Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 11-17-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS IOM Vert
Photos of Stock Speakers: Boston vs Non Boston

I thought I would share some photos that I took of the factory speakers for the 2010 Camaro to give you an idea what your speakers look like without dissecting your car. These are just extras I bought for various projects. Maybe we could sticky this and add to it as we get more photos.

Let's start with the front door speakers. The front speakers in both the Boston and Non Boston Systems appear to be very very similar. You wouldn't think this was the case at all since us Boston guys paid $500 extra for our system--only to have the same front speakers as the standard audio system. One would naturally think All the speakers would be different in addition to the boston amp running them. The difference in the output of these two systems is in the amp and rear speakers--not because the front speakers are any different or better. The only real difference I see between these two is the impedence rating on the part number sticker. The boston is 2ohm and the base speaker is 4ohm. The plastic casing is identical in both and therefore would be interchangeable from one system to the next.

As you can see, the door speakers are built into a plastic pod that is several inches tall. Attempting to replace these is not an easy task. You will likely have to build a similar pod or gut the factory one to mount your new speaker into.

Even the part number is the same. Here's the back side comparison

Unfortunately I don't have a Boston door tweeter to show. I would be interested if anyone has taken photos of the door tweeter or the factory wiring inside the doors.

Now to the rear speakers

The rear 6x9 speakers are actually quite different. As you can see the 6x9 speakers on the base system have a paper cone tweeter, whereas the Boston tweets are mounted on a bridge and are fed by their own set of speaker wires off the amp.

The back side doesn't reveal too much, but you can see the difference in the magnet size and the 2-wire connector on the base speaker and the 4-wire connector on the boston speaker.

This photo says quite a bit to me. Notice how the boston 6x9 seems a like a giant compared to the standard speaker.

It's fairly obvious which system is going to sound better when you compare the two. For the cost, I think the boston upgrade is definitely worth it--especially since it's more easily upgradeable with the addition of our harness and a sub. It's too bad GM didn't put better speakers up front in the Boston system. This might have been a deterrant to keep guys from replacing them.

Keep in mind that if you plan to simply replace your speakers, (whichever system you have) you may get better quality sound, but are not likely to get much more output without the addition of a more powerful aftermarket amp. The factory speakers are low power speakers and are made specifically for this application. Aftermarket speakers typically require more power and the lower power from these systems just don't move them enough to satisfy.

Now you at least know what your speakers look like.

Last edited by Steve@Subthump; 11-17-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Steve@Subthump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Thanks for the info and pics.
Do you think its possible to disable the subwoofer in the 6x9 (bose) but keep the tweeters working?

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
Thanks for the info and pics.
Do you think its possible to disable the subwoofer in the 6x9 (bose) but keep the tweeters working?
Yes, I do think it's possible. I'm curious though why you'd want to do that..
Old 11-17-2010, 05:01 PM   #4
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
wow, I was shocked when I looked at these comparisons, I figured the Boston speakers would all have been an improvement over the non Boston, thanks GM.
Old 11-17-2010, 05:09 PM   #5
larryt1026

Drives: 2011 Camaro LT
This is real interesting. So if I were to purchase a set of Boston Acoustics for my LS, they would fit? Also...it wouldn't sound much better without an amp, correct? Thanks!!
larryt1026 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryt1026 View Post
This is real interesting. So if I were to purchase a set of Boston Acoustics for my LS, they would fit? Also...it wouldn't sound much better without an amp, correct? Thanks!!
It would definitely fit. The plastic encasing is identical. It's possible that it would play louder too because the boston door speaker is a 2ohm speaker, wheras the base speaker is 4ohm. So it would draw more power from the radio, although I dunno if the radio would be bothered by the lower impedence.
Old 11-17-2010, 06:00 PM   #7
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Steve:
What is the pre-amp voltage of the speaker lines into the Boston Amp from the head unit? What is the voltage of the speaker lines after the amp? You mentioned the factory speakers are "low power". Is that why a LOC isn't necessary with your harness? Is your harness using post-amp (high level) or pre-amp (low level) speaker lines? My amp's input sensitivity is .2 - 2.5 Volts.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #8
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hicompression View Post
Steve:
What is the pre-amp voltage of the speaker lines into the Boston Amp from the head unit? What is the voltage of the speaker lines after the amp? You mentioned the factory speakers are "low power". Is that why a LOC isn't necessary with your harness? Is your harness using post-amp (high level) or pre-amp (low level) speaker lines? My amp's input sensitivity is .2 - 2.5 Volts.

I'm not referring to voltage or any of that other stuff you are asking about. What I mean power in watts that is pushing the speakers. Factory radio is lucky to be pushing 20w per channel and the boston amp maybe 30-40watts. Compare that to a good afterket amp that can push 50, 60,70,100 watts rms. Huge difference.
Old 11-17-2010, 08:50 PM   #9
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
Yes, I do think it's possible. I'm curious though why you'd want to do that..
I have subs in the trunk and it just sounds better to me with the 6x9's off, only thing missing is the highs. The BA speakers can't handle bass for shit and since my amp does not have a remote bass knob it's difficult for me to lower the bass enough without it also affecting my subs more than I want it to.

I guess I'll have to cut a wire to do it as pulling the harness kills the whole speaker

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #10
Steve@Subthump
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
I have subs in the trunk and it just sounds better to me with the 6x9's off, only thing missing is the highs. The BA speakers can't handle bass for shit and since my amp does not have a remote bass knob it's difficult for me to lower the bass enough without it also affecting my subs more than I want it to.

I guess I'll have to cut a wire to do it as pulling the harness kills the whole speaker
Only thing you can do is snip or unsolder one of the tinsel leads on the mid or cut one of the wires in harness.
Old 11-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #11
Hicompression
Rumbly Bumble Bee

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve@******** View Post
I'm not referring to voltage or any of that other stuff you are asking about. What I mean power in watts that is pushing the speakers. Factory radio is lucky to be pushing 20w per channel and the boston amp maybe 30-40watts. Compare that to a good afterket amp that can push 50, 60,70,100 watts rms. Huge difference.
Yep. Got an email today. Free XM for two weeks.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #12
supaman

Drives: CGM w/IOM rally 2LT/RS
I'm guessing the reason for the front speakers looking so similar is that they both are Boston acoustics. I've done a few audio installs myself and factory speakers usually look like lesser quality. I'm guessing GM got a really good deal out of Boston and got them to supply the base system front speakers as well. That way you get a kick ass premium system and still a pretty good sound out of the standard system.
Any pics of the sub? And nice job to GM for moving it to under the rear seats on the vert!

Rumblebee is on the prowl!
supaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:43 PM   #13
Knockoutpie

Drives: 2014 2SS RS Coupe
Found this useful, trying to buy speaker adapters for front to avoid cutting wires.. can't find anywhere! :{ HELP

BA