Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-18-2010, 11:13 AM   #1
L05ER
displacement whore

Drives: 71 Monte Carlo
Duplicating Red Jewel Tintcoat

i apologize if this has been posted before. i did search, but couldn't find anything.

i'm trying to duplicate the RJT color on a diecast model. i figure any info would also be useful to anyone trying to accent the interior with RJT.

i own a home improvement company and know that even factory colors don't match perfectly, so i'm not expecting a dead on match... just something much closer than Jada offers on any of their models.

i've done some looking and found a few places selling the color GM 80/WA301N. most places list this as a base coat or tricoat.

the information i'm missing is:

what do i use as a mid coat between base and final clear coats?

what color would anyone recommend as a primer? standard gray?

any advice would be appreciated.
L05ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
shevyman

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS IOM
you know that is a good question. they probably used a silver. never mind just read it again i was thinking base coat. or maybe silver is base then the GM 80/WA301N. sorry that i could not help you
shevyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #3
L05ER
displacement whore

i thought a gray primer would work best, it's the way to go with dark reds when doing home improvement. i know cars and homes are worlds apart, so i'm asking anyone with automotive paint experience (maybe RJT specifically) for any input.

i was thinking the metallic in a silver would show through the GM 80/WA301N, but i maybe wrong.
Old 01-18-2010, 01:27 PM   #4
Hopeful

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Look to the model car world. There are a few companies who can custom mix a color for you and in addition give you tips on how to proceed for the best results.
There is a company in Burlington called MCW Automotive Finishes. Look for his add in Scale Auto Magazine. I have dealt with him on numerous occasions and have had some paint custom mixed. This will be the route that I likely take when I do my model.

Andy
Old 01-18-2010, 01:39 PM   #5
L05ER
displacement whore

thanks for the tip, Burlington is pretty close. i may end up going that route if i can't find much more info.

i'd rather do it myself, but i'll give them a call and see how they can help me.
Old 01-18-2010, 04:19 PM   #6
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
The paint code itself implies that there is no other layer. The way GM's factory color codes work, if the paint is a multilayer paint, it will be listed as such in the first half of the paint code (the part before the "/" in this case the "80"). If it was the top layer it would be listed with a "U" after the "80" and the bottom layer would be listed with a "L" making the paint code for example 80U/WA301N or 80L/WA301N. Since the RJT color code is listed as 80/WA301N, then it seems to be a normal base coat clear coat application.

As for color of primer, I would go with white but it depends on your tastes. White primer makes the color brighter and more pure. Yellow, gray, and black primers darken the color and makes it less pure along with other color changing side effects that may or may not be desirable depending on the base coat color and the color you are after.

I believe GM uses a white primer.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 04:43 PM   #7
L05ER
displacement whore

i did some looking for build sheet data on google, and every occurrence of red jewel tintcoat is actually listed as 80*U*.

i read on some corvette forums that when it comes to touch up paint the U is irrelevant...?

however, in one post on gminsidenews.com about an 06 trailblazer, i found the color listed as : "8NH 80U"? *upon further searching i determined this to be a typo on the build sheet, the 8NH is for a different option*

i'll try calling that place in Burlington tomorrow and see if they can offer any guidance.

i'll probably do a few different samples, and then find a dealership with a RJT car to check my samples against.

thanks for the input

[edit]
just re-watched the ultimate factories camaro episode, at the start of the trim portion they show the pulled doors. you can see the first set is RJT and the primer they use is the same for all the colors, a darker gray. so that answers that question.

Last edited by L05ER; 01-18-2010 at 05:10 PM. Reason: additional info