Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 10-28-2014, 10:58 AM   #29
Raysmaro

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by gajagfan View Post
Are we sure its the cop that's being the d-bag? How much are new tail lights vs. all the tickets you are going to get? What if someone hits you from the rear, and they deem it your fault? I might be looking at lights.
Its not expensive at all for the tickets 25 dollars, this is my second one for taillights so all together 50? Like i said before I made them light enough to where you can clearly see a lot of light through them.
Raysmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:03 AM   #30
Raysmaro

Drives: 2012 45th Anniversary Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpig View Post
Newsflash, I'm young too. I drive the same vehicle. I've never been pulled over.

The law doesn't work in your favor because you're doing "most everything" right. It's all or nothing. They can pull you over and "be d-bags" because that 2% of your car that's violating the law is still violating the law.

Don't want to be harassed? either change your preferences or suck it up. You don't get both.

I'd be interested to see a statistical comparison of how often tinted taillights cause accidents next to speeding and texting and how often the three correlate.
I'm pretty sure that if you look at the statistics that speeding and talking/texting while driving are way up there. They don't have billboards saying "Please don't tint you taillights" But i for sure see them for "Please don't speed" or "Please don't talk while driving"

Some cops worry about the stupidest things, your going to waste 20 min of your time to tell me that my lights are illegal and give me a ticket for 25 dollars and be on your way? haha sounds really smart.
Raysmaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:16 AM   #31
Norm Peterson
corner barstool sitter

Drives: 08 Mustang GT, 19 WRX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raysmaro View Post
Instead of worry about ****ing taillights they should be worrying about other things happening on the road, such as speeding, texting while driving ect...
They'd be able to do more policing of those other violations . . . if they didn't keep seeing all sorts of blacked out lights and other obvious appearance mods that don't quite agree with the state's motor vehicle code. Hell, tinted lights may even be their probable cause for following you to see if you eventually speed or to look for evidence of texting and what-not.

You like the "look", fine. But save it for when you're parked as a car show entrant. Otherwise consideration for other people - their ability to instantly see what you're signalling - really does override your vanity. I've had a driver try to steer right through my car because I couldn't see his directional signal through the tint in the daylight (yes, it was a front directional, but that's really immaterial).

Me: looks like that car's going straight across the intersection and I'm not turning either, so it's safe for me to go.

Moron: WTF, I put my directional signal on to turn left and this guy keeps on coming????

Me (now close enough to see a faint flicker because it's almost in my face): <tap brakes, swerve right to give said moron more room to get himself stopped> WTF, does that idiot think I can read his mind?

No, I don't have a lot of patience with tinted lights.

Norm
Norm Peterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #32
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that if you look at the statistics that speeding and talking/texting while driving are way up there. They don't have billboards saying "Please don't tint you taillights" But i for sure see them for "Please don't speed" or "Please don't talk while driving"

Some cops worry about the stupidest things, your going to waste 20 min of your time to tell me that my lights are illegal and give me a ticket for 25 dollars and be on your way? haha sounds really smart.
I love assumptions, they just make me all tingly inside. What you're saying is because it isn't being advertised it's not an issue. It's almost a case of Pirsig's paradox. Would you believe gravity didn't exist if it wasn't documented?

That cop worried about some stupid thing may have just saved someone's life. I'd rather he take 20 minutes to try to prevent someone rear-ending you since obviously you don't get the implications behind your edgy taillights.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:20 AM   #33
Manbearpig
Engineer of softness-ware

Drives: 2013 2LT RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norm Peterson View Post
They'd be able to do more policing of those other violations . . . if they didn't keep seeing all sorts of blacked out lights and other obvious appearance mods that don't quite agree with the state's motor vehicle code. Hell, tinted lights may even be their probable cause for following you to see if you eventually speed or to look for evidence of texting and what-not.

You like the "look", fine. But save it for when you're parked as a car show entrant. Otherwise consideration for other people - their ability to instantly see what you're signalling - really does override your vanity. I've had a driver try to steer right through my car because I couldn't see his directional signal through the tint in the daylight (yes, it was a front directional, but that's really immaterial).

Me: looks like that car's going straight across the intersection and I'm not turning either, so it's safe for me to go.

Moron: WTF, I put my directional signal on to turn left and this guy keeps on coming????

Me (now close enough to see a faint flicker because it's almost in my face): <tap brakes, swerve right to give said moron more room to get himself stopped> WTF, does that idiot think I can read his mind?

