Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-16-2013, 05:17 PM   #29
hapisok
crazier than a coconut

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS LS3
Fo sho! Thanks for sharing the circuit design you used. The only thing I dont like about relays is their noise and size, unless im testing em. But you cant beat free either. I'll wire this up and let you know how it works. The mosfets were less than $2 a piece which is WAY cheaper then purchasing relays unless you get em for free at a junk yard or something.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:07 PM   #30
sjmautoprod

Drives: '16 2SS
Make sure that the 4A MOSFET rating is continuous and not pulsed.
sjmautoprod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:24 PM   #31
pkauf

Drives: 2013 Crystal Red Convertible RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitedemon View Post
I decided i wanted to add sequential tailights to my camaro but didnt want to spend 100 bucks for them. I figured it couldn't be to hard to do so I got with my dad, who is pretty good with electronics, and we built 2 timers. Went to the shack and bought 2 of the following; a 555 timer, circuit board, capacitor, few diodes and a varaiable resistor. I had the 2 relays laying in my tool box so no reason to buy them. I dont have the schematic we used with me now, ill try to upload later. We just built the little circuit with the components and soldered everything together. Then I painted the back of the board with liquid electric tape and let dry to prevent shorting out anything. I removed the back covers over the tailights. My timers have 3 wires, ground, input and output. So i tapped in the outer light bulb ground for the ground wire and then cut the blinker bulb wire which was the yellow for left side and green for right side and installed the input-output wires to the bulb harness, all with solder and heat shrink joints of course. Then i turned on the hazard lights and used a pocket screwdriver to adjust the varable resistor until the delay was right where I wanted it. I was very pleased with the outcome of the project and I saved 80 bucks also

Here is the youtube link for the video: http://youtu.be/UjLuU-1eC0E
Very cool. Do you have a little more information (or pictures) of how you installed/hid the boards near the taillights? To get to the bulbs (i haven't messed with them yet on my 2013) - is all the access via trunk and no removal of the housing required? I definitely will put this on my list of to-dos. Just curious about your mounting strategy - wonder if a small project box would be a good idea for enclosing the board.

Paul
Old 01-16-2013, 07:27 PM   #32
pkauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapisok View Post
Fo sho! Thanks for sharing the circuit design you used. The only thing I dont like about relays is their noise and size, unless im testing em. But you cant beat free either. I'll wire this up and let you know how it works. The mosfets were less than $2 a piece which is WAY cheaper then purchasing relays unless you get em for free at a junk yard or something.
Please post what your exact parts are (if you don't mind!!!) when you get it working. Would really like to use your modifications to get this to work, as I don't have the relays sitting around either.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:46 PM   #33
csjcsj

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 6spd
Tag!!
Old 01-17-2013, 07:20 AM   #34
whitedemon

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkauf View Post
Very cool. Do you have a little more information (or pictures) of how you installed/hid the boards near the taillights? To get to the bulbs (i haven't messed with them yet on my 2013) - is all the access via trunk and no removal of the housing required? I definitely will put this on my list of to-dos. Just curious about your mounting strategy - wonder if a small project box would be a good idea for enclosing the board.

Paul
No pictures of install sorry. No housing removal just pop the trunk and remove the plastic cover above the tail lights. All the wires are there and i just zip tied the circuit to the wiring harness so it wouldnt bounce around. I thought about using a box but just didnt. I had some liquid electric tape so i just painted it on the back side of the board for protection. Its under the plastic panel anyways away from water
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, OBX Longtube Headers, Magnaflow 3in Comp Cat Back w/ added Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers, SCT Tuner w/ JRE Tune, CAI Black Intake w/ JRE Race Scoop, Eibach Pro Springs, Custom Sequential Tailights
whitedemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 07:21 AM   #35
whitedemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by csjcsj View Post
Tag!!
this maybe a stupid question but why are you the 3rd person to post "tag"? dont understand lol
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS, L99, OBX Longtube Headers, Magnaflow 3in Comp Cat Back w/ added Dynomax Bullet Race Mufflers, SCT Tuner w/ JRE Tune, CAI Black Intake w/ JRE Race Scoop, Eibach Pro Springs, Custom Sequential Tailights
Old 01-17-2013, 07:23 AM   #36
pkauf

Quote:
No pictures of install sorry. No housing removal just pop the trunk and remove the plastic cover above the tail lights. All the wires are there and i just zip tied the circuit to the wiring harness so it wouldnt bounce around. I thought about using a box but just didnt. I had some liquid electric tape so i just painted it on the back side of the board for protection. Its under the plastic panel anyways away from water
No problem about the pics, was just hoping!!! WHere do you get liquid electric tape? Maybe i'm out of it, never heard of it. Thanks again.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:42 AM   #37
vroomapunk
[COTW 5/12/14]

Drives: 2012 CRT NF Cammed 2SS/RS For Sale
Quote:
this maybe a stupid question but why are you the 3rd person to post "tag"? dont understand lol
Im confused too. There is a section of the forum for like social talk and all other discussions. They play a lot of games there, so maybe they have to use the search feature and find other threads that are tagged.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:47 AM   #38
pkauf

Quote:
Originally Posted by vroomapunk View Post
Im confused too. There is a section of the forum for like social talk and all other discussions. They play a lot of games there, so maybe they have to use the search feature and find other threads that are tagged.
Well, there is an option to automatically subscribe when you post to a thread, so my guess is its a quick way of getting updates on the info (email). I've just seen other people post "Subscribed" . . .
Old 01-17-2013, 08:59 AM   #39
RatRacer

Drives: 11 Synergy Green LS 15 Colorado Z71
Quote:
Well, there is an option to automatically subscribe when you post to a thread, so my guess is its a quick way of getting updates on the info (email). I've just seen other people post "Subscribed" . . .
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

and...... subscribed, tagged, marked
RatRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:13 AM   #40
whitedemon

Quote:
No problem about the pics, was just hoping!!! WHere do you get liquid electric tape? Maybe i'm out of it, never heard of it. Thanks again.
i think i got it from radio shack, maybe napa. I use it to repair a skint wire if need be. it will get you out of a bind sometimes lol
Old 01-17-2013, 11:15 AM   #41
whitedemon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RatRacer View Post
Ding Ding Ding! We have a winner!

and...... subscribed, tagged, marked
oh ok thanks people!
Old 01-17-2013, 11:35 AM   #42
pkauf

Quote:
i think i got it from radio shack, maybe napa. I use it to repair a skint wire if need be. it will get you out of a bind sometimes lol

Cool, i'll look for it.