Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 03-07-2016, 12:09 AM   #57
Crash76
Team 913

Drives: '14 ZL1, '15 Jeep GC, ‘22 Ram 2500
I mod to support the global economy ... !
Crash76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:24 AM   #58
DOC52
THE U

Drives: Camaro 1SS/RS
Everyone comes from different backgrounds and situations. Some of us couldn't afford a 60k Camaro, I know I couldn't. I'm in my first job out of college and working my ass off to afford/enjoy my 1SS. Wouldn't say it was the best purchase for a recent college grad, but my car is a general reminder of what hard work can do (especially after a couple mods.) There's something about building a car, especially a base car, the way you want and making it your own. Thats just my personal belief, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in the end if you're driving something you love, its a badass feeling.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:11 PM   #59
EvenPrime

Drives: 2014 ZL1 Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrhagen View Post
Why would anybody buy a high performance sports car with an auto trans?

I doubt there is a person in here that has an auto and regrets not getting the standard. Those days are gone. You just can't beat the paddle-shift with 600+ horses IMO

I sometimes miss my old Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo but I definitely do not miss shifting that bitch in traffic
Old 03-12-2016, 10:17 PM   #60
jayno20
Go fast, please.

Drives: 2019 Corvette ZR1
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenPrime View Post
I doubt there is a person in here that has an auto and regrets not getting the standard. Those days are gone. You just can't beat the paddle-shift with 600+ horses IMO

I sometimes miss my old Dodge Stealth Twin Turbo but I definitely do not miss shifting that bitch in traffic
Definitely not true, I remember seeing a thread not too long ago where the person was asking what the cost of swapping transmissions would be because he wanted the manual and made the "mistake" of buying an auto. There are going to be people that regret the decision to get a manual, too, sure.

Those days are DEFINITELY not gone, I wouldn't even consider buying a car like this in an auto, where you may, I wouldn't. I've wanted a GTR for as long as I can remember and I absolutely refuse to buy one with an auto transmission. I don't care if its a second faster 0-60 or not, in MY OPINION it isn't even close to as fun to drive as a manual.

Lumping people into categories like this is a bad idea. You like the auto, sure, not everyone does. You couldn't PAY me to own this car or any high performance car in an auto and I know I'm not the only one.
jayno20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 08:25 PM   #61
hognutz

Drives: 2013 ZL1
IMO with prices where they are right now if you goal is mods just buy the Zl1.

a used SS + supercharger kit alone will approach used Zl1 price.

the only reason right now to buy an SS and mod is if you just can't afford the initial cost of even a used zl1.

I get modding and I will do it if I am restoring a car but modding a new car is just a way to waste money IMO. then again I switch cars quite a bit.

I will give everybody a hint car + mods = less money in your pocket at sale. modding newer cars is finnacially bad. I mean I reverted my Zl1 to stock when I sold it I would not have got any more out of it + mods.

now if you never sell that is one thing but not many people hang on to cars 30 years anymore. There are so many electronics in them I am not sure you want to ha ha.
2013 ZL1 -sold
2007 Z06- sold
2014 Chrysler 300
2011 Duramax 8" lift, deleted tuned
hognutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:06 PM   #62
supergt99

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS 1LE
i used to work with a guy that said why mod it? you can buy it with a warranty and big HP off the showroom floor. nothing beats doing your own mods. they can keep the warranty.
supergt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 08:13 PM   #63
Sven59
HAMMER PILOT

Drives: 13 ZL1#182, 85 CJ7, 16 Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by hognutz View Post
IMO with prices where they are right now if you goal is mods just buy the Zl1.

a used SS + supercharger kit alone will approach used Zl1 price.

the only reason right now to buy an SS and mod is if you just can't afford the initial cost of even a used zl1.

I get modding and I will do it if I am restoring a car but modding a new car is just a way to waste money IMO. then again I switch cars quite a bit.

I will give everybody a hint car + mods = less money in your pocket at sale. modding newer cars is finnacially bad. I mean I reverted my Zl1 to stock when I sold it I would not have got any more out of it + mods.

now if you never sell that is one thing but not many people hang on to cars 30 years anymore. There are so many electronics in them I am not sure you want to ha ha.
Drove my 31 year old Jeep today that I bought new, hopefully I will be driving my 31 year old ZL1.
Old 03-23-2016, 05:37 PM   #64
CJandtheSS

Drives: 2012 Victory Red Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Just like you said the money could be better spent going towards the things you feel are important. As for myself the Magnetic Ride Suspension wasn't a huge selling point so I choose to buy the SS and have my way with it. I like bang for buck (my "bang" my be different from yours). Dont get me wrong the ZL1 is on a different level and SEXY but I honestly might skip the Zl1 entirely and go for the Vette almost the same $$ difference between the SS and ZL1.
2012 Victory Red 2SS/RS: Cold Air Inductions CAI, Long Tubes, HF Cats. Corsa Catback, Hurst Short Throw, Dyno Tune, Matte Bronze TSW Nurburgrings, Factory High Wing, Afterburners/Illuminated Rear Bow-Tie, and 275/315 Nittos. 420HP 421TQ
CJandtheSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:40 PM   #65
nvydvr

Drives: 2015 Red Rock ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOC52 View Post
Everyone comes from different backgrounds and situations. Some of us couldn't afford a 60k Camaro, I know I couldn't. I'm in my first job out of college and working my ass off to afford/enjoy my 1SS. Wouldn't say it was the best purchase for a recent college grad, but my car is a general reminder of what hard work can do (especially after a couple mods.) There's something about building a car, especially a base car, the way you want and making it your own. Thats just my personal belief, everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but in the end if you're driving something you love, its a badass feeling.
Good for you! And the SS is a very powerful car, it wasn't too long ago that 426hp was mythical for a production car (American anyway). Enjoy your awesome Camaro...
nvydvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:41 PM   #66
nvydvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvenPrime View Post

I absolutely love working the gears... Each to his own, they're both awesome cars!!!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:44 PM   #67
nvydvr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sven59 View Post
Drove my 31 year old Jeep today that I bought new, hopefully I will be driving my 31 year old ZL1.
I was in my '97 Jeep with 224,000 miles on it...
Old 03-23-2016, 07:53 PM   #68
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvydvr View Post
I absolutely love working the gears... Each to his own, they're both awesome cars!!!
+1 I already have 3 other daily drivers so I could care less about shifting in traffic, I only drive this when Intend to do exactly want it was built for and that ain't sitting n traffic.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 09:57 PM   #69
Chevy Runs Deep

Drives: 2015 BLK 1SS LS3 M6 NPP
I thought modding was in the spirit of hot rodding. Price be damned, it's a hobby. We would all have factory vanilla copies of each other if not for mods. Stock is cool and mods are cool. Much worse ways to "waste" money on than something we all obviously enjoy. Our cars.
Chevy Runs Deep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #70
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
The value in modding is yours alone. Do you want something more or different or yours? I bought a Chevrolet Camaro, but when people ask about my car, I'm not selling them a Chevrolet. I'm telling them about my Camaro.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote