Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 10-03-2018, 02:56 PM   #1
Skyset

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS Coupe
Honda and GM form a $2.75B partnership to create autonomous cars!

https://business.financialpost.com/p...iving-vehicles

This is interesting....GM and Honda working together.

Maybe Honda can teach GM how to make reliable cars, and GM can teach Honda how to make powerful engines, and we could have something good
Skyset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:08 PM   #2
KMPrenger

Drives: 16 Camaro SS, 15 Colorado
Haven't read the article yet, but sounds pretty interesting.

But for anyone who doesn't know, GM was already very deep into the development and research of autonomous cars with several test mules running around right now. Been digging into it for years, and from what I've read fully expect the market to shift in that direction and thus, they are preparing for it.

EDIT: OK...so the article is what I was expecting....Honda wants in on the tech, so they are investing in the GM product...although I'm sure they have something to offer as well.

Last edited by KMPrenger; 10-03-2018 at 03:21 PM.
KMPrenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:37 PM   #3
torqueaddict

Drives: Tesla M3 LR-AWD [Former 1SS owner]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyset View Post

Maybe Honda can teach GM how to make reliable cars, and GM can teach Honda how to make powerful engines, and we could have something good
If the current Civic Type-R is indicative of Honda 'reliability', I'll pass.

Still an interesting combo. Autonomous cars are the future whether we like it or not.

Here's an example of we can look forward to:

https://www.gm.com/our-stories/self-driving-cars.html

Enjoy your nail-biting trip!!
torqueaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 03:41 PM   #4
JohnCobalt

Drives: Camaro and Mazda CX3
Quote:
Originally Posted by torqueaddict View Post
Autonomous cars are the future whether we like it or not.

Not my future.
JohnCobalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:00 PM   #5
IMadeYouReadThis

Drives: 02 Camaro SS 6M / 11 GMC Sierra
Quote:

Japanese reliability is way overrated. I'll take a Chevy anyday
IMadeYouReadThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:36 PM   #6
born-to-fish-

Drives: Fifty 2SS Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCobalt View Post
Not my future.

"from my cold dead hands"

I have a hard enough time flying, never mind being on a interstate with a bunch of automatons...lol
born-to-fish- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:57 PM   #7
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:

My GM cars have always been reliable. My Mothers Honda was a POS.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:02 PM   #8
Deputy Dog
Banned

Drives: 2017 Super Sport Cam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMadeYouReadThis View Post
Japanese reliability is way overrated. I'll take a Chevy anyday

Agree 100% Same goes for Toyota....all hyped by the magazines and media types in the early 70s right before the japanese began dumping their cars into the US during the gas crisis and after they loaded up on their cheap priced stocks. All the hype/overated reviews drove up stock prices and they all got rich on fake news.
Deputy Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:40 AM   #9
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Honda and GM have been working together in a number of areas for years. The first design of Saturn Vue had a Honda V6 and 4-speed automatic as an uplevel trim option. They have also been working together for the last 4 or 5 years on Fuel Cell technology. When I left GM, Honda had engineers on-site in GM’s Propulsion Systems HQ in Pontiac working on the fuel cell products. Both GM and Honda will produce a vehicle using the fuel cell technology in the next couple years.

Honda already has the Clarity in its 2nd generation, based on their own technology. The collaboration with GM will be the 3rd gen of Fuel Cell development for both companies. GM has just chosen not to put its 2nd gen in commerce, preferring to focus on work with the US Military to develop applications that might actually also come with the 3rd gen.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:56 AM   #10
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
If you guys have ever watched video of GM's Super Cruise on the CT6 in action in the real world, it's :this close: to being fully autonomous. That system is amazing and it's only semi-autonomous.

As far as Honda reliability is concerned, I've owned two Hondas. I think mechanical reliability is the result of good maintenance no matter what car company it is. But the main thing about Honda's reputation is that their interiors stay in good shape over 10 years. Old GMs didn't. GM today is much better, I have no issues with my Camaro. But Camaros of yore were notoriously rattle boxes. Cheaply made, poorly fitting plastic parts were the real problem. Frankly it's even present in 20 year old Cadillacs. That's not media conjecture, that's a fact.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 06:37 AM   #11
GelflingEssence
Banned

Drives: 2016 Challenger SRT 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by YARBIE 1 View Post
You'll never catch my ass in one of those death traps. Hideous.
Come on now, GM isn't that bad.
GelflingEssence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:04 AM   #12
MaskedRacerX

Drives: Now: GT/PP Vert, Future: ZL1 Vert
So much going on in this space. I've started getting about a hit a week from various "autonomous vehicle" companies looking for people with experience in things like CV and ML (did a long stint in The Valley in that tech for AR/VR). I imagine some of these are "labs" doing some of the work for major players in the car industry.
MaskedRacerX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:27 AM   #13
Jim50thSS

Drives: 50th SS Convertible
I've done a good amount of work with both Honda and GM for their engine assembly lines. I think both companies are great compared to some "others". Honda does a much better job designing their products for an automation and assembly lines. Most of GM products I've worked on have been designed more for performance and not for automation and assembly lines. I'm not a loyalist to any car manufacturer but I currently own and drive 3 GM vehicles (Malibu, Traverse, Camaro) and 1 Honda Ridgeline. All of them except the Camaro have been problem free. I feel as though I've had the Ridgeline for many years now and have put it through more hell than most guys do with their 3/4 ton diesels.
One example was we cleared out an acre of woods. I used a large hay dump wagon that I was able to fill with easily 2 chords of wood at a time. Hauled that up hill in all kinds of conditions and then 10 miles down the road. I'm guessing I did this over 20 times and never had any problems even though I exceeded that trucks hauling capacity by 100%. That is probably the worse but I've honestly beat the crap out that little truck and it just keeps doing its job.
Jim50thSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 07:29 AM   #14
Nsxmatt
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy Dog View Post
Agree 100% Same goes for Toyota....all hyped by the magazines and media types in the early 70s right before the japanese began dumping their cars into the US during the gas crisis and after they loaded up on their cheap priced stocks. All the hype/overated reviews drove up stock prices and they all got rich on fake news.
The problem with Toyota is they got too big too fast. They ramped up production and added too many new products in a short period of time which goes against automotive protocol. Many companies limit their production due to the fact that the faster you make cars the more defects they have. Honda experienced the same growth at the same time but corporate limited the expansion so it wouldn't affect quality. With the newer technologies though you are seeing more and more problems with all cars. Most of the problems I see working at Honda is not the build quality itself from Honda but the parts from the suppliers like starters, auto units, emission components. But after working with GM, BMW, and others I will say properly maintained Hondas are a much better quality vehicle. That being said, I still picked the Camaro because Honda has nothing that compares in looks or fun and I love it. Even though the Camaro had more warranty work done the first 6 months than the entire 130k miles of my last Civic.
Nsxmatt is offline   Reply With Quote