Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 04-10-2018, 05:29 PM   #15
joelster

Drives: '94 Z28+ '15 Z/28
My car has 4600 miles and a decent chunk of the coil cover paint is off. I'm glad to hear it's normal. I was thinking that some chemical had accidentally sprayed onto them at some point.
1979 Y84 Trans Am
1986 IROC-Z
joelster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 08:19 PM   #16
ronchev

Drives: 14' Red Z/28 #336
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmarklowitz View Post
This is along the lines of this topic.

I've been noticing what sounds like valve tick or maybe lifters in that 2-3k rpm range. Is that normal? I called my local Chev dealer and the service advisor said that sounds normal for the car but I'm skeptical. Any suggestions?
Call me paranoid or whatnot but mine had the lifter noise as well at 2k RPM and dealer told me its normal... twice... so I just pulled the heads myself with 5k miles and checked valve guide clearance myself....I'm not liking what I found for that mileage. At this point I may do some mods since its down but its not clear yet what I will do. Yes its still under the powertrain warranty but I'm very picky on who works on my stuff so I will probably just foot the bill for own my piece of mind and this is coming from an ex GM/Chevy Tech. Or maybe I read to much about all the LS7 valve problems, just did not want to end up being one of those guys.
ronchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 10:23 PM   #17
kramard

Drives: 2012 BMW 135i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gbland60 View Post
Just bear in mind you will hear all kinds of noises from the rear end to the transmission but all this is normal because of no insulation
This. Holy cow did that take getting used too. I get that face from passengers sometimes lol.
kramard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:24 AM   #18
pat_t

Drives: .
Myself and a couple of other owners have had low mileage problems with the original clutch slipping. It seems to be a factory adjustment issue as replacing the friction and pressure plates with new items has resolved the problem in all cases that I am aware of.
pat_t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 09:24 AM   #19
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
My only "issue" is that I have to fill it up every 2 to 3 days if I drive it regularly. Only getting around 3mpg in stop-n-go traffic according to a cheap OBD2 device I bought
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:48 PM   #20
nmarklowitz

Drives: 2015 Z/28 Black #371
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronchev View Post
Call me paranoid or whatnot but mine had the lifter noise as well at 2k RPM and dealer told me its normal... twice... so I just pulled the heads myself with 5k miles and checked valve guide clearance myself....I'm not liking what I found for that mileage. At this point I may do some mods since its down but its not clear yet what I will do. Yes its still under the powertrain warranty but I'm very picky on who works on my stuff so I will probably just foot the bill for own my piece of mind and this is coming from an ex GM/Chevy Tech. Or maybe I read to much about all the LS7 valve problems, just did not want to end up being one of those guys.
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not sure what to think. I don't want to tear into it with 3900 miles on it. Let me know how everything goes with yours, if you end up throwing some mods on and what not.
nmarklowitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 08:01 AM   #21
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
I've got it as well. The 4.8 I built and dropped in my 3rd gen had it. I wouldn't worry AS much about it, but just keep an eye on it maybe?
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 09:17 AM   #22
thebluecamaross

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS ABM
If you are referring to a "sh sh sh" or yes, intense and rapid ticking like sounds, I hear that on my car and on my friends brand new sting ray corvette. perhaps is because there is no engine cover to insulate the noise. I do notice it being louder without it.

I would record the sound from the outside and posting it here or showing it to a grease monkey.
thebluecamaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 11:10 AM   #23
Mark_Z28

Drives: Black 2015 Z28 #457
Almost 36k on mine and not really any major issues with my car. Its not pampered or a garage queen, and its been great, miles better than my old Z06.

Things I'd look for:

Check the edges of the ceramic rotors(inside and out) for any chips/nicks/ hairline fractures. The rotors are expensive to replace so I would definitely check them the full 360 degrees. As its already been mentioned easy to drop a wheel on a rotor and nick it so good one to check.

Tires are expensive, if trofeos are mounted I'd check the edges to make sure no cracking on the tires. If street tires are mounted just check to see if the inner(and outer for that matter) sidewalls haven't bubbled up(if had this issue with 325 MPSS mounted on my fronts). Not sure if this is because of the roads here or just my batch of MPSS.

Alignment/tracking. I don't have an issue with this, but some have.

