Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Member Car Journals

Old 12-03-2018, 04:55 PM   #911
CFD

Drives: 2SS/RS L99 BLACK
Although not a lot to show I did get a lot done today. I started off by getting the body perfectly centered on the frame. I then fit the tubs and transferred the line for bead rolling the flange. Tomorrow I will trim the tubs and bead roll the flange on the first half of the tub, I will then have to fit it with the flange in place so I can fit the side panels and mark the rear half of the tub and bead roll that flange. I will have to fit it one more time and do the same for the flanges for the trunk then I can start welding it in. Should move along fairly quickly now.
Attached Images

CFD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2018, 05:31 PM   #912
CFD

Got the front half of the tubs trimmed down and did the front flange. Now the tub sits on the lip, when welded in all the factory metal that create the body lines on the outside of the car will be original and I will have an extremely strong joint. I also flanged the side panels and fit them, marked the rear half of the tubs for bead rolling. This is the most difficult piece to do and the last step on the tubs. It's difficult because I have to make a 90 deg bend the opposite way of the curve so it will fit in the flange on the side panel. I could cut it to the line and corner weld it but I'd rather the extra strength regardless of the extra work.

You can see why I went through this trouble in the picture of the side panel. When mated together the panels are flat as pointed out with the scale, when the void is welded in and ground flat it will be seamless on the outside but have a 1/2" flange on the inside for strength.

Of course I ran into obstacles. The rear apron had the same types of repairs as the fender wells did so I cut out the areas that were in my way so I could fit the side panels, I'll deal with the apron as a separate repair. I will cut all the remaining metal back there and fabricate a new apron after the trunk is welded in, if I cut it out now I will have to weld in bracing so the body doesn't loose shape.
Attached Images

Old 12-05-2018, 03:59 PM   #913
CFD

Had a very productive day. I got the rear section of the tubs done. I used the bead roller with tipping dies to make the 90 deg bend, I then finished it of with a hammer and dolly to get the angle a true 90. I then fitted them in the car and moved on to the rear fender panel. I got it flanged, fitted and laid out the pattern for bead rolling and got that done and have everything installed. They are only clamped loosely until I lay out the trunk floor section, there's a good chance I will also flange the bottom of the tub in the rear and the bottom of the fender panel to mate to the trunk floor, I should have that done tomorrow and then I will put the pieces back for final fitment and welding. There's one small section where the tub and fender panel meet that I cut out. That is where the fender bolts change direction and it has weird jog to it. When I have it all tacked in I will set the fender in place and make that piece separately. All in all everything is fitting real nicely and should be all set to go.
Attached Images

Old 12-06-2018, 05:49 PM   #914
CFD

Spent some time finishing off the tubs and fender panels. I decided to do a 90 deg bend on he bottom of the panels and rear of the tubs, I will make the flange on the trunk floor. This way the trunk will sit on the lip adding strength and the flange on the floor will add stiffness to the panel. They are on for good so tomorrow I will hold the tubs and panels together and to the body with Cleco's and then remove the clamps and vice grips so there will be no stress on the parts during welding. With the clamps removed I will fit the rear part of the trunk floor, hold it in place with Cleco's and start the welding process.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 09:24 AM   #915
davesnever

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Wow that's coming along nicely. That's gonna be beautiful when you're done. I love all the bead work you've put in the panels too, it's definitely unique.
davesnever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 09:56 AM   #916
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by davesnever View Post
Wow that's coming along nicely. That's gonna be beautiful when you're done. I love all the bead work you've put in the panels too, it's definitely unique.
Thanks, I'm working on it right now, well, after I grab a quick coffee.

Started fastening everything together so I can start on the trunk floor and decided it was a good time to tack in two of the factory braces to help support the tubs during the welding.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 10:05 AM   #917
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Your fabrication skills are inspiring. Keep up the good work!!
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 11:10 AM   #918
CFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Your fabrication skills are inspiring. Keep up the good work!!
Thanks. I appreciate it.

Got the tubs and fender panels all fitted and ready for welding. All the seams and joints are real tight and clean, couldn't be any happier with it. The front factory bracing is all useable but almost all of them have had some type of repairs done that have effected them so at some point I will cut them out and fabricate something better.After lunch I'm moving on to the rear trunk floor section. I'm hoping to have it in by days end.
Attached Images

Old 12-07-2018, 06:17 PM   #919
CFD

Got the first panel for the trunk floor all trimmed and fitted, I laid out the pattern for the bead rolling. Tomorrow I will bead roll it, flange it and get it final fitted. I will double check all my work and start tacking everything in place. Once everything is secure I can remove the Clekos and make sure the fender fits correctly, then I have some welding to do.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 12:12 AM   #920
davesnever

I thought I saw you mention you were going to put the battery in the trunk. Are you going to make a separate battery box and if so where's it going? Only reason I ask is I was noticing the templates you had marked on the floor pan and at first had wondered if one side was shaped like that but checked and they both look same to me.
Old 12-08-2018, 05:21 AM   #921
CFD

Quote:
I thought I saw you mention you were going to put the battery in the trunk. Are you going to make a separate battery box and if so where's it going? Only reason I ask is I was noticing the templates you had marked on the floor pan and at first had wondered if one side was shaped like that but checked and they both look same to me.
Battery box will be a separate component. Most likely will be in the trunk but I'm not committing to it yet.
Old 12-08-2018, 03:21 PM   #922
davesnever

Oh OK. At least rebuilding this way you get to decide what and where everything goes. The back seat area can be done lots of different ways. Any ideas yet ?
Old 12-08-2018, 05:18 PM   #923
CFD

Quote:
Oh OK. At least rebuilding this way you get to decide what and where everything goes. The back seat area can be done lots of different ways. Any ideas yet ?
No back seat, maybe a 2" padded panel to resemble a seat only to aid in sound deadening and comfort. Not much of an interior either. It will be my daily driver ,weather permitting but I want it as basic as possible.

Changed the design for the bead rolling. Decided on something a little stiffer where as I do put heavy items in the trunk. Got everything in place with Clekos, double checked alignment and got every thing tac welded in place. Tomorrow I may have time to start the rest of the trunk floor or I may do the structural support that goes on the back edge of the piece I already made and ties in to the small floor that goes to the apron and forms the rear body mount.
Attached Images

Old 12-08-2018, 08:38 PM   #924
davesnever

Nice, looks pretty cool, hope this baby lasts you a long while.