No, I don't have a lot of patience with tinted lights.

Norm
Well stated.
Manbearpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 11:27 AM   #34
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
Quote:
Yeah they might have warned me, but no way in hell am i gonna waste money on rebuying new lights for the car. .

You wasted money breaking the law to begin with.

Sometimes there is a price to doing something... that is not so bright.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:05 PM   #35
Pluto

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroCracka View Post
What is really sad is California is where lots of the greatest hot rodding innovations came from. Now people have to bail to AZ and NV

Let me see if I can connect the dots for you. I believe the comment was pointing out the lack of consistent logic, not uncommon in a place so heavily regulated, between allowing the use of marijuana (something illegal at the federal level) but denying the use of tinted taillights, something seemingly much less potentially harmful.

I dislike both marijuana and tinted taillights myself, but I don't feel either should be illegal. I realize the marijuana is supposed to be used for medical purposes, but that is not reality and it is much more difficult arrest someone for driving while stoned (as Colorado is finding out). The good news is they are generally doing 55 in a 70, so I just blow right by.
Thank you for keeping me from explaining

Small, but effective mod list:

Roto-Fab Intake, TSP 2" Long tubes, TSP catless mids, MSD spark plug wires, stock catback, Elite Catch Can, APEX washer relocation and scoop, VMAX throttle body, Diablo InTune-Tuned by Matt@FSP, and a JacFab license plate bracket.
Pluto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:08 PM   #36
jamesfg49

Drives: 2011 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
the more I read about California the more I feel for the people who live there...I have never been, but I just can't imagine living in a place that's so contradicting...lets legalize weed, but you cant put long tubes or blacked out tail lights on your car...I know weed brings the money in, but seriously think about it..California is ridiculous
Amen.

Back in the day when I used to drive out to Kommiefornia for car shows with my XB, on multiple occasions CHP would see me coming from the other direction (usually no front license plate and tint) flip a uturn and follow me until they saw my AZ plates then peel off.

Tickets, IMHO, in Kommiefornia is just a way to subsidize a failing government that can't budget it's money.
jamesfg49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:15 PM   #37
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
How much better did your car run with tinted lights? Thats what I thought!
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:22 PM   #38
djpelosi

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
What some of these people fail to realize is that the OP isn't complaining about getting a ticket, but rather the cost of the ticket itself. I'm sure the OP realizes that having blacked out tail lights is illegal, but I'm sure we can all agree that a $200+ ticket for tinted tail lights is a bit drastic. I've had speeding tickets that cost less than that and speeding is considered more hazardous than tinted tail lights.

Most cops these days don't worry small things like this. It's the 1 asshole cop out of 10 cops that decide to hassle people about something so small. I've got 5% tint on my front and rear windows, with 40% on my windshield. Have had it for two years and been pulled over numerous times and never got bothered about my tint until I got my first tint ticket a month ago in the entire two years of being pulled over, which the courts ended up dropping at no cost anyway. I explained to the cop that stopped me that I bought the car with the tint from the dealer (which is the truth) and that I've never been bothered about it any other time I've been pulled over by any other cops. His response was: "Well, you've never been pulled over by me."
Bo White Ported Throttle Body
Hurst Short Throw Shifter
Best Time: 12.43 @ 114, 1.99 60' on stock wheels and stock tires
Build Thread
djpelosi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:30 PM   #39
CamaroCracka

Drives: 2010 Turbo LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pluto View Post
Thank you for keeping me from explaining
My pleasure sir.

2011 Vert - 416/w 230/236 .612/.602 115lsa, 1LE suspension w/32mm rear bar. Z28 diff. ZL1 brakes.
CamaroCracka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:36 PM   #40
Green Machine
Always Workin

Drives: 2021 Mazda MX-5
Manbearpig talks the talk but when he gets pulled over and ticketed can he walk the walk.

2018 1SS 1LE, HyperBlue Metallic (Sold)
2014 1SS 1LE, Black, Twin Turbo (Sold)
Green Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 12:58 PM   #41
c5Legend
Camaro5

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
Not a fan of tinted taillights at all lol
But yeah you gotta pay to play.. learn it with every car.

My Build
'11 Chrysler 300 Limited / '10 Camaro 2LT
c5Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #42
turboguy327
Banned

Drives: 2011 Chevy Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRaf View Post
I was pulled over last August for blacked out tail lights and it cost me $$239? **** California!!!

Good!
turboguy327 is offline   Reply With Quote