Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 12-06-2019, 05:53 PM   #1
ZL1_Slowmaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1
ZL1 NPP function like Z06 NPP

Hello, I have a 2013 ZL1 now. Coming from a 2008 Z06.

I have searched for options on this to no avail. I understand there are options for 3 way switch on the NPP via the Forza controller, I currently have a mild to wild.

However,

I want the “stock” way my exhaust works to operate like a “stock” c6 Z06. Flaps closed on start up and on normal driving, and then after hard acceleration or over a certain throttle percent to open up. And then the option to open it up via mild to wild to always open.

Don’t care for the stock Camaro NPP operation - where open on idle and then closed while driving around except on hard accel.

Loved having that chop chop at idle then shutting it off all while sitting in a parking lot or just idling. So not opposed to a 2 way switch where it operates either always open or always closed. If I have to go that route, how can I wire in my mild to wild to operate as an always open or always closed switch? Or can I swap out a part that makes the Z06 operate in the manner it does?

Thank you for the feed back.
ZL1_Slowmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2019, 06:00 PM   #2
pnwdan

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Seems to me you would just have to wire in a relay that switches the flaps to closed until it sees a signal from something. After it sees the signal it reverts back to stock. And stays stock throughout the operation after that. You would have to find somewhere to pull the signal from that coincides with timing you need.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 12-06-2019, 11:37 PM   #3
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
A few weeks back I posted up this thread about installing a 3 way switch. Since you said you are okay with always open and always closed, this would work (however it still wouldn’t make it function exactly like a ZO6). In case my link doesn’t work, the post is on page 2 or 3 in the general forum under “NPP 3-way switch location.”

Just wire a wired 3 way like I did or order the Forza 3 way remote if you don’t mind paying. You can chop-chop at idle then quiet it up while sitting:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565292
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:37 AM   #4
Matty Ice

Drives: 2015 SS/RS 1LE
Not sure if the Vette has electric or vacuum actuators. On the Camaros it is vacuum so the valve won't close until there is vacuum, so it always starts on open then moves to closed once vacuum builds. At least that is my understanding of how it works.
Matty Ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:42 AM   #5
pnwdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
Not sure if the Vette has electric or vacuum actuators. On the Camaros it is vacuum so the valve won't close until there is vacuum, so it always starts on open then moves to closed once vacuum builds. At least that is my understanding of how it works.
Vacuum is almost instant and even exists in the system after the car sits. I have a 3 way switch and I can flip it closed before I insert my key and the flaps close immediately when I turn the key.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:34 AM   #6
Matty Ice

Just to clarify, so when you do a "quiet" start, the flaps will be closed when starting? You won't get the loud bark like the stock set up? That's the reason I have not got the controller. I either want it on, full quiet on start up and driving, or full obnoxious. : )
Old 12-07-2019, 10:53 AM   #7
pnwdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matty Ice View Post
Just to clarify, so when you do a "quiet" start, the flaps will be closed when starting? You won't get the loud bark like the stock set up? That's the reason I have not got the controller. I either want it on, full quiet on start up and driving, or full obnoxious. : )
I'm not sure of you are asking this towards me but..

When I close my flaps before turing the key on, the car starts quieter. There is still a bark but it is less. I have long tubes, no cats, and a cam so its inherently louder than a stock Camaro anyway. Because the flaps are vacuum activated there is a possibility that this wont work if the car sits for any measure of time as the line night lose its vaccum over time. Sitting one to two days mine holds the vaccum in the line.

Old 12-07-2019, 11:32 AM   #8
Matty Ice

Yep, cool, exactly what is was looking for. Thanks for the info.
Old 12-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #9
ZL1_Slowmaro

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black 6.2L SS View Post
A few weeks back I posted up this thread about installing a 3 way switch. Since you said you are okay with always open and always closed, this would work (however it still wouldn’t make it function exactly like a ZO6). In case my link doesn’t work, the post is on page 2 or 3 in the general forum under “NPP 3-way switch location.”

Just wire a wired 3 way like I did or order the Forza 3 way remote if you don’t mind paying. You can chop-chop at idle then quiet it up while sitting:

https://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=565292
Do you think there is a way to just wire in the 2 way mild to wild switch to be just open or just closed?
ZL1_Slowmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:34 AM   #10
Black 6.2L SS

Drives: 2014 1SS/RS, LS3, NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL1_Slowmaro View Post
Do you think there is a way to just wire in the 2 way mild to wild switch to be just open or just closed?
I ran that 2-way mild to wild remote for a while (a generic version). I’ve never read of anybody successfully getting full closed with the 2-way. It’s either factory setting or full open.

To be able to access fully closed I’m pretty sure you’re going to have to go with a 3-way switch (or the Forza 3 way).
Black 6.2L SS is offline   Reply With Quote