Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

Old 05-04-2013, 12:27 AM   #1023
ScottyB911

Drives: 2016 2SS Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Well today probably went as bad as it could have. Took the front bumper off, headlights out, baked, and opened. Everything ready for the halos. The halos get here and I instantly notice one of the wires isn't attached to the halo. It must have ripped off somewhere along the line (the wires were tightly wrapped around the halo when it was shipped). So I figure ok I'll just solder it back on. Nope, go to solder it and there was nothing to solder the wire to. The little bit they had must've fallen off when the wire got seperated.

Long story short, I'm stuck with one working halo, and a front end taken apart. I wrote them a nasty email, hopefully they do something about this (meaning send a new halo overnight would be nice) so I can get my car back together. Until then, I guess I'm keeping the cover on the car and riding my bicycle to work.

Along with that, I tried plasti-dip for the first time. The finish was good and everything, but when I went to remove the tape, the paint just stuck to the tape and peeled up in most the spots. I don't know what I did wrong. I pulled the tape up before the last coat dried like everybody says to do. I'll post pictures of how bad it is tomorrow when I'm a little less frustrated.
Been burned too many times to ever start a project before Ive checked all the new parts. (See: Heritage Grill)

When you peel the masking off dont pull it "up" but rather fold the edge back and pull it across itself (if that makes sense?) Basically the edge of the masking doesnt lift the paint but sort of acts as a cutting edge of sorts.

Scotty B
ScottyB911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 12:36 AM   #1024
blink
dave

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB911 View Post
Been burned too many times to ever start a project before Ive checked all the new parts. (See: Heritage Grill)

When you peel the masking off dont pull it "up" but rather fold the edge back and pull it across itself (if that makes sense?) Basically the edge of the masking doesnt lift the paint but sort of acts as a cutting edge of sorts.
I'll have to try that, I did pull up on the masking tape and tried pulling from different angles but no such luck. That's the only thing I didn't try.
Old 05-04-2013, 02:05 AM   #1025
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Drives: 2017 1LE
blink how well did the baking part go? i want to take mine apart so i can paint the inside white... but ive never baked my headlights or seen someone do it..
Twoblindsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:29 AM   #1026
blink
dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twoblindsheep View Post
blink how well did the baking part go? i want to take mine apart so i can paint the inside white... but ive never baked my headlights or seen someone do it..
It took me an hour to get the both of them open. It's frustrating, but I sat down with a beer and just got it over with. The first one I had to reheat once for 5 minutes, the second one wasn't so easy. I had to reheat it like 3 times. You just kinda keep working around the edges, once you can get your hand in there you want to use some force and seperate them. There's 2 layers of sealant in there, one is easy to get in between, the second is the one that requires you to really dig.

I'm just irritated that I went through all that opening them up, and can't even finish the job until I get a replacement or buy a replacement
Old 05-04-2013, 03:26 AM   #1027
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

hmmm sooo lets say.. a 6 pack and you help me out? lol
Old 05-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #1028
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Along with that, I tried plasti-dip for the first time. The finish was good and everything, but when I went to remove the tape, the paint just stuck to the tape and peeled up in most the spots. I don't know what I did wrong. I pulled the tape up before the last coat dried like everybody says to do. I'll post pictures of how bad it is tomorrow when I'm a little less frustrated.[/QUOTE]

Thats what you get for doing it early before we had a chance to get together tomorrow and spray these while having a cold beverage......BWAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!

looks like I will be trying it on my own.
Old 05-04-2013, 07:50 AM   #1029
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

orrr you guys can wait for me!
just a history of me pasti-dipping...
i did my rims on my black camaro and all my chevy bowtie.. and on the white camaro.. i did the rear black out!
Old 05-04-2013, 09:54 AM   #1030
emin7
1st State C5

Drives: 2010 Camaro SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:
orrr you guys can wait for me!
just a history of me pasti-dipping...
i did my rims on my black camaro and all my chevy bowtie.. and on the white camaro.. i did the rear black out!
I'd love to meet up sometime if you could help me out with this. Been meaning to remove my vinyl blackout and do something more legit. I'd like to black out my bowties as well. Never used the stuff before though
Old 05-04-2013, 10:49 AM   #1031
blink
dave

Jim we can meet up if you want. My car is just taken apart though so I can't really go anywhere without my headlights in. That's why I figured well I guess I gotta try it myself. If there's a way we can do some plasti-dipping today or tomorrow let me know!

Quote:
hmmm sooo lets say.. a 6 pack and you help me out? lol
Haha I can. I hate the feeling of doing it, you feel like you're cracking your headlight lens the entire time. The edges to get messed up a little when doing it though.

Last edited by blink; 05-04-2013 at 11:21 AM.
blink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:30 AM   #1032
SILVERHAWK

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, '22 Silverado Z71
Probably not going to get a chance to meet up with you today Dave....some year I will get around to getting that thing plasti dipped......ugh

Almost forgot......I saw that RJT SS with the black wheels again after my sons game at Polytech..... he was sitting all by himself a few rows from my ride. Didn't get any reaction from him, so I still don't know who it is....but it sure looks like he has our stickers on his window.
Old 05-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #1033
Twoblindsheep
[COTW 1/6/14]

Quote:
Originally Posted by emin7 View Post
I'd love to meet up sometime if you could help me out with this. Been meaning to remove my vinyl blackout and do something more legit. I'd like to black out my bowties as well. Never used the stuff before though
yeah im thinking about re doing mine too! i have the vinyl and the bubbles kills me.. might just dip them!
i get back around the end of may.. we can probably get together and do it then

Quote:
Originally Posted by blink View Post
Jim we can meet up if you want. My car is just taken apart though so I can't really go anywhere without my headlights in. That's why I figured well I guess I gotta try it myself. If there's a way we can do some plasti-dipping today or tomorrow let me know!

Haha I can. I hate the feeling of doing it, you feel like you're cracking your headlight lens the entire time. The edges to get messed up a little when doing it though.
yeah i just want to get them opened to so i can have the painted white! i think it would looks bad ass!
Old 05-07-2013, 06:12 PM   #1034
Sketch

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS RJT
The paint is done. Here is is. What do you guys think?

These were taken with my phone so these pictures don't do it justice. Looks way better in person.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:45 PM   #1035
ScottyB911

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sketch View Post
The paint is done. Here is is. What do you guys think?

These were taken with my phone so these pictures don't do it justice. Looks way better in person.
Having that lower splitter/spoiler painted body color rather than black looks 100 times better than OEM...

Scotty B
Old 05-07-2013, 07:47 PM   #1036
ScottyB911

Quote:
yeah im thinking about re doing mine too! i have the vinyl and the bubbles kills me.. might just dip them!
i get back around the end of may.. we can probably get together and do it then
3M 1080 satin black vinyl and a razor blade...no bubbles, no drying time, and nearly impossible not to get perfect.

Scotty B