glad that I did. I'm 52yrs old and though I like to be hip and love muscle cars, I don't like to announce my coming and going.
The Flowmaster AT was an easy install! Just like the video explained is the way that I did it. I'm very happy with the sound and the quality of the product.
The sound upon start gets your attention until the idle kicks in and then it tones down. When you give it gas it sounds much better than stock but it's not obtrusive in that it doesn't prevent you from having a conversation with someone riding with you nor does it interfere with your music. Now when you get on it, it lets you know that you have something special and it will put a smile on your face but settles down to a low rumble once you've brought your foot back through the firewall. I love it and also you can't see the cans from the back of the car like the OEM's. Flowmasters are black STAINLESS STEEL cans. Some might try to tell you their not stainless but they are. I think for the money, and I got mine on Autoanything for around $431.00 I think it was and that included free shipping, you can beat it. I've also been in touch with Flowmaster as they called me after I registered the product and asked how I liked it, any problems with install and let me know that there is a 10yr warranty on the product that will cover anything. I was impressed with their contact!

I didn't get my product for free or reduced price for being a test mule for them so I have no dog in this fight, and I don't get any kick backs for anyone I push towards Flowmaster but I think you'll be happy with the product. They all sound different so it depends on what you really want but I know for me, this is the sound I really want. I have a buddy in Socal who wanted to hear it and over the phone he loved the sound, plus I love the exhaust tips, they really look good!
chozn4service is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 08:12 AM   #8
01pewterz28
#TeamBeckyD

Drives: 2017 HBM 2SS Convertible A8
I have this system (I uploaded a few videos of it on YouTube do a search for 01pewterz28) I decided on this system for the sound I heard on the internet, plus the price. I like it the sound is nice not too loud. I was not ready to spend $1000 on an exhaust system right now but if I was I would order the new redesigned V6 Stainless Works system I really like the way that one sounds but like I said I am not ready to dump $1100 into and exhaust system for my V6.

If you buy it I feel you will be very happy I am

Sean
Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
Brownhornitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01pewterz28 View Post
I have this system (I uploaded a few videos of it on YouTube do a search for 01pewterz28) I decided on this system for the sound I heard on the internet, plus the price. I like it the sound is nice not too loud. I was not ready to spend $1000 on an exhaust system right now but if I was I would order the new redesigned V6 Stainless Works system I really like the way that one sounds but like I said I am not ready to dump $1100 into and exhaust system for my V6.

If you buy it I feel you will be very happy I am

Sean
Hmmmm. I checked it out on Youtube. Did you switch your system to the Flowmaster from something else?
Old 03-01-2010, 09:32 AM   #10
Brownhornitt

Chozn4service,

Your post is invaluable. Thank you so much. I am an old soul. So it brings a smile to my face when you when you say this:

"The sound upon start gets your attention until the idle kicks in and then it tones down. When you give it gas it sounds much better than stock but it's not obtrusive in that it doesn't prevent you from having a conversation with someone riding with you nor does it interfere with your music. Now when you get on it, it lets you know that you have something special and it will put a smile on your face but settles down to a low rumble once you've brought your foot back through the firewall."

That is perfect.
Old 03-01-2010, 09:45 AM   #11
bluedevil02

Drives: 2LT/RS
just an observation, but i pulld a clip of a new challenger v6 3.5l to see what the flowmaster system sounded like and it was sick...just don't understand why our motors to yield the same sound,i mean i understand theyre quite different designs...being that of similar size...anywho chk it out>>

bluedevil02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 05:52 PM   #12
Bama_SIM_Cam
QuickSilver

Drives: LS SIM Stick
I have the Flowmaster Axle Back exhaust installed (kit #817483) and ditto Chozn4service's comments. Sound is just what I was looking for and is very controllable by how much throttle is used. Tips look good, they get a little sooty on the inside but no problem to clean. Smaller black cans really clean up the view from behind. The stock cans are huge. My Flowmaster kit is welded vice clamped but I can't imagine how that would affect the sound as long as it was clamped tightly. Welding was for integrity of pipes, not sound. Price is very reasonable. I had mine installed by a local exhaust shop. $504 complete including welding the pipes and tips.

Bama_SIM_Cam ~ Oneonta, Alabama
Bama_SIM_Cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:06 PM   #13
SNV

Drives: 2014 RRM 2ls
Always keep checking Autoanything.com . They always run 10%, 15%, and 20% off. A few of us got the flowmaster system for under $400 shipped . As soon as they run another sale I will order a cargo mat from them .
Old 03-02-2010, 04:28 PM   #14
Brownhornitt

Is there any drone with this system?