Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 08-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #57
titanfan
Account Suspended

Drives: Several in a big garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
They should have verified the source before putting it in the list. Well, it states on-board video not available anyway, but still..

Horsepowerkings is a known site for hoax news. It's a pity that they can still fool many, including sites that are trying to aggregate legitimate data (like this site you referenced).

I'm honestly not at all interested in Nurburgring times since it's a kind of track where getting closer to potential death makes your lap times better (so it will depend on the driver more than I'd like to have a fair comparison), but I am pretty much shocked about that overrev management. Here is hoping the car does not get released with such a system in place; I'd simply never buy such a car.
There is no such thing as an "official" 'Ring time anyway. That list is just a list of times different cars ran on the track. Different years, different conditions, different start/end points, etc. If that is the performance yardstick you are using to judge a car you're interested in buying, you may want to rethink your decision.

I figure over the next few months we'll get all the data you will ever want regarding the GT350 and it's track prowess just as we were inundated with z/28 information once they were available for instrumented testing.
titanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:30 PM   #58
ZL1-V

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ztwentypoop View Post
There is no such thing as an "official" 'Ring time anyway. That list is just a list of times different cars ran on the track. Different years, different conditions, different start/end points, etc. If that is the performance yardstick you are using to judge a car you're interested in buying, you may want to rethink your decision.

I figure over the next few months we'll get all the data you will ever want regarding the GT350 and it's track prowess just as we were inundated with z/28 information once they were available for instrumented testing.
That was one of my reasons I bought a 2006 CTS-V! I wanted a fast sedan that could handle and had HP.
ZL1-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:37 PM   #59
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
How a car handles the ring tells us a lot about the car, especially with in car video. Until I see video of the new Mustang, it is nothing but Ford doing a great job of marketing vaporware.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 04:45 PM   #60
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post
How can that be possible? That time is listed on the nurburgring website.

https://nurburgringlaptimes.com/lap-times-top-100/

I just assumed it was a official time because it was on the website?
That website is a .com. Not the official Nurburgring
http://www.nuerburgring.de/en/home.html

Ford never put out or officially claimed that 7:32 time and according to Al O it never happened (red)
Quote:
AO: We did, but the way that Nürburgring works during industry pool weeks, which are a few times a year, is, all manufacturers go and you get to do all your testing closed to the public. One of the gentlemen’s agreements is they don’t allow cameras during the day, because while we might have production Z/28s over there, Mercedes or Range Rover or Porsche, they might have something camouflaged. Everyone is sharing the track. To do a fast hot lap, you really need the track cleared, so what they do is every day at 5:10 p.m., they shut the track entrance down. It takes on average, 9 to 10 minutes to get around the track. So if you’re going to do a hot lap, you’ve got from 10 after 5 to about 5:30 p.m. and then they open the track up to the public. During the day, sometimes you get these periods where there’s not a lot of activity on the track and you can run laps, but no cameras. We’ve actually run Z/28 times that are significantly faster than the one we published in the video, but we respect the gentlemen’s agreement, and to protect our integrity, we don’t publish a time that we can’t verify with a video. We could have easily done that. Unfortunately, when we were there, it rained, literally every day at 5 o’clock. You’d see the clouds roll in at 5 o’clock. The day Adam ran that [for the video], I wasn’t even aware it was raining on his side of the track and when he came back in and we watched the video, our jaws dropped. But the fact of the matter is, we’ve run much faster times, we just don’t have the video to stand behind it publically. Hypothetically, if someone wanted to lay claim that they ran a 7.32 at the Nürburgring ring, um, the fact that we were there at the same time and we know who ran at 10 after 5 every day, it might put it into question if that was real. Especially if the manufacturer didn’t stand behind it. Just sayin’.[Editor’s note: If you didn’t catch that little jab, rumors have been circulating online that the Mustang GT350R ran a 7:32.19, uncomfirmed by Ford.]

Read more: http://www.hotrod.com/features/1506-take-five-with-al-oppenheiser/#ixzz3c2w9UshF
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2015, 08:30 PM   #61
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
I think the GT350-R is going to be a great car. I also love my Z/28. Until I get the chance to drive both, on the same track, it's kinda hard to know much more. Can't wait to see Randy Pobst get his hands on one for Lightning Laps, though...
Old 08-17-2015, 06:32 AM   #62
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS GT350 View Post
You won't have to wait much longer for the GT350 tests to hit the internet. The media days are scheduled for August 25/26th at Laguna Seca. The 27th and 28th are reserved for the GT350 North American Track Tour where Ford has invited people to drive the cars on the track. Groups are for existing Ford owners of Boss 302's, GT500's and 50th anniversary GT's, other media, other car owners and dealers and special invites. I'll be there on the 28th. I was also there this past weekend and got some hot laps in a R driven by one of the engineers that helped develop the suspension. It's impressive. Regardless of which car is faster at the Ring, who really cares as how many of us do track days there, the media will have the answer starting a week from Wednesday.

http://www.mazdaraceway.com/calendar

I've seen Ray, BRT3, a few times at the Norcal tracks and it's great to see the Z/28 out on track. I've got a race red GT350 TP on order but it won't arrive until early next year. I'll get some good track tires and then hit the track next Spring. And thanks to Ray I'm looking at some Finspeed wheels too.

