Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com
 
Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-16-2018, 03:12 PM   #1
race24x
 
Drives: 80 Z28 - 93 Z28 - 14 Camaro SS-RS
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Fayette Maine
Posts: 188
Ceramic Coating a used car

So I have a 2014 Camaro SS black. It has the usual dings etc on the front end. I really like how the ceramic coating came out on my friends Corvette, however even after cleaning up my paint (I worked in a recon department) and wet sanding buffing the front and buffing the whole car, I am not sure about ceramic coating it and would it be worth it. I would do it myself since I have already done the clay bar and buffing (which it seems like is the most of the work). Has anyone done ceramic coating themselves? What did you think? What did you use?
race24x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #2
HAMBO

 
HAMBO's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 755
I didn't apply my own coating, but from I understand you're supposed to do immediately after compounding / polishing (ie. don't drive the car in between polishing and coating) for best results.

The Adams ceramic coating kit looks like a nice kit if you are looking for a DIY all in one package.
__________________
2013 AGM 2SS/RS
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square), GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 03:57 PM   #3
Joe M 2012 2SS

 
Joe M 2012 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Shelby NC
Posts: 2,073
I've used several of the different versions on the market. I like Carpro CQuartz, but for ease of use.... Optimum Gloss Coat is the best. It self levels..... making excess removal a breeze.


Unlike many other coatings, if you like using carnauba wax, you can use it on top of it as well.


You should also get a bottle of Carpro Eraser, to wipe down the panel before applying your coating. This will remove any oils, polish residue, and anything that is on the surface that could affect the bond.

__________________


Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, Tuned via SCTX4 by Dynosteve at RDP.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:38 AM   #4
Reichler
 
Reichler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS & 2005 GTO
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 247
A few weeks ago I applied Adams reformulated 9H paint coating on my 76k mile daily driven 04 GTO that sits outside 24/7. Damn am I impressed with the stuff and how easy and forgiving it was to apply and remove.

It's been 3 weeks since I've washed the car and the paint still looks incredibly clean. Dirt just doesn't seem to want to stick to it much at all.

Last edited by Reichler; 07-17-2018 at 11:49 AM.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #5
rontammy0
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alliston Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by race24x View Post
So I have a 2014 Camaro SS black. It has the usual dings etc on the front end. I really like how the ceramic coating came out on my friends Corvette, however even after cleaning up my paint (I worked in a recon department) and wet sanding buffing the front and buffing the whole car, I am not sure about ceramic coating it and would it be worth it. I would do it myself since I have already done the clay bar and buffing (which it seems like is the most of the work). Has anyone done ceramic coating themselves? What did you think? What did you use?
Before you do the ceramic coating buy yourself a bottle of the Ceramic Boost from Adams. I was looking at coating my car but saw the Boost is used at the end of the coating process. So I decided to try just the Ceramic Boost by itself. I claybared the car and put a good coat of wax on it. Then applied the Adams Ceramic Boost....the shine is incredible and seems durable. My car stays in the garage but I did my truck with great results. Its not quit the protection on the coating but damn does it shine.
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 11:48 AM   #6
Reichler
 
Reichler's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 SS & 2005 GTO
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Lancaster, PA
Posts: 247
Quote:
Originally Posted by rontammy0 View Post
Before you do the ceramic coating buy yourself a bottle of the Ceramic Boost from Adams. I was looking at coating my car but saw the Boost is used at the end of the coating process. So I decided to try just the Ceramic Boost by itself. I claybared the car and put a good coat of wax on it. Then applied the Adams Ceramic Boost....the shine is incredible and seems durable. My car stays in the garage but I did my truck with great results. Its not quit the protection on the coating but damn does it shine.

Sure does.

Use it on bare paint and it will last upwards of 2 months. That's what I was using before I decided to coat the car. Love the stuff.
Reichler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:24 PM   #7
Joe M 2012 2SS

 
Joe M 2012 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Shelby NC
Posts: 2,073
FYI......Autogeek is having a 25% off free shipping over $50 sale...….Optimum Complete Prep & Coat kit is $56.24 after discounts and free shipping.


You get the coating, prep spray, and 6 microfiber towels. This is a good deal.
__________________


Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, Tuned via SCTX4 by Dynosteve at RDP.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:36 PM   #8
HAMBO

 
HAMBO's Avatar
 
Drives: Supercharged 2013 AGM 2SS/RS
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 755
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
FYI......Autogeek is having a 25% off free shipping over $50 sale...….Optimum Complete Prep & Coat kit is $56.24 after discounts and free shipping.


You get the coating, prep spray, and 6 microfiber towels. This is a good deal.
That is a great deal!

Another option to consider (I've not used it first hand but have heard good things) is Gyeon. DetailedImage is currently doing 15% off and free shipping no minimum on all Gyeon products.
__________________
2013 AGM 2SS/RS
SLP TVS2300, Edge CAI, 3" Magnaflow catback, BC Racing BR series coilovers, HRE FF15's (20x10 square), GM STB, BMR front and rear sway bars and toe links, Prothane subframe bushings and front control arm inserts, JDP rear upper control arm bushings, Elite Engineering catch can. Tuned by Cunningham Motorsports.
1967 Bolero Red 396 SS/RS Convertible
HAMBO is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:07 PM   #9
Whoomba
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS vert
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 471
I was just coming here to ask this question. Great advice. Is it too much to ask of it or does it help keep the rock dings down? I shoulda put a clear bra on it when it was new but now it would need painting first for that.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 08:36 PM   #10
Joe M 2012 2SS

 
Joe M 2012 2SS's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 2SS
Join Date: Nov 2014
Location: Shelby NC
Posts: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoomba View Post
I was just coming here to ask this question. Great advice. Is it too much to ask of it or does it help keep the rock dings down? I shoulda put a clear bra on it when it was new but now it would need painting first for that.


No it wont prevent rock chips, I put rock guards behind the front tires several years ago, as I got some chips on the "gill" areas of the rear quarter panels, haven't had a new chip since.

Dr.Colorchip is good for small chips, Langka works better for larger chips.


The best way to reduce rock chips on the front of the car if it's not covered with PPF is to allow 4-5 car lengths or more following distance whenever possible.

If you have the front bumper painted and put PPF on, you'll need to wait until the paint fully cures first, usually about 90 days.
__________________


Roto-Fab intake, SW 1 7/8" LT w/hi flow cats, Flowmaster outlaw exhaust, UDP, 160* stat, Circle D 3200, Moroso catch can, TCI line lock, Zex Nitrous 125 shot, Tuned via SCTX4 by Dynosteve at RDP.
Joe M 2012 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 10:22 PM   #11
rontammy0
Account Suspended
 
Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Alliston Ontario Canada
Posts: 8,244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reichler View Post
Sure does.

Use it on bare paint and it will last upwards of 2 months. That's what I was using before I decided to coat the car. Love the stuff.
Ya...but it cost me almost $100 for 2 bottles shipped to my house. Thats Canadian
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 09:39 PM   #12
Whoomba
 
Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT RS vert
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe M 2012 2SS View Post
No it wont prevent rock chips, I put rock guards behind the front tires several years ago, as I got some chips on the "gill" areas of the rear quarter panels, haven't had a new chip since.

Dr.Colorchip is good for small chips, Langka works better for larger chips.


The best way to reduce rock chips on the front of the car if it's not covered with PPF is to allow 4-5 car lengths or more following distance whenever possible.

If you have the front bumper painted and put PPF on, you'll need to wait until the paint fully cures first, usually about 90 days.
I know we’re hijacking the thread but Langka sounds interesting. I give it a try.
Whoomba is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.