Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-31-2011, 09:00 AM   #1
darnelhouston

Drives: '10SS, CAI, Resonators delete, Dyno
Exclamation My ride quality is not good

Is it possible for your suspensions to stiffen up. Or somehow make your ride more painful. Recently my camaro has been driving really rough. I can feel even the smallest dips more than usual and cracks on the road.

I installed 1inch drop springs from Eibach all round. And sway bars from BMR fully stiffened. And the 4 pt BMR strut tower brace.

I did have all this installed for almost a month now but didn't notice much untlil just about a week ago.

*i have to say, a couple of night before I started to notice this poor ride- I was going about 50mph and went through a dip in the road. The car almost lost control. I hop so hard my head hit the top of the car. Bottomed out.

What can I do to return to a more confortable ride?

Last edited by darnelhouston; 12-31-2011 at 07:49 PM.
darnelhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:10 AM   #2
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Look to see if your struts are not blown out and oil is coming out, you may have damaged them on that dip in the road.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:24 AM   #3
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
I agree with the above post, I would check everything in the suspension. There are parts that can be bent or broken in a hole like that. Best get her up on a lift and give it a complete looksee.
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 09:37 AM   #4
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by darnelhouston View Post
Is it possible for your suspensions to stiffen up. Or somehow make your ride more painful. Recently my camaro has been driving really rough. I can feel even the smallest dips more than usual and cracks on the road.

I installed 1inch drop springs from Eibach all round. And sway bars from BMR fully stiffened. And the 4 pt BMR strut brace.

I did have all this installed for almost a month now but didn't notice much untlil just about a week ago.

*i have to say, a couple of night before I started to notice this poor ride- I was going about 50mph and went through a dip in the road. The car almost lost control. I hop so hard my head hit the top of the car.
What can I do to return to a more confortable ride?
I would start with a general check of the suspension.We have removed those spring for doing that .I believe they call for the bump stop to be cut ,if they were not I would start there because once the car bottoms out on the stops due to the springs,it will cause the car to bind or bump steer due to uneven suspension travel.How much of a drop do you have now that the springs have settled? Was the bushings timed when the install was done?did you have it aligned after the install?
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:08 AM   #5
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
IMHO, Coilovers are the only way to get ride height, control and comfort all in one package. Yes they are expensive but you gotta pay to play to get the adjustments needed to fine tune them to your liking... The damping rates are pure poop on the OE rear shocks! I knew I was going to have to change them on the second drive...
Old 12-31-2011, 10:10 AM   #6
Bruce@raymondsperformance

Drives: 2014 Z28 camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by hypurone View Post
IMHO, Coilovers are the only way to get ride height, control and comfort all in one package. Yes they are expensive but you gotta pay to play to get the adjustments needed to fine tune them to your liking... The damping rates are pure poop on the OE rear shocks! I knew I was going to have to change them on the second drive...
Bruce@raymondsperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:46 PM   #7
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
My front struts were dead after 25000 hard cornering miles and I mean piston in and wouldn't rise dead. The new struts, BC coils are better and also for sale .
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #8
unclepat
Owner of Red Heat

Drives: 2011 Chevrolet Camaro V6
start with a suspension check. it's quite possible something got damaged when the car bottomed. you also give up ride quality when you lower a vehicle although 1 inch shouldn't be that much, the sway bar in addition to the strut brace could lead to a slightly more uncomfortable ride.
unclepat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
darnelhouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by L99CAMA2011 View Post
My front struts were dead after 25000 hard cornering miles and I mean piston in and wouldn't rise dead. The new struts, BC coils are better and also for sale .
A link of where to get them?
Old 12-31-2011, 07:37 PM   #10
darnelhouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by unclepat View Post
start with a suspension check. it's quite possible something got damaged when the car bottomed. you also give up ride quality when you lower a vehicle although 1 inch shouldn't be that much, the sway bar in addition to the strut brace could lead to a slightly more uncomfortable ride.

Right. After all that addition. My ride quality was slightly altered but for the best. After I bottomed out (if the meaning is what I think it is) then I started to notice a more poor(ER) ride quality.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:39 PM   #11
darnelhouston

I will have an auto shop do the suspension check for me. Then I would like to buy the parts and install it myself. I love to work on my car.
Do you think it's something I can repair myself at home with an avg collection of tools and the right parts?
Old 12-31-2011, 07:41 PM   #12
darnelhouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2SSRS View Post
Look to see if your struts are not blown out and oil is coming out, you may have damaged them on that dip in the road.
Any ideas or links on the parts I would need. I have some money saved. I was planning on changin my interior trim red and do some inserts. Darn it.
Old 12-31-2011, 07:43 PM   #13
darnelhouston

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce@raymondsperformance View Post
I would start with a general check of the suspension.We have removed those spring for doing that .I believe they call for the bump stop to be cut ,if they were not I would start there because once the car bottoms out on the stops due to the springs,it will cause the car to bind or bump steer due to uneven suspension travel.How much of a drop do you have now that the springs have settled? Was the bushings timed when the install was done?did you have it aligned after the install?
Thanks for the reply.
I'm a little slow on suspension analysis when it comes to cars. Would you mind explaining a little more what you would do in this case? Thank you
Old 12-31-2011, 07:44 PM   #14
darnelhouston

Wow. Thank you all camaro5ers for helping

Tags
bmr, eibach, ride quality, springs