Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 06-25-2010, 08:27 AM   #1
2010 Bumblebee

Drives: Transformers Edition Camaro 2SS/RS
I'm really impressed with the Camaro SS handling on wet mountain roads, and the GVW.

Hello,

Just so you guys know I'm a 40 year old professional driver. I drive a gasoline tanker about 350 miles and 12 hrs a day. I've owned 20-30 cars in my life. A lot of them have been sports cars for example 67 camaro rs conv, 66 chevelle ss 396, 80 Turbo T/A indy pace car, 89 Formula 350, and some sedans like subaru's, mazdas, dodges, hondas, ect...

Anyway, I took my Camaro SS/RS A6 out for a real road trip yesturday to the mountains. I drove about 100 miles to get to the mountains, and about 100 miles to get back. Total I drove about 8.5 hours and about 400 miles.

I knew there was a chance of heavy rain, but I wasn't going to let it ruin my day. Keep in mind I've been protecting my car from the elements in a garage for 5 months. So, I've never driven it in the rain before.

I was really impressed with the cars handling, braking, and accelerating in the rain. I was driving on curvy roads with steep inclines and declines in windy sever thunderstorm weather at times. I tried hard accelerations with and without the traction control, went thru the mountain curves at dry weather speed. The car handled in the rain the whole time just like the roads were dry! It accelerated up the inclines like it was nothing. I never felt any power loss at high altitudes. During the declines the car braked effortlessly. Infact I really didn't have to brake too much because the motor help out a bit. One time I did use the tap shift to go down to 5th to help keep the car from coasting away past the 55 MPH speed limit. Everything felt so tight and resposive just as if it was a sunny day. I've never felt so safe in a car before.

All this got me thinking about the cars GVW. Some people complain about the weight of the car but after driving in the rain I'm happy to say that I'm glad the car is heavy and strong. I'm happy that the car is built well and strong. It gives me that extra feeling of security driving in unplanned bad weather.

The car is very comforable. After all that driving, basically 400 miles in 8.5 hours, my wife and I never got uncomfortable, or soar behinds. The car is great to drive!

Another thing I found a use for after 5 months was the tap shifter. I used it for 2 things yesturday going down steep grades, and when that mustang pulled up to me I put it in the power range ! He didn't like that very much !

Northern Massachusetts & Southern New Hampshire Camaro Club
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/group.php?groupid=127

The mother of all supercharger questions thread
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=77958

My 2010 Camaro Review
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2025442#post2025442

2010 Transformer Edition Camaro L99 Auto
2010 Bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
guiLT
Tampa Gulf Coast Family

Drives: 2001 Maxima
Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #3
Moorepheus

Drives: 2013 Dodge Charge R/T Plus AWD
I was very impressed with it also on wet roads. I Picked my car up on March 13th, about 37 degress out side and RAINING. When I would accelerate, you keep feel the car wanting to slip sideways, but ST and TC kept her staight. She handles pretty damn good in the rain, for a sports car and summer tires.
Moorepheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:51 AM   #4
Roddd 1SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS
I live in San Diego, can someone clue me in on "rain?"
Roddd 1SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 12:46 PM   #5
Nitrosniffer
40 Years Later

Drives: 2010 2SS Camaro w/ RS - CGM
I am also really impressed - coming from Vancouver, Canada, rain is something you expect, and you need to be comfortable driving in it.
A couple of weeks ago, I took a friend out for a spin. It was raining (of course), and on a quiet highway, I laid into the throttle to show off the growl of the V8. I felt the rear end get a little bit loose, but it was quickly reined in before the TC light even came on. Driving through Utah the other week, I found myself in the midst of a torrential rainstorm/thunderstorm, and the car barely moved out of it's lane, even when passing a semi.
Thumbs up to GM for making an incredibly stable car.
Nitrosniffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Good to have a professional's perspective on the car, especially one so positive!

THE WAIT IS KILLING ME

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:23 PM   #7
green man

Drives: 1SS/RS M6
Umm, no offense to the OP, but I would not call a truck driver a "professional driver" when it comes to evaluating sports cars.

That said I agree with the OP's assessment, the car handles well for a big car but I still wish it was 300 pounds lighter.