Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 02-02-2012, 08:31 PM   #1
fz6r

Drives: Camaro
Tweeters

Okay, so after seeing how many people here run JL Audio amps, I figured they had to be good and pulled the plug- put an XD 400/4 driving Alpine Type S's in my non-BA and it sounds so much better (after tuning down the gain and adjusting the filters). My problem now is the tweeters. THEY ARE SO LOUD. I have the bass tuned up a bit on the head unit, as well as the treble because I like a clean sound. When I turn the the treble down on the head unit, the tweeters are still loud, just not crisp anymore, which doesn't help solve the problem... now I have an overpowering muddy sound coming out of the tweeters. The Alpines and my sub sound super clean now, but the tweeters are way too loud in relation to the other speakers, it gives me a headache. Fading to the back makes the door speakers too low, and the tweeters are still too loud in relation to the doors at any level. Tweeters are stock, and would really not like to get component speakers because money's tight, and this already cost me a good amount of money. Plus, I'm trying to save up for the front firing sub enclosure from Steve at ******** . What can I do?
fz6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #2
MikeYoungSS1

Drives: 2010 Black SS ADM Built
Is your amp set for full range or high pass?
MikeYoungSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 09:54 PM   #3
fz6r

Drives: Camaro
Had it at high pass for the fronts and I found it lacked bass, so now the filter is off for the front channels.
fz6r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 10:02 PM   #4
MikeYoungSS1

What is the input sens dial set at for the fronts? And what crossover freq? A lot of the problem rests with the fact that you are really lacking low range freq right now until the sub. And the JL amp is pushing what it should be pushing which is really mids and highs.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:04 PM   #5
MikeYoungSS1

Wait, never mind. You already have a sub. This comes down to a tuning problem then.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:34 PM   #6
BUMBLE-B-TUNA

Drives: 2010 SS
Not an expert by any means but if your running stock tweeters, they are running 4 ohms versus 2ohms for the aftermarket door speakers (maybe vise-versa). They will be louder as a result. I'm just guessing though, someone with more knowledge should chime in.
JRE 470 RWHP Rough Idle Cam & Tune, Stainless Power LT Headers w/cats, Dynatech exhaust (no drone baby) CAI Intake, 4.10 Gears, JRE Posi Mod, JRE Billet Caps, LPW Diff Cover, Pfadt Diff Bushings, MGW Shifter, SJM Line-lock and bald tires.
BUMBLE-B-TUNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
Duper

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS / RS
I've said this in other threads before, but what's missing the most in stereo upgrades is some sort of audio processing. Your tweeters sound loud because they're closer to your head and have a more direct path to your ears than the mids do from the doors. Frequencies in that range are likely spiking much higher than from the mids. Working with a stereo system in a car is much more complex than one in your home and you need something that can clean up the signal and give you a much flatter frequency response.

Alpine makes one called the Imprint (H660), Audison makes a BitOne, JBL makes an MS8. The net of it is that anything short of a processor will produce disappointing results. I speak from the experience of tearing my car apart several times over in search of better sound; but it's also my hobby so I don't mind so much.

Cheers and good luck!
Old 02-04-2012, 12:10 PM   #8
justa25thTA

Drives: 2011 Camaro SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BUMBLE-B-TUNA View Post
Not an expert by any means but if your running stock tweeters, they are running 4 ohms versus 2ohms for the aftermarket door speakers (maybe vise-versa). They will be louder as a result. I'm just guessing though, someone with more knowledge should chime in.

you could always put a 2 ohm resister in series with the tweeter to test it out

Tags
jl audio, tweeters