Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 08-14-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
HookemHorns

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 Red Hot Convertible
Is it the Economy or Lost Interest?

I don't follow NASCAR, Formula1, or Indy but it seems as though the stands are very empty as opposed to the past.
HookemHorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
ViperTomcat
Banned

Drives: 2011 Avenger Heat
Primarily its the economy. Less people are showing up but they have tracks to maintain and crews to pay, so they have to charge more.

That in turn causes less people to show up.

A leads to B, B causes A.
ViperTomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 02:58 PM   #3
VictoryMuscleCars

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS RS Convert
I think it is the economy. The Brickyard 400 was like a ghost town IMO... still awesome though.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
i will watch formula 1 on TV sometimes. i was never really into nascar
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:06 PM   #5
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by HookemHorns View Post
I don't follow NASCAR, Formula1, or Indy but it seems as though the stands are very empty as opposed to the past.

NASCAR is so fake now. The cars are nowhere near stock. The bodies are flimsy fiber glass or some type of carbon fiber and the cars all look the same, they restrict the speed of cars for safety reason, and all the cars are not even American is in national anymore. It should be called International NonStock Car. It used to be that when a race was won that looked like the car on the dealers showroom floor people would go buy that car on Monday, now people know Nascar is so full of sh!t nobody even cares anymore.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
ViperTomcat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by PercyJWellingtonIII View Post
NASCAR is so fake now. The cars are nowhere near stock. The bodies are flimsy fiber glass or some type of carbon fiber and the cars all look the same, they restrict the speed of cars for safety reason, and all the cars are not even American is in national anymore. It should be called International NonStock Car. It used to be that when a race was won that looked like the car on the dealers showroom floor people would go buy that car on Monday, now people know Nascar is so full of sh!t nobody even cares anymore.
Win on Sunday, Sell on Monday" is the phrase you're looking for.
Old 08-14-2011, 03:12 PM   #7
philly joe

Drives: 2012 SS2 45th AE Camaro Convertible
Most of the tracks have actually dropped the ticket prices. I was at Pocono last week. The price dropped from $80 to $65 this year. 20% price drop isn't bad. The problem is that you're still talking $260 for a family of four. They do let you bring in your own cooler with drinks and snacks, so they do have the NFL and other sports venues beat for that as a value add for the fans. There just is less disposable income out there that there was in the past.
philly joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:17 PM   #8
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
While the economy is certainly a major problem with Nascar, it's more than that. Nascar has lost it's indentity. All the cars looks the same. Not allowing more confrontions and verbal sparring among other things. I think Nascar is realizing this and wants to get back to its roots. Lets hope they do.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM   #9
ViperTomcat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackinBlackSS/RS View Post
While the economy is certainly a major problem with Nascar, it's more than that. Nascar has lost it's indentity. All the cars looks the same. Not allowing more confrontions and verbal sparring among other things. I think Nascar is realizing this and wants to get back to its roots. Lets hope they do.
Maybe they should do something radical and ya know..race with stock cars?

Then again that would place the car companies in an uncomfortable position of actually having to build cars that people want to buy and are fast enough to no be boring on the track.

Sorry..I would fall asleep watching Taurus's, Malibus and Chargers just going round and round..especially considering the first two are one step away from being the Grandma Grocery special.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:01 PM   #10
John Deere Boy
I bleed green

Drives: '11 2SS/RS LS3
Nascar got too big for its britches.

2011 2SS/RS LS3. Delivered 4/18/11. Solo Axle-back with J-pipes and quads, 35% tint, Yellow trim kit, Showstopper sidemarkers, babied garage queen.
2006 Silverado 3500 6.0, 1993 Pontiac Bonneville SSE
John Deere Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 04:42 PM   #11
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
You want NASCAR to somehow become exciting?

Make all the race teams build Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger race cars. No generic body style, Toyota can GTFO, throw in more road courses, voila, NASCAR suddenly became more entertaining.
Old 08-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #12
ViperTomcat
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenwickHockey65 View Post
You want NASCAR to somehow become exciting?

Make all the race teams build Camaro, Mustang, and Challenger race cars. No generic body style, Toyota can GTFO, throw in more road courses, voila, NASCAR suddenly became more entertaining.

AND require that those race cars be sold to the general public. Thats how the BOSS 429 was created, to legalize the use of the 429 engine in NASCAR circles. Its the same reason why the 426 Hemi hit the streets.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:23 PM   #13
Fightinfire921

Drives: GMC Acadia, Chevrolet Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Fightinfire921
Have several figure 8 races in the mix.

Personally I think NASCAR died with Dale Sr.
Fightinfire921 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 06:28 PM   #14
thebighar

Drives: 2018 1LT RS V6 Nightfall Grey
Maybe the economy a little but its nascar themseves who made people lose interest. I had watched since 1987 and even before that, but to watch what they did to racing the last 10 years is a joke. They turned every race into a party and didnt start races until like 3 o'clock when the used to start at 12. Cars all look alike and then nascar makin shit up as they went along to get ratings just sucked. I could go on but it has just changed so much and not for the better, except for maybe jimmie johnson. Very exciting to see the same guy win the championship like 5 years in a row......
thebighar is offline   Reply With Quote