Flares need to be flush and even with the car. Just check to make sure if they are evenly attached or they are mounted slightly kinked or is becoming loose from the fender. It could be a loose flare or due to having the front lip being pushed in with the force into the front bumper loosening the flare(if its in the front). Flares are hard to find now it seems(so make sure these are in good shape).

Loose plug wires. I've had this happen twice. Its not really a serious issue and just throws the stabilitrak error.

Aero guides under the front lip. These are rubber and tear up pretty easily if care wasn't taking parking it.
Mark_Z28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 01:22 PM   #24
MrRaZ28
@MrRaZ28

Drives: 2014 Z28 #80
Yeah, the tape holding my front flares on both sides is releasing. I need to knuckle down and fix it.
MrRaZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:17 AM   #25
tstodii

Drives: White 2015 Z/28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy2tehBone View Post
Yeah, the tape holding my front flares on both sides is releasing. I need to knuckle down and fix it.
Same here. I just noticed while installing the RS Fog Lights on my Z :(
tstodii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 12:48 PM   #26
The_Raging_Bull
Raging Bull Reborn

Drives: '09 CGM Z063LZ '15 RH Z/28 #0631
There is an issue with dropped valves in Corvette Z06's.Chevy addressed this issue in the LS7's in our cars.

I solved my issues in my 09 Z06 by doing a stage 4 build from American Heritage, and went with a fully up-graded head set plus stud mounted roller rockers, ported TB, MSD intake, upgraded vlave guides etc. Even though the stud mounted roller rockers added $2200 in head costs, it completely resolves any side loading issues when the roller rocker hits the top of the valve lash cap; effectively eliminating valve drops. I'm using Moldstar 90 valve guide, which is an F1 type valve guide, which work hardens over time, instead of work softening like other metal guide types. I've also done a new fuel pump and new injectors to support full use of E85 to get the 40 hp bump from that as well.My Z06 is getting the treatment right now, and I intend to be at 630 to 670 RWHP; and I'm adding a 3.90 differential to the vette just like we have in the Z/28. At 3160 lbs, that's ~750 to 760 at the crank plus the extra differential gearing, which is like another 100 hp in how it yanks you off the line (and Chevy speced our cars with it). It promises to be the equal of the new UberVette the 2019 ZR1; so I cant wait to get it back in 6 weeks or so. I addressed all issues including upgrading the internals and the pan on the dry sump (Avarid) and a new Katech scavenger pump. Total cost was ~$15000, but it'll be a barn burner once its built and fully dyno tuned.

That's my path..no new cars, just make the 09 Z06 a barn burner. And then I have to think do I do it again once the extended warranty is up in 5 to 6 years??

If you read the issue at corvette forum, your eyes will bleed, as there are dozens of threads and 7000 to 8000 comments. I've read them all. I'll post a doc by Hib Halverson tonight (from Corvette Action Center that to me is required reading about the LS7; and it covers all questions about the LS7 reliability; as well as the fix to the dropped valve issue.

For anyone interested I'll post you the copy of my fuel mix guide, so you can run 93 octane mixed at the pump; if you're in a state w/o 93 octane like I am n Oklahoma. I suppose if enough asked for it I can make a 965 octane (e35) mix guide as well. You also need to test the tank at your E85 dealer to see what the real ethanol composition is that's in the tank.. Here in Oklahoma, Kum and Go has E70 year round..not E85, so I adjust the blend accordingly. As an example 93 octane E30 is 6.5 gallons of E10 mixed with 3.5 gallons of E70.

Toy 1 '15 RH Z/28 w/AC & Radio S/N 0631
Toy 2 '09 CGM Z06 3LZ
My DD: '17 Ford Mustang GT
Her DD: '14 F150 Ecoboost 3.5

Last edited by The_Raging_Bull; 04-17-2018 at 02:10 PM.
The_Raging_Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 09:36 AM   #27
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by pat_t View Post
Myself and a couple of other owners have had low mileage problems with the original clutch slipping. It seems to be a factory adjustment issue as replacing the friction and pressure plates with new items has resolved the problem in all cases that I am aware of.
My clutch sucks. Im trying to decide to have GM fix it or go after market.
Old 04-18-2018, 10:00 AM   #28
AustinZ28

Drives: Several
I was told the OE clutch is good for 600hp. Anyone have an idea what an aftermarket clutch costs installed?
AustinZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice, camaro, usedcars, z28