Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-19-2009, 06:41 PM   #1
CDBiker220

Drives: 98 camaro z28
Is aftermarket exhaust really cat back?

I saw pictures of the GMPP exhaust and it looks like it just starts right before the mufflers, not really a cat back. To be honest, the stock true dual pipes from the cats look more than sufficient. I would rather just be able to change the muffler and tips. Any one have any info on this?
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 07:45 PM   #2
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
I know what you mean, it's pretty much just new mufflers w/ tips. That's why I'm waiting for a different aftermarket system, they usually have more pipe that goes from the mufflers to the cats, not that it probably matters that much. Guess we'll have to wait and hear how all the different systems sound once the car is out.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:18 PM   #3
Vash

Drives: 00 Blazer
Yea cat-back is somewhat generic term. It's just the pipe from the end of the Cat converter to wherever it ends with or without a muffer(s).

It's 300 hp for a V6. It's exhaust is already gonna be good flowing right off the floor and I would expect aftermarket to be marginal. Because of how GM tuned it. And really you probably would have to ditch the cats which is not really legal unless your making it offroad rally etc.
Vash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:21 PM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
with today's engineering & cat technology, i doubt removing the cats would do anything but hurt performance unless you're really doing some work to the car.
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:35 PM   #5
CDBiker220

Drives: 98 camaro z28
What im saying is that from pics ive seen, you cant really improve much on true dual mendrel bent pipes. The only real improvement can be made at the mufflers assuming you leave the stock cats. So im hoping that the "cat-back" is more of a muffler back exhaust, so as to ditch the huge stock mufflers and allow for a cheaper and easier to install system that can still make a big sound difference. i mean honestly how much better of a midpipe can an aftermarket system have?....
CDBiker220 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:59 PM   #6
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
[QUOTE=CDBiker220;298903]What im saying is that from pics ive seen, you cant really improve much on true dual mendrel bent pipes. The only real improvement can be made at the mufflers assuming you leave the stock cats. So im hoping that the "cat-back" is more of a muffler back exhaust, so as to ditch the huge stock mufflers and allow for a cheaper and easier to install system that can still make a big sound difference. i mean honestly how much better of a midpipe can an aftermarket system have?....[/QUOTE]

If the stock mid-pipe is an H-pipe and the aftermarket is an X-pipe then it might be noticable. better flow is better flow. How much that actually translates to horsepower numbers I'm not sure cause i've only dyno'd my cars with stock compared to full system, not just mid-pipe swaps.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #7
Rodrunner

Drives: 2010 SS/RS, '06 350Z
And GM is no longer calling it a catback exhaust, but instead, a Performance Exhaust Kit....mufflers & tips.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:48 AM   #8
Warghost

Drives: Camaros & Mustangs
Just wait a few months and throw a badass Flowmaster kit in there. Delete the cats and run an off-road H-pipe. The difference in power and sound will be noticeable. I believe it's a 5% increase in power with a full catback kit, so it would add about 20HP.

You might not think the exhaust system could be improved upon, but it can. Granted, the stock headers are probably almost as efficient as pricey aftermarket ones, but an aftermarket catback system will have higher flowing mufflers and expel heat much easier without catalytic converters.

The only problem is that many states have annual inspections, and they do check it. My best recommendation would be moving out of the gestapo states that still force inspections.
Warghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
blackZbandit

Drives: BLACK ON BLACK 2012 CAMARO SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warghost View Post
Just wait a few months and throw a badass Flowmaster kit in there. Delete the cats and run an off-road H-pipe. The difference in power and sound will be noticeable. I believe it's a 5% increase in power with a full catback kit, so it would add about 20HP.

You might not think the exhaust system could be improved upon, but it can. Granted, the stock headers are probably almost as efficient as pricey aftermarket ones, but an aftermarket catback system will have higher flowing mufflers and expel heat much easier without catalytic converters.

The only problem is that many states have annual inspections, and they do check it. My best recommendation would be moving out of the gestapo states that still force inspections.

But the thread is about cat backs . Looking at the undercarriage pics I have to agree with what someone above said; there's really not much you can do with the mid pipes on this car. It's already got a true duals with an x-pipe and damnit if they aren't pretty straight as it is. The only place it looks like you can really make a difference on a CAT BACK system (for those of use who don't want to ride dirty) are more free flowing mufflers. Perosnally, I plan on swapping for chambered mufflers... gotta love that sound, and some emissions legal shorties.

****Thanks to Silver Streak for the pic I used to make this sig****
blackZbandit is offline   Reply With Quote