Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-09-2010, 09:52 AM   #15
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
oh and thanks for your opinion the more the better. Lets make VVT the next big thing.
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #16
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
whos the shop? I would like to call them as well. I like the idea of vvt. You can look their numbers up and call them and they will tell you like they did me they can do whatever you want but prefer DOD/vvt delete. Trust me I have spoken with all of them several times on the phone. If they would have been ok and in favor of vvt then I would have jumped on it as it is cheaper for the same power. I would liek to call the shop you spoke with and get a qoute.
You TOTALLY missed the point... I'm not talking about the cheap route of leaving the lifters in. And yes ALL these shops will advise you to remove the crappy AFM lifters...

I'm saying swap the lifters and keep VVT best of both worlds... I'll give you a few shops... Fastlane (the one I was talking about), G-Force, LMR, ARD... I've spoken to all of them on the subject.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:55 AM   #17
jsharp

no I didnt miss the point I mean there are shops that do it both ways retaining lifters and swapping with either LS3 or most commonly it seems Ls7. These most commonly referred to as VVT with afm delete builds around 2500. I am with you I promise. Thanks I need to look into some more the thing that scares me is the guys at texas speed say that tuning of the cam is really done by then as they give the numbers needed for "phasers". But the overall tune of ecm and tcm is on the tune so I want to go to someone good.
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
Old 11-09-2010, 12:26 PM   #18
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
everyone but a couple of shops will advise deleting dod/vvt and afm. Even if you change they afm lifters out and use vvt cam most shops will still say scrap it its no good. LS3 conversion is your best bet to get good lifters and all new valvtrain components minus rockers
You're finally getting it... back in post 2 it was a different story...
Old 11-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #19
jsharp

No I was still getting it I was just saying alot of the shops dont support vvt cams. They say do the conversion. I think we were just saying the same thing just starting on different ends of the conversation and finally met in the middle lol. I am not good at wording things on forum so I may have written it to where it didnt get the point across.
Old 11-09-2010, 12:45 PM   #20
trudawg660

Drives: 2006 Dodge Charger / 2SS IOM
just to put in my 2 cents, you named some companies that advised you to do the vvt delete. maybe they did that so they could keep your business since they only sell non-vvt cams. would be bad marketing to promote something they don't sell and not developing.
trudawg660 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 PM   #21
john468
Account Suspended

Drives: 1968 S.S. Big Block and 2010 SS
what are AFM lifters? I know what the VVT cams are and the DOD but am lost about the lifters. C an you tell me why they are no good and what to replace them with. They are a roller lifter am I right about that? thanks
john468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:28 PM   #22
woodside783
Casey Woodside

Drives: a very fun car
thanks guys i am going to have the amf lifter taken out when i do the cam swap
woodside783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 01:52 PM   #23
bi11ymc
"Silver Street"

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS L99
Quote:
what are AFM lifters? I know what the VVT cams are and the DOD but am lost about the lifters. C an you tell me why they are no good and what to replace them with. They are a roller lifter am I right about that? thanks
AFM (Active Fuel Management) and DoD (Displacement on Demand) are the same thing, just different names. On the L99, half the lifters are different and can be turned off for better fuel economy. I had my lifters replaced when getting a new cam and supercharger. Also changed out the timing gear to 3-bolt, pushrods, retainers and got dual-springs. See signature below for all my mods.

CAI Inc., ARH LT Headers with Cats, Borla Touring Cat-Back; Pfadt Coil Overs, Sway Bars, End Links, and Trailing Arms; Comp Cams Blower Cam, Dual Springs, Push-Rods, and Lifters; GM LS2 Lifter Trays, 6.2 MLS Head Gaskets, Crank Bolt, and LS2 Front Cover; 3-Bolt Conversion Timing Gear, Katech C5R Timing Chain, ARP LS2/LS3 Head Bolt Kit, Melling Hi Volume Oil Pump, TVS 2300 Supercharger (Black); Build by Vengeance Racing; Custom Tune by Vengeance Racing
bi11ymc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 02:31 PM   #24
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
No I was still getting it I was just saying alot of the shops dont support vvt cams. They say do the conversion. I think we were just saying the same thing just starting on different ends of the conversation and finally met in the middle lol. I am not good at wording things on forum so I may have written it to where it didnt get the point across.
Yeah.. we're just wording it differently...

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodside783 View Post
thanks guys i am going to have the amf lifter taken out when i do the cam swap
Good deal... The extra money spent to replace lifters will be your ticket in the long run... These lifters are the weak point even with the stock cam...
Old 11-09-2010, 03:48 PM   #25
jsharp

actually talking to lmr about those lifters as we speak. They qouted me but left stock lifters in for the build. I want their outlook on it. I also am not sure yet if their cam is vvt or not
Old 11-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #26
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
actually talking to lmr about those lifters as we speak. They qouted me but left stock lifters in for the build. I want their outlook on it. I also am not sure yet if their cam is vvt or not
They will add a Cam Phaser Kit for the VVT part (Cost $100). They have their own Comp Cam grind...
Old 11-09-2010, 04:02 PM   #27
jsharp

ok so they retain vvt then and leave the lifters unless requested to be removed?
Old 11-09-2010, 04:08 PM   #28
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Quote:
ok so they retain vvt then and leave the lifters unless requested to be removed?
I'm pretty sure if the lifters remain so will VVT. I would clarify that one. But the CAM lift will be limited with stock lifters.

My conversations with them were always to replace the lifters.