Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 01-16-2019, 12:56 PM   #1
Monte04ss

Drives: 2013 ZL1
head room solution and intro

Hi gang,

thought I would introduce my self, since I have been trolling in the background since Oct 2018..

Back in Oct 2018,I picked up a 2013 ZL1 built by SPI tuning in Ontario Canada. it has all the typical bolt ons, upper/ lower, CAI, headers, heads, cam, injectors, tune... I did not get a Dyno sheet from previous owner, but claims around 650-700 HP at the crank sound close to what I have read on here.
Car is going back to SPI in the spring to check the tune and get some official dyno #'s ! ( the car has 12,000 miles on it and has been sitting for 18 months, prior to me purchasing it) Now its in storage waiting for the nice weather to return !

So now you know about my car...lol
I sold my 2008 M3 to purchase this 5th Gen. While only doing a couple of test drives, I knew I wanted the car. But at 6'3" I ran into the regular head room problem with the sunroof. Having come from Z06 corvette's there is always ways around a problem.

Below is a potential solution anyone with $250 can do, hope it helps someone else out on the forum with the same issues. As you can see in the 1st pic we took the back bar the seat pan plastic mesh hangs from and added 4" eye bolts to lower the rear down by 1.5". Then cut out 1/2" of foam at the back and under the legs. Finished product after some adjustments to the seat cover was an additional 1" of head space and full OEM appearance.

Enjoy

Corey
Attached Images

Monte04ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 04:03 PM   #2
BeachBum

Drives: 2012 (ZL-1) #468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte04ss View Post
Hi gang,

thought I would introduce my self, since I have been trolling in the background since Oct 2018..

Back in Oct 2018,I picked up a 2013 ZL1 built by SPI tuning in Ontario Canada. it has all the typical bolt ons, upper/ lower, CAI, headers, heads, cam, injectors, tune... I did not get a Dyno sheet from previous owner, but claims around 650-700 HP at the crank sound close to what I have read on here.
Car is going back to SPI in the spring to check the tune and get some official dyno #'s ! ( the car has 12,000 miles on it and has been sitting for 18 months, prior to me purchasing it) Now its in storage waiting for the nice weather to return !

So now you know about my car...lol
I sold my 2008 M3 to purchase this 5th Gen. While only doing a couple of test drives, I knew I wanted the car. But at 6'3" I ran into the regular head room problem with the sunroof. Having come from Z06 corvette's there is always ways around a problem.

Below is a potential solution anyone with $250 can do, hope it helps someone else out on the forum with the same issues. As you can see in the 1st pic we took the back bar the seat pan plastic mesh hangs from and added 4" eye bolts to lower the rear down by 1.5". Then cut out 1/2" of foam at the back and under the legs. Finished product after some adjustments to the seat cover was an additional 1" of head space and full OEM appearance.

Enjoy

Corey
Good Info

I had to order mine without sunroof for same problem being 6'6" - I could not get into car with sunroof without hitting the sunroof - Without the sunroof there's no problem for us tall guys
Old 01-17-2019, 12:16 PM   #3
RyangAsh

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I am 6'3'' and I have a real problem with a helmet on in my car....This could be a solution.
RyangAsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 01:10 AM   #4
ZEDL1

Drives: 2013 ZL1 Triple Black, 2015 2LT/RS
I'm 5'5" and can get lost in anything...
ZEDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 08:09 AM   #5
@ReaperZL1

Drives: 2013 camaro zl1 aka the Reaper
i'm 6'2" and have no problems at all whether i have a helmet or not, its all about the adjustment of the seat. i dont even rub the roof with my helmet on.
@ReaperZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 11:34 AM   #6
Monte04ss

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by @ReaperZL1 View Post
i'm 6'2" and have no problems at all whether i have a helmet or not, its all about the adjustment of the seat. i dont even rub the roof with my helmet on.

I agree it's all driver dependent, short legs, long torso, seat leaned back, sun roof...ect I had the seat as low as it could go and the seat leaned back to the point my lower back was hurting. .. For me, it was an issue I knew could be overcome. I was ready to drop in aftermarket seats if i REALLY had to...lol
After doing some research and finding out not many seat bracket adapters would work in the ZL1 ( most of the kits are SS specific) , then the air bag system diode fiasco...i was hoping this $200 solution would be just enough head space to work. For me it did the trick with a comfortable seating position. Just wanted to share this trick and if someone else could benefit, then it was all worth it. That is what these forums at their core is all about. Knowledge sharing..

thanks guys,
Monte04ss is offline   Reply With Quote