Which the means actual December or January real time magazine embargo ending..
Old 08-17-2015, 10:31 AM   #63
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Just read an article in car/driver and they seem to love the new VooDoo engine. Many of the mags are pumped up about Fords new motor.
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 10:38 AM   #64
forklord

Drives: 2010 2SS
Those cars look hideous. I really liked the last gens styling.

And if theres only 537 being made within the next two years...are they even worth talking about? Ill probly never see one.
2010 2SS- 562whp/634wtq 12 psi on3 turbo 78mm magnum /w aem truboost, pat g cam, Kooks 3" catback, Factory Rep 41s with 285/315 20" michelin PSS, Snow Meth, Hex Hood Vents, ZL1 FP & ADM FPCM /w JMS BAP, ID 850s, DSS lvl 4 axles & aluminum 1 piece D/S, Total Pro BMR bushings, fe4 sways, toe rods & trailing arms, Prothane engine mounts, MGW shifter, eaton true trac, mantic 9000 clutch, idealg master cylinder, JDP clutch oil reservoir, ram clutch pedal adjust, Tick clutch & bleed lines, Dewitts Rad
forklord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 03:41 PM   #65
Jeb114

Drives: 2021 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by forklord View Post
Those cars look hideous. I really liked the last gens styling.

And if theres only 537 being made within the next two years...are they even worth talking about? Ill probly never see one.
That's 200 units for the first year 2015, 2016 they expect 2500 units. and so on for as long as they produce them..
Jeb114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 04:11 PM   #66
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEDISIN View Post
The key missing words in this marketing blurb is "around Grattan".

Grattan (2.0 miles)
ZL1 1:27.95
GT500 1:28.53

GingerMan (2.2 miles)
Z/28 1:41.80
ZL1 1:42.05
GT500 1:45.21
Couple of notes...the ZL1 time listed/claimed at Gingerman was posted by Mark Stielow of GM. The magazine time was a 1:44.xx the same day as the 1:45.21 from the GT500 with the same driver.

At Grattan my 1LE showroom stock and 8 days old with about 700 miles of seat time turned a 1:31.47. MY PB now with a cold air intake, Pedders springs and CTS-V 6-pistons brakes on Hankook RS3 tires is 1:28.7. The GT350 ran 3 seconds faster than my PB. The GT350R will run 9 seconds faster than my stock time there......but I cant tell you what they ran

As reference: I held a track record in my NASA TTS class from 2007-2010 at Grattan

Matt
Old 08-17-2015, 05:13 PM   #67
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Couple of notes...the ZL1 time listed/claimed at Gingerman was posted by Mark Stielow of GM. The magazine time was a 1:44.xx the same day as the 1:45.21 from the GT500 with the same driver.

At Grattan my 1LE showroom stock and 8 days old with about 700 miles of seat time turned a 1:31.47. MY PB now with a cold air intake, Pedders springs and CTS-V 6-pistons brakes on Hankook RS3 tires is 1:28.7. The GT350 ran 3 seconds faster than my PB. The GT350R will run 9 seconds faster than my stock time there......but I cant tell you what they ran

As reference: I held a track record in my NASA TTS class from 2007-2010 at Grattan

Matt
ThePill took a screen shot of your post and put it on Mustang6g.

If he comes back, I wonder if he will answer why the Camaro upper grille is such a problem but the GT350 grille isn't, even though it's mostly blocked off.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:36 PM   #68
Bhobbs

Drives: 2015 SS 1LE Red Hot, 1970 Chevelle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dropspeed View Post
Do you have a link as I am curious what the feedback will be. I love internet fanboys from both Ford and Chevy. They have a way of justifying anything to support "their brand" without a lick of data to back it.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/show...=7539&page=178

It's currently the last post in the topic.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:46 PM   #69
Dropspeed
2013 Camaro SS1LECTSVZ28

Drives: 2013 AGM 1SS/1LE
This is for THEPILL. Your Z/28 estimate is a tad slow....runs 3-4 seconds faster at Grattan. I believe FORD stated the GT350R is 1 second faster there than the Z/28.
Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #70
URBAN LEGEND

Drives: 20 X3M CP & 19 ZL1 1LE A10
I guess I'll be 90 and the Mustang vs Chevy debate will go on. I guess you could get both.