Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 01-26-2017, 06:31 AM   #43
The camaro show

Drives: 2015 camaro 2lt
I actually know a lot about cars and my engine prob more then most camaro owners, and I'd really like to go to camaro fest
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Wheels: lexani r-3 bg finish 19x8.5
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 06:32 AM   #44
The camaro show

My parents are 100% fine with it as long as I pay half
Cosmetic mods: SS hood with painted vent, SS bumper, acs 1le front lip black, big worm gfx tinted all lights, solar wing v2, Camaro seat belt pads and oracle color shift halos and fog light halos and rear colorshift bow tie, carbon creations carbon fiber stingray z spoiler
Performance: cold air inductions intake, mrt v1, jacfab ported intake manifold, intake manifold spacer, overkill tuned on E85.
Old 01-26-2017, 08:49 AM   #45
SlingShot

Drives: 2012 ZL1 - #670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashen L99 View Post
As this was a gift from your parents why not just call it good and drive it? I know that if my dad would've bought me that, The thought would have never been conceived in his brain, that I would've been happy just for that. Yeah maybe down the road a cold air intake would be nice, and maybe exhaust but that's it!

Do you pay the insurance? Instead of spending money on mods take that payment over from your parents...
Old 01-26-2017, 08:51 AM   #46
SlingShot

Quote:
Originally Posted by The camaro show View Post

Parents lie through their teeth to make their kids happy, someday you will learn this.
Old 01-26-2017, 09:21 AM   #47
xc_SS/RS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS
Quote:
Being your first car (or maybe first fast car) I wouldn't do major power adders at first. Car will have to be down for a while, it may or may not run right and you will find out just how many parts you can break on it with 600+ hp. (GM probably didn't intend on the V6 seeing over 300hp/tq)

Not trying to put you off of that, but setting up the car to handle the HP goal so you don't break things when you add turbos would be the good way to do it. That way if you happen to change your mind before dropping the cash on forged pistons, rods and whatever else you will need, you won't be 10-12K in the red.

Plus, I'm sure your parents will be happy seeing you enjoy the car instead of getting mad with it chasing tuning niggles or constantly breaking things.

My .02. Nice car btw! I need to add the 14 hood vent to mine.
Z/28 intake, NW, FAST 102, speed engineering LT's, some exhaust, ATI -10% pulley, GM flex fuel injectors, DSX flex fuel sensor, MGW shifter, HP Tuners, some suspension work, stickers and a little weight loss. 12.63 @113.53
xc_SS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 09:49 AM   #48
The camaro show

Well my parents don't lie maybe yours did but if they say they mean it like when they asked what kind of car I wanted and you all can see what car I wanted,and I really love my hood and my vent is color matched.
Old 01-26-2017, 10:15 AM   #49
qcman

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS RDP Tuned L99
You have a very nice car but all we are saying is this is a pretty tall order to accomplish likely fraught with frustration and hefty costs. I read in Jantzen's thread that he blew a motor due to oil building up in the turbos which hydro blocked the motor. So even a guy as wise about this stuff as he is can have some nasty hurdles along the way.

But in the end its up to you what you do with your car. I'm surprised parents would want their kid running that kind of power to possibly send you to an early grave. I was scared getting my son a 4 banger!
qcman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 10:47 AM   #50
PFalcon

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1LT Convertible
Quote:
Well my parents don't lie maybe yours did but if they say they mean it like when they asked what kind of car I wanted and you all can see what car I wanted,and I really love my hood and my vent is color matched.
But they clearly didn't get you the car you WANTED. You WANTED a 600hp car and they bought your a 325hp car. If they can afford to pay half for your $20K in upgrades to get to your desired performance, then they certainly could have afforded to buy you an SS. So do I have this right? You asked your parents for a 6 cylinder Camaro, knowing you would immediately be making plans to double its power? That seems less than brilliant. And frankly, you come across as a spoiled child when you get a brand new 20K gift from your parents and immediately start talking about letting them pay half for your desired modifications...
PFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:01 AM   #51
Dragonman

Drives: 2015 1LT OBE
Quote:
I actually know a lot about cars and my engine prob more then most camaro owners, and I'd really like to go to camaro fest
Since you already know a lot about cars you may already know what I'm about to post.

