Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 04-16-2019, 02:16 PM   #15
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by hill_billy View Post
I bought an SCT X4 off Steve and had him tune my car after I installed headers. Really good experience dealing with Steve, and my car runs great. I'm having a cam installed in June and plan to talk to Steve about getting another tune for the cam upgrade.

From what I understand (could be wrong), if you data log, get your tune updated based on the recorded data, and work through that process a few times, your tune should be the same (or very similar) as a street tune. It's a great option for people that don't live near reputable programmers or dyno shops.
Good luck. I never did get a tune that didn't die at stoplights after I installed my cam. I ended up just getting it dyno-tuned.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #16
hill_billy

Drives: 2013 Black SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Good luck. I never did get a tune that didn't die at stoplights after I installed my cam. I ended up just getting it dyno-tuned.
I have a couple questions about your mods and don't want to thread jack. Sending you a pm.
hill_billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 09:45 AM   #17
GodWentPunk

Drives: 2015 2SS White Convertible CE/INDY
Quote:
Originally Posted by irish108 View Post
I was looking to buy the SCT X4. So I reached out to Steve and he recommended me to get the latest version which is the SCT BDX GM 40490. So I did. Got it within a few days. I went through all the steps of uploading and sending my stock file. In less than a day I had a new Tune in the car. WOW what a difference. I learned about Steve on this forum. Thanks to all of you who recommended Steve. Couldn't be happier with the whole experience and the product itself. I can't even imagine what the car would feel like with headers and a cam with Steve's Tuning. I'll be reaching out to him for more Tunes for sure.

I'm looking at the 40490 and when I view the instructions, I can't see how to upload the stock tune from my car to the device that I would be sending to Steve. Do you recall how you did yours?

joe...
Old 04-17-2019, 03:00 PM   #18
GodWentPunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
Hey Joe

Just give me a call sir and i can talk you through it in the phone sir, you will have to ring me cell as im back in the hospital currently at the moment

Steve... Dang.. no rush... I'm going to place my order today so if you can, just jot down some notes to this thread so I (as well as others) will be able see.

joe...
Old 04-17-2019, 03:47 PM   #19
irish108

Drives: chevrolet camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GodWentPunk View Post
I'm looking at the 40490 and when I view the instructions, I can't see how to upload the stock tune from my car to the device that I would be sending to Steve. Do you recall how you did yours?

joe...
steve has a nice video on youtube explaining just what to do. just type in RDPmotorsport and it should pop right up. I watched that a few times and just followed along. my biggest problem was figuring out this damn windows 10 crap thats on my computer.
irish108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 04:22 PM   #20
Moto-Mojo
Fast Cars and Old Guitars

Drives: 2015 2SS RS (L99, baby!)
Here is the link from Steve, hang in there, it’s really pretty straight forward. And Steve, here’s to a speedy exit from the hospital!

https://youtu.be/rb9D0yJWee0
Old 04-17-2019, 04:32 PM   #21
GodWentPunk

The video is for the X4. The OP has the "SCT BDX GM 40490" which is the version I got and the instructions looks a little different. The 40490 allows you to upload/download your tunes from your cloud account right to the handheld and then to your car, no PC required.

joe...
Old 04-17-2019, 05:25 PM   #22
Moto-Mojo

Figures. The whole computer world has changed since just last October. I’ll be glad when we decide we no longer need these effin things. Sorry. As you were.
Old 04-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #23
GodWentPunk

Singing in my hannah Montana voice "You get the best of both worlds"
GodWentPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 06:12 PM   #24
hill_billy

Drives: 2013 Black SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dynosteve View Post
Hey Joe

Just give me a call sir and i can talk you through it in the phone sir, you will have to ring me cell as im back in the hospital currently at the moment

Paraphrasing...."call me while I'm in the hospital and I will help you". That is customer support!

Good luck Steve! Hope you get better quickly.
hill_billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:33 AM   #25
uvraise

Drives: 2021 Camaro SS Convertible
Steve did the tune on my 15 SS. The first tune was a little too aggressive for my tire budget, so I contacted Steve, told him my concern and he dialed it back a bit. I reference him every chance I get, he's "Aces" to work with!

If you see this Steve, get well soon!

2015 SS2/RS, SCT Tune (Dynosteve), Vitesse Throttle Controller, Vararam VR-DRX CAI, Vararam Power Wedge TBS, Granatelli Performance MAF
uvraise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 10:39 AM   #26
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by uvraise View Post
Steve did the tune on my 15 SS. The first tune was a little too aggressive for my tire budget, so I contacted Steve, told him my concern and he dialed it back a bit. I reference him every chance I get, he's "Aces" to work with!

If you see this Steve, get well soon!

I found the same thing initially that the tune was too aggressive for me especially coming from stock. So he did a few tweaks to dial it back. Guess what? I've been back to the original one for a long time now. I just didn't give it enough of a chance to get used to. Love it now.... Your mileage may vary on that of course.
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 11:28 AM   #27
TheFlyingBananaSS
Evil Genius of Chevrolet

Drives: 2017 Z06, 2019 XTS, 2013 SS
Steve did my tune and I love it. If I could go even more aggressive, I would.

I can relate to the windows 10 issues. Can we go back to windows 95?
GPI SS2 VVT cam, ECS Novi 1500 supercharger, Corsa Extreme, Detroit Speed and BMR suspension, Circle D triple disc, Melling oil pump, LS2 chain tensioner, ATI 10% UD, DSX E85 kit, High Energy coils, BTR springs, LS2 Lifter trays, Titanium retainers, hardened push rods, FIC 1000 injectors, ZL1 pump, Mighty Mouse catch can, AEM gauges, Tial BOV, Richmond 3.91 gears, Custom gauge bezels, Speed Engineering headers, Stainless Works HF cats, DSX Aux pump, 710rwhp on E85.
TheFlyingBananaSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2019, 03:36 PM   #28
Moto-Mojo

For all my railing against computers, it’s pretty cool having the ability to tune through a handheld device and go back and forth to the different tunes. My concern is the potential for file corruption to more times you do it. Anyone experienced that?