Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 07-11-2010, 01:43 PM   #29
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcotton View Post
Every week I spend quite, relaxing, private time with Eleanor cleaning, wiping, waxing, polishing, ect. Every time I find more and more paint chips, WTF????? Today was the final straw. I had so many paint chips I swear it looked like the paint was from a 20 year old car. I told my wife if I cannot find a class action lawsuit on this issue we need to start one by contacting our lawyer.

I have had many cars and know that paint chips are inevitable but its 600% worse with the Camaro. I am known in my neiborhood for the guy with the cleanist car. Now I do not feel its worth it to detail Eleanor because of all the paint chips.

Thoughts, or comments.....
You will need to include Toyota and Chrysler in that suite as well - I can verify those manufacturers have similar issues with current production paint.. (ie it ain't gm's fault)....
Old 07-11-2010, 01:56 PM   #30
mcotton

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I have to say that I do not tailgate, go down rocky roads, ETC. The SUV I traded for the Camaro had better paint after 3 1/2 years of daily commute. I love my Camaro and enjoy it immensely and just want the paint corrected so I can enjoy detailing it. I will be contacting my dealer this week to see if I can get it fixed. How do I get the number of my local GM contact?
Old 07-11-2010, 02:43 PM   #31
DHUGHF
Dallas

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
if you go to gm website and click on contact us @ bottom of page it should give you a customer service number. That is how i was able to contact gm customer service to get them involved.
DHUGHF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:57 PM   #32
Kilo-9
Dog Is My Copilot

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose View Post
Contact a GM factory rep.

If there is a reoccurring problem/problem with the paint quality, I believe from past experience in dealing the GM and my dealer, that a resolution, satisfactory to all, can be reached.

I had a paint problem which surfaced well after my Camaro was out of warranty. I did my homework (found a TSB concerning the issue) contaced the GM factory rep., as well as the manager of the bodyshop, and my issue was resolved within a week.

If there is a problem with the paint quality, I believe GM will correct it. If it's a problem considered "normal wear and tear", good luck.

Ed
Just curious...was is the bubbling on the roof and/or sail panel?
Old 07-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #33
Jeanius

Drives: Blk/Blk 2018 Sierra SLT
I agree with the OP, it is very discouraging when you spend tons of time trying to keep your car looking great and each time you do you find another rock chip. I dont tailgate, I dont drive on gravel, and there is not really any construction going on over here, a large majority of the rock chips on my car are on the DOORS AND QUARTER PANEL by the gills. If it were from tailgating then I would have a TON on my front bumper and hood but there is probably a total of 5 on the bumper and 1 on the hood VS 10-15 on each drivers/passenger door/QP

TRADED: 2016 2SS M6
Jeanius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 07:54 PM   #34
Moose

Drives: '99 Camaro SS #1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilo-9 View Post
Just curious...was is the bubbling on the roof and/or sail panel?
It was on the roof panel behind the t-tops.
Moose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #35
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
I took a small stone on the small part of my front end and it richocheted on to my roof (on the way to CamaroFest). Two SMALL chips and a couple of nicks by the gills. Nothing noticeable (except I know where they are).

Mine's my daily driver and I've got 6500 miles on her..
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #36
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
This complaint has been talked about on this forum almost as much as the mustang. I think something is up with the paint on these cars ,or there wouldn't be so many complaint threads about it. Mine has more chips on the front and side gills than all of my other cars combined ,and my oldest car is 23 years old with the original paint, and it looks better than my one year old camaro. I don't know what is going on or what to blame ,but something isn't right. I've had mine in for warranty paint work ,but now I'm done. I'm just going to live it and either get the whole car painted in a couple of years or trade it on a new one. (Z/28)
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:21 PM   #37
Seminole

Drives: 07 Solstice GXP
This complaint has been talked about on this forum almost as much as the mustang. I think something is up with the paint on these cars ,or there wouldn't be so many complaint threads about it.

With the complaints about the chips on the sides, I wonder if the aerodynamics (or lack thereof) aren't a large factor. If rocks are crashing into the front instead of slipping over it, and being swept/sucked into the side by a large bow wave low pressure on the front quarters, that would explain some of the prevalence.
Seminole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 10:33 PM   #38
christianmotox

Drives: ( . )( . )
In the company we have 2 2004 Hyundai accents, both of them with around 70k miles. and ive seen some camaros here with more paint chips that those Accents.

I think its Bull $hit that you need to install $1000 in clear bra protection to have the same amount of chips than the Accents that i drive at work.

There are people here that payed close to 40k for the camaro and i don't think its fair to have all those rock chips, I think GM should pay for the repairs.
christianmotox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:47 AM   #39
h2oplay
Winners find a way

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS M6
I have 6k miles and not one chip on the front or hood, but my gills have quite a few on both sides, I NEVER tailgate and avoid the freeway all together. I'm going to try and fashion some front mudflaps, I think the front tires are tossing debris into the gills....
h2oplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #40
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminole View Post
This complaint has been talked about on this forum almost as much as the mustang. I think something is up with the paint on these cars ,or there wouldn't be so many complaint threads about it.

With the complaints about the chips on the sides, I wonder if the aerodynamics (or lack thereof) aren't a large factor. If rocks are crashing into the front instead of slipping over it, and being swept/sucked into the side by a large bow wave low pressure on the front quarters, that would explain some of the prevalence.
That could be.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:31 AM   #41
MSG'

Drives: 2010 1SS Camaro
I have 18000 miles on my car, and its black, and my gills, and front bumper are rediculous to say the least, the service manager, just kindof joked with me and played it off like its normal.

its not normal, this is like my 8th car, and 3rd black car, and never had this bad a problem
MSG' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 06:43 AM   #42
Silver ice SS

Drives: Silver ice Metallic 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by christianmotox View Post
In the company we have 2 2004 Hyundai accents, both of them with around 70k miles. and ive seen some camaros here with more paint chips that those Accents.

I think its Bull $hit that you need to install $1000 in clear bra protection to have the same amount of chips than the Accents that i drive at work.

There are people here that payed close to 40k for the camaro and i don't think its fair to have all those rock chips, I think GM should pay for the repairs.
I agree totally. 100%
Silver ice SS is offline   Reply With Quote