Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2012, 11:36 AM   #15
b4z

 
Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,410
Keep in mind that the track surface was cold and dusty.
I expect repeatable 3.8-3.9 0-60 times. Quarter mile times should be 11.9-12.0 at 118 mph on a good surface with a experienced driver.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:25 PM   #16
htron50


 
htron50's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 Status "Thank You!"
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SC
Posts: 2,500
It seems like 12.1 - 12.3 on a pure stock setup in less than ideal conditions should translate into Hi-Mid 11's with drag tires at a decent track. The ZL1 IS going to be an AWESOME icon to own. Anyway you look at it, I think the Motor Trend pro driver comments told the story, that despite the Boss 302 being the best Mustang ever built, it's a generation behind the ZL1:

"The Camaro clearly came out on top of this fight. Although the Boss 302 is probably the best Mustang ever built, it just feels and performs like it's a generation behind. Randy summed it up: "The Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca was my favorite American musclecar -- until today." It isn't the lack of power; it isn't the lack of amenities. It's simply a lack of technology. The Camaro is the benchmark for a new class of vehicle. Call it the Power Pony, the Warhorse -- the name isn't important. What is important is ZL1's on-demand attitude. Supercar levels of performance, with the daily driving comfort of a GT, wrapped in a nostalgic package."



PS: Note to Scott, Al, everybody: WOW! You overdelivered!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!
htron50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 12:30 PM   #17
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by htron50 View Post
It seems like 12.1 - 12.3 on a pure stock setup in less than ideal conditions should translate into Hi-Mid 11's with drag tires at a decent track. The ZL1 IS going to be an AWESOME icon to own. Anyway you look at it, I think the Motor Trend pro driver comments told the story, that despite the Boss 302 being the best Mustang ever built, it's a generation behind the ZL1:

"The Camaro clearly came out on top of this fight. Although the Boss 302 is probably the best Mustang ever built, it just feels and performs like it's a generation behind. Randy summed it up: "The Mustang Boss 302 Laguna Seca was my favorite American musclecar -- until today." It isn't the lack of power; it isn't the lack of amenities. It's simply a lack of technology. The Camaro is the benchmark for a new class of vehicle. Call it the Power Pony, the Warhorse -- the name isn't important. What is important is ZL1's on-demand attitude. Supercar levels of performance, with the daily driving comfort of a GT, wrapped in a nostalgic package."
Coming from a Pro driver, that's quite a great statement and speaks to the hard work Team CAMARO has put into our beloved car. Those 'Stang boys aren't laying down though.

BTW - are those Corsa tires street tires, or competition tires? I thought they were competition tires, but I'm not really finding that's the case. Regardless - that a car with a 400-pound weight penalty can come away, at that track (I still maintain certain tracks might yield different results), is quite a feat. I'm sure ZL1, and CAMARO, are only going to improve
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/102mm TB/custom Volant CAI/Kooks 1 7/8" LTs and 3" H-pipe/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WB/ Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #18
IcePick06
 
IcePick06's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 AGM ZL1; '07 Ducati 1098
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tha OCizzle
Posts: 724
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post


In the article comparing the ZL1 to the Boss 302, they run a better time on the same track. Now granted, this is a pro driver, but the conditions are still the same. He also seemed a lot more impressed than the editor of this article.

"In quarter-mile testing, the Camaro ran through in 12.1 seconds at 117 mph"

Read more:

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...2_laguna_seca/

Reading the Motortrend article and the CarandDriver article back to back and thinking back to Mark Reuss' comments after the ring video was released, it appears the ZL1 is indeed an "EASY" car to drive fast...that's very rewarding in itself. The suspension also seems to be very well praised by every magazine. I think if one wants a little more acceleration, a pulley swap should do the trick quite nicely.
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:11 PM   #19
IcePick06
 
IcePick06's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 AGM ZL1; '07 Ducati 1098
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Tha OCizzle
Posts: 724
It appears Motortrend squeezed 3.8 sec out of the ZL1's 0-60mph time, but they are wrong on the wheels being "cast"...that type of error makes me question their performance figures as well...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...71&188,shopper
IcePick06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 01:16 PM   #20
radz28
Petro-sexual
 
radz28's Avatar
 
Drives: Ultra-Grin
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Crapramento, Crapifornia
Posts: 13,087
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcePick06 View Post
It appears Motortrend squeezed 3.8 sec out of the ZL1's 0-60mph time, but they are wrong on the wheels being "cast"...that type of error makes me question their performance figures as well...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...71&188,shopper
I honestly don't expect to see repeatable 3.8 60's. I see the point about the cast vs forged comments but that's one of the smaller details easy to overlook. Even GM was saying HID foglights at introduction a year ago, so I'm not too surprised. I'm more interested in what the circumstances were for the test and what the equipment was more than anything.

