Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-06-2007, 08:00 PM   #1
KILLER74Z28
MOD SQUAD

Drives: 2G1FT1EW9A9100666
Ford gets 5 top quality awards

Ford gets 5 top quality awards

Porsche takes the top spot and Mercedes is most improved brand in latest J.D. Power survey

By Peter Valdes-Dapena, CNNMoney.com staff writer
POSTED: 2:38 p.m. EDT, June 6, 2007

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Five vehicles from Ford Motor Co. placed at the top of their categories in initial quality, according to a survey released Wednesday by J.D. Power and Associates.

The 2007 J.D. Power Initial Quality Study looks at both manufacturing defects and design problems in new cars as reported by their owners.

The Ford Mustang ranked as the most problem-free "Midsize sporty car" in the survey while the Mercury Milan was the highest ranked midsized car and the closely related Lincoln MKZ was the top-ranked "Entry premium car."

The Lincoln Mark LT, a luxury version of the Ford F150 truck, was the top-ranked SUV and the Mazda MX-5 Miata was the top-ranked "compact sporty car." (Ford owns a controlling interest in Mazda.)

All three of Ford's U.S.-based brands - Ford, Lincoln and Mercury - earned above-average marks for quality. Ford's European luxury car brand Jaguar ranked sixth, tying with Toyota's Toyota brand.

The overall top brand, on average, was Porsche with 91 problems per 100 vehicles. (The average car in the survey had 125 problems per 100 vehicles.) The Porsche Boxster was the top-ranked "Compact premium sporty car," according to the survey.

The second-ranked brand overall was Toyota's Lexus luxury brand followed by Lincoln, Honda and Mercedes-Benz.

The Mercedes-Benz SL-class was the top-ranked "Premium sporty car" and the E-class was the top-ranked "midsize premium car." The Mercedes-Benz S-class tied with the Audi A8 as the top-ranked "large premium car."

Mercedes-Benz has not done well in J.D. Power surveys in the past but jumped 20 places in the rankings this year to finish fifth.

"All Mercedes-Benz models in the study improved substantially," said Neal Oddes, director of product research and analysis for J.D. Power, in the announcement, "and the breadth and speed of these improvements demonstrates the Mercedes-Benz commitment to quality."

No GM brands earned above-average scores in the survey. GM's best-ranking brand was Buick with 127 problems per 100 vehicles, a score that placed it just below average.

The highest ranking brand from DaimlerChrysler's U.S.-based division, the Chrysler Group, was Chrysler. Chrysler had 151 problems per 100 vehicles, placing it well below average.

At the bottom of the scale, Ford's luxury SUV division, Land Rover, ranked last of all brands with 170 problems per 100 vehicles. Still, that represents a reduction of 34 problems per 100 vehicles from last year.

Despite taking the top spot in the "small sporty car" segment with the Miata, Mazda finished second-to-last among brands overall with 163 problems per 100 vehicles.

Top ranked vehicles

Subcompact: Kia Rio/Rio5

Compact: Honda Civic

Compact sporty: Mazda MX-5 Miata

Compact premium sporty: Porsche Boxster

Entry Premium: Lincoln MKZ

Midsized premium: Mercedes-Benz E-class

Large premium: Audi A8/Mercedes-Benz S-class

Premium sporty: Mercedes-Benz SL-class

Midsized sporty: Ford Mustang

Midsize: Mercury Milan

Large: Pontiac Grand Prix

Compact SUV: Honda CR-V

Midsize SUV: Toyota 4Runner

Lage SUV: Toyota Sequoia

Midsize Premium SUV: Lexus RX

Large Premium SUV: Lincoln Mark LT

Large pickup: Chevrolet Silverado Classic HD

Midsize pickup: Toyota Tacoma

Van: Chevrolet Express

Source: J.D. Power and Associates
KILLER74Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 PM   #2
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
kudos to Ford

...Now step it up GM, you're better than this
Camaro will have 0 problems per 100 vehicles....yeah, right!! HAha. Maybe 70 I'm guessing. You can't go wrong with a Camaro....
Old 06-06-2007, 09:26 PM   #3
stevenm357

Drives: 98 Trans am 00 Trans am 01 corvette
hope mustang can relish in that spot till the camaro rips it away!

2001 Corvette
Heads,Big cam, 4:11, Custom Exhaust, MGW Shifter Baer Eradispeed +2 2 pieces rotors, Hotchkiss swaybars. and a few other little things.

1998 Trans Am A4 ( was STS turbo until the turbo and oil pump died)

2000 WS6 Trans AM under the knife ( sadly turned into long term project.
stevenm357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 03:22 AM   #4
Rock36
I just like V8s

Drives: 2007 Corvette Z06
This is a good thing for American brands in general.

2007 Corvette Z06: Le Mans blue, 2LZ

Rock36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Yup. I was watching this on MSNBC last night. They did a whole spot on Toyota and how even though The Big 3 have what they called "equal" quality on build and problems now (they mainly stuck to Ford of the big 3), public perception is based off of past build quality. The public seems to still believe Toyota makes a better vehicle...even though quality is the same (according to surveys). And...Toyota is being "modest", saying they don't want to steal away the market in the truck group witht the Tundra from Ford. BS.

But, kudos to Ford once again. Now...let's see what's going to happen over the next 5 years when GM comes out with all these Zeta based vehicles. This is going to be intersting...and a good outcome IMHO.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 12:28 AM   #6
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
...even though The Big 3 have what they called "equal" quality on build and problems now (they mainly stuck to Ford of the big 3), public perception is based off of past build quality. The public seems to still believe Toyota makes a better vehicle
Exaclty! It really pains me to see someone driving in a foriegn vehicle, but believe that it's a better car naturally. A pity, really, people are so easily jaded nowadays. One of my friends parents ( I think I mentioned this) chose immediatley to buy another toyota because, they have a naturally better re-sale value! Bull-crap!

And the last thing that bugs me is that the people who claim that they respect American vehicles and like them better (hey, there are crazies like this out there, look around ) STILL BUY FORIEGN!!! "they just make better cars. It's sad that the Big three don't have better cars." No shit, Sherlock! Instead of pooh-poohing them, help them - because it people like you who drive sales away form them and toughen their competition!

all better now!