Getting your NA 3.6 liter V6 to 600HP may be economically, mathematically and functionally impossible. As an example, Formula1 teams spend about 4 million or more to develop and build 1, 1.6 liter, turbocharged with a energy recovery system, power unit for their car. In 2014, when they changed to these size motors they were pumping around 750HP out of them. I can't find any data that states what the ICE output was without the turbocharger and KERS. This season some folks are expecting those little 1.6 liter monsters to hit 1000HP. So, it is possible to make a V6 hit those numbers but, it takes some seriously stout materials, short stroke and small bore, among an entire array of other things, to get that motor to rev over 10,000RPM in order to pump the HP to that level.

Your 3.6 liter motor will require some exotic materials to beef up the internals with that longer stroke and larger bore and withstand revving well above that 10K RPM mark without flying apart.

I don't recall, exactly what the rule of thumb is for CHP / RWHP ratio but, I'm fairly certain if you want 400RWHP, the motor will need to be at or over 500HP at the crank. If you use the numbers from F1 2014 as a yardstick, that will likely take somewhere in the neighborhood of $750,000.00 to get it there. That might be somewhat exaggerated but you get the idea. That's before you even start on the chassis and body changes that will be required to keep a handle on all that power.

So unless you're neck deep in the auto racing industry, have the personnel and resources to develop all that tech and put it in place, getting your 3.6 liter V6 to the level you want without forced induction is most likely a pipe dream.

Not that it can't be done, it will cost a lot more than you seem to think it will.

Went looking again and found some numbers. https://www.formula1.com/en/champion...y_Systems.html

Last edited by Dragonman; 01-26-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Dragonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 11:55 AM   #52
flyby

Drives: 2010 Silver SS
1. Lighter wheels
2. Lighter rotors
3. Lighter flex plate/ clutch
4. electric water pump
5. lighter harmonic balancer
6. gear change in rear
7. lighter 1 piece drive shaft

These should help some... Good luck.

I know with the right parts 600hp is possible, just depends on your budget, IM me for any questions you may have. I have a 2010 2SS/RS putting down 900+hp to the tires.
flyby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #53
frenchsquared

Drives: 15 Z28, 01 Corvette, 96 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
I don't recall, exactly what the rule of thumb is for CHP / RWHP ratio
Industry rule range from 15% to 20% loss.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonman View Post
Getting your 3.6 liter V6 to the level you want without forced induction is most likely a pipe dream.
He never said without forced induction or nitrous.
Twin turbos will get there... I just don't see why it would be worth the money.
I assume lots of the suspension and tranny stuff is different in an SS And a V6 car as well. That will all need upgraded.
frenchsquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2017, 12:24 PM   #54
djcolopi

Drives: @orange_maro
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchsquared View Post
Industry rule range from 15% to 20% loss.

He never said without forced induction or nitrous.
Twin turbos will get there... I just don't see why it would be worth the money.
I assume lots of the suspension and tranny stuff is different in an SS And a V6 car as well. That will all need upgraded.
Same suspension as the ss; FE4 and if its an automatic is a 6L50E instead of a 6L80E. He will want to upgrade the driveline setup, easiest is doing an ss rear swap; ss axles, axle hubs, rear half of driveshaft and then drop in the diff. Now you have all the options the ss owners have for gears and aftermarket axles.

JantzenOKC and I both have 6L50E transmission and so far its taking the power. Trent is making more than me at the moment also. But it all depends on the tune. We both utilize aftermarket trans coolers and he will also want a new stall converter. We both have BMR suspension setups; lower control arms, trailing arms, toe rods, anti-roll kit, driveshaft safety loop and I have the Lingenfelter drag coilovers. I am not 100% positive on MagnumForceGB setup; I believe he also has a 6L50E.

No matter what you buy; I4, V6, V8, V10, V12 you will be spending money. In my opinion it is more of a unique project to build an LFX than a LS3 or L99. Yes, a lot less time and money is needed since all the R&D is done, just drop off your ss at a reputable performance shop and tell them what you want. However, less is involved in the project and its not as personal. If you have the money build what you want. The argument why not just go with a bigger engine is old and undermining; why stop at a regular ss (V8) why not get a zl1? Why get a boosted V8 when you can have a V10? Why not boost the V10? Or just go and get an AMG V12. Or why not just drop in a racing crate or get a W16?
Old 01-26-2017, 12:25 PM   #55
The camaro show

coulf find a 2ss anywhere on the 2015 20% off sale we got 20% of of 36,000 so thats when i decided on tt i like it because its diffrerent. and i come from a big car family and motocycles my dad has 2 bmw bikes.
Old 01-26-2017, 12:27 PM   #56
SlingShot

Quote:
Well my parents don't lie
Santa, Easter Bunny, Tooth Fairy that's where it starts ... SMH