JMVHO.
__________________
05 Hummer H2 SUV on OEM Air Ride
Forged 11.4:1 408 LQ4/CPP LS3 CNC heads/BTR Stage IV LS3 cam/home ported L92 intake manifold/102mm TB/custom Volant CAI/Kooks 1 7/8" LTs and 3" H-pipe/AFE dual 3" CB/Corvette Servo/el cheapo lift/Cognito UCAs/Sphon poly adjustable TA/Sphon adjustable rear LCAs/e'fan conversion/DirtyMax radiator/Moroso catchcan/HPTuners/HID conversion/LED exterior lighting/LED interior accents/Autometer Cobalts/AEM WB/ Pioneer AVH-5600BHS/Pioneer GM-9601/2-Pioneer TS-W310D4s/Obcon Labyrinth dual-12 box/lots of other little stuff
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:41 PM   #21
KLR ZL1
H-Town Camaro Club Member
 
KLR ZL1's Avatar
 
Drives: 17 Hyper Blue Metallic KLR-ZL1
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Pearland Tx.
Posts: 1,995
Did I read that correctly a NO LIFT SHIFT? That is the first I have heard of that on the ZL1. Pretty sweet.
__________________
KLR ZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #22
b4z

 
Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '09 V8 SRX RWD
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Charleston, SC
Posts: 1,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
I honestly don't expect to see repeatable 3.8 60's. I see the point about the cast vs forged comments but that's one of the smaller details easy to overlook. Even GM was saying HID foglights at introduction a year ago, so I'm not too surprised. I'm more interested in what the circumstances were for the test and what the equipment was more than anything.

JMVHO.
The cts-v's do o-60 in 3.9-4.0 secs repeatable in many mag tests.
The zl-1 weighs 100-150 lbs less.
The ZL-1 has 24hp more.
PTM.
Taller tires
Wider tires

I do expect repeatable 3.8s.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #23
KMPrenger


 
KMPrenger's Avatar
 
Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Jefferson City, Missouri
Posts: 13,146
MT is claiming 3.8 and 12.1
__________________
2016 Camaro 1SS - 8-speed - NPP - Black bowties
2010 Camaro 1LT V6 (Sold. I will miss her!)
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM   #24
Sawyer


 
Sawyer's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 5.0
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Maryland
Posts: 2,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack2010 View Post
Did I read that correctly a NO LIFT SHIFT? That is the first I have heard of that on the ZL1. Pretty sweet.
That is pretty sweet.
__________________
2013 Mustang GT Black M6
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:16 PM   #25
avcbm
 
avcbm's Avatar
 
Drives: Camaro ZL1
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Jacksonville (area), FL
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackonblack2010 View Post
Did I read that correctly a NO LIFT SHIFT? That is the first I have heard of that on the ZL1. Pretty sweet.
What is this new feature you speak of... this NO LIFT SHIFT?
__________________

2012 Camaro ZL1
2010 Camaro SS (Sold)
avcbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:19 PM   #26
toilets

 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southeast,
Posts: 842
At full throttle you don't need to "lift" off the throttle while up shifting
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:21 PM   #27
toilets

 
Drives: 2010 camaro
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Southeast,
Posts: 842
Although, I swear the SS has this same feature as well. Just not advertised.
toilets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #28
Blown355

 
Blown355's Avatar
 
Drives: 2017 ZL1 A10
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin TX
Posts: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by avcbm View Post
What is this new feature you speak of... this NO LIFT SHIFT?
I don't think it's a new feature it's just a power shift. I have power shifted my 2010 several times at the drag strip. Unfortunately, the torque management doesn't like it, and dials back the power for a second or so. Making for a crappy quarter mile time.
__________________
2017 ZL1
A10
Redhot with stripe
Blown355 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Tags
2012 camaro z1l review, 2012 camaro zl1, 2012 camaro zl1 reviews, 2012 zl1, 2013 camaro zl1, 2013 camaro zl1 review, 2013 camaro zl1 reviews, 2013 zl1, camaro zl1, camaro zl1 forum, camaro zl1 forums, camaro zl1 info, camaro zl1 review, camaro zl1 reviews, chevrolet camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1, chevy camaro zl1 forum, chevy camaro zl1 info, zl1 camaro, zl1 forum, zl1 forums, zl1 info, zl1 review, zl1 reviews

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY: LS3 Camshaft Install (a lot of pictures, may take a moment to load) robertway Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions 294 04-09-2018 08:41 PM
Camaro5 Fest III "Official" Pre-Registration garcmol 2012 Camaro5 Fest (III) 1631 02-23-2013 05:23 PM
Just for fun take a walk down memory lane Beandip2811 General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 15 08-09-2009 10:26 AM
2008 Pontiac G8 review in Car and Driver Fbodybuddy General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 9 10-26-2007 12:13 PM
Zeta platform car and driver review (basis for new Camaro and GM cars) 2001ragtop General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion 0 11-15-2006 03:25 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.