Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:49 AM   #29
kmdrum79

Drives: 2018 Audi SQ5
Well, considering all the accidents that we've seen on this site involving the new Camaro and the occupants not seriously injured (or injured at all), I'd say the car is pretty safe.
Old 08-29-2009, 09:53 AM   #30
68RS

Drives: '68 327 RS, 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally posted by ZEDDER
...Have had at least 40 of them during the past 31 years and hope to own many more...
Holy cow! I'm not sure I change my underwear this often. Are you a car dealer or a test driver?
Old 08-29-2009, 09:57 AM   #31
Iron Lung Jimmy

Drives: Iron Lung, Jimmy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zedder View Post
Thanks for the support guys! I love the car, but I live in a big city with lots of idiot drivers and I want to keep my kids (and me and the wife too) as safe as possible! I'm sure GM will address this, but would love to hear something from them whether it be official or unofficial insider info...
No problem with wanting to be safe.

Presumably you let neither your wife nor kids ride in the '70 Vette... that would get zero stars and if negative stars were possible it would get that.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:10 AM   #32
dursin

Drives: Suburban
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodimus prime View Post
So you just posted a couple of lies and thats all you can say?

Where did gm say it would earn 5 stars all around?

Please show me how 4th gens got 5 stars all around?

Where did you get 800lbs equals death in relation to the 2010 Camaro?

Im not mad. Im just calling you out on lies.
2002 Camaro gets 4 star front driver, 5 stars front passenger, 3 stars front driver side impact, 4 stars rear passenger side impact.

As for the statements on the 2010's getting a 5 star rating.

This article:
http://gmhightechperformance.automot...-ss/index.html
contains this quote:
"The up side is that "F-bodfather" Scott Settlemire assures us that the 2010 Camaro will meet the 5-Star Safety Rating"

And, in this thread from right here...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=116
...we have this quote
"'Id also point out that this car--and all others we're developing--MUST have a 5-star crash rating in all tests, bar none. Period. That means that the car has to be engineered properly to comprehend that, and that adds weight."

Now, how do you spin a statement then ends in "MUST have a 5-star crash rating in ALL test, bar none. PERIOD."
Old 08-29-2009, 10:32 AM   #33
cab2g
love. my. car.

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by dursin View Post
This article:
contains this quote:
"The up side is that "F-bodfather" Scott Settlemire assures us that the 2010 Camaro will meet the 5-Star Safety Rating"

...we have this quote
"'Id also point out that this car--and all others we're developing--MUST have a 5-star crash rating in all tests, bar none. Period. That means that the car has to be engineered properly to comprehend that, and that adds weight."

Now, how do you spin a statement then ends in "MUST have a 5-star crash rating in ALL test, bar none. PERIOD."
Well I guess that means that GM did not expect to see a 4 star rating. And that somebody is in deep shit for not doing their job. And that they're going to try to fix the problem as soon as possible.
Old 08-29-2009, 10:53 AM   #34
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by dursin View Post
2002 Camaro gets 4 star front driver, 5 stars front passenger, 3 stars front driver side impact, 4 stars rear passenger side impact.

As for the statements on the 2010's getting a 5 star rating.

This article:
contains this quote:

...we have this quote

We have always been told that the extra wieght of the Camaro was because of the new "crash test ratings" and "safety requirements". I'm sure Scott "Fbodfather" like everyone else at GM was surprised to see a 4 star ratings at all in the highly tested Camaro...

With that said, although it is disappointing the Camaro didn't get 5 stars all around, it is still safer than a Prius with a 5 star all around rating.. THose star ratings apply to vehicles of the same class. If they didn't, those smart cars would get a 1 star rating while the Camaro would get 3's and the HUmmer's would get 5 star ratings..

That Challenger going 100mph, crashing, and the cabin staying intact is impressive for a frontal crash test I have to say.. There was a Camaro crash involving a tree at high speeds with a forum member, however that person had serious injuries and did not walk away from the accident.. I own a Camaro and am more worried about the output shaft breaking than anything else and have still not received word from GM whether or not mine has a potential issue. I am less worried about a 4 star crash test rating however I do hope GM gets it up to 5 stars for next model year..
Old 08-29-2009, 11:00 AM   #35
rodimus prime
Account Suspended

Drives: Cargo van.
I had not seen those articles. I stand corrected.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:15 AM   #36
CamaroSkooter
Retarded One-Legged Owl

Drives: 2010 Black Camaro 2SS
I don't plan on wrecking my car. I still buy insurance, though.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #37
JesseJames

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
We have always been told that the extra wieght of the Camaro was because of the new "crash test ratings" and "safety requirements". I'm sure Scott "Fbodfather" like everyone else at GM was surprised to see a 4 star ratings at all in the highly tested Camaro...

With that said, although it is disappointing the Camaro didn't get 5 stars all around, it is still safer than a Prius with a 5 star all around rating.. THose star ratings apply to vehicles of the same class. If they didn't, those smart cars would get a 1 star rating while the Camaro would get 3's and the HUmmer's would get 5 star ratings..

That Challenger going 100mph, crashing, and the cabin staying intact is impressive for a frontal crash test I have to say.. There was a Camaro crash involving a tree at high speeds with a forum member, however that person had serious injuries and did not walk away from the accident.. I own a Camaro and am more worried about the output shaft breaking than anything else and have still not received word from GM whether or not mine has a potential issue. I am less worried about a 4 star crash test rating however I do hope GM gets it up to 5 stars for next model year..
There is a difference at hitting another car and hitting a tree at 100mph. Big difference. Hitting another car will transfer force and push the other car as it absorbs it. Hitting a tree... well... the force exerted on the tree is pushed back and reabsorbed into the car.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:16 AM   #38
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSkooter View Post
I don't plan on wrecking my car. I still buy insurance, though.
who plans on wrecking their car? you forget the thousands of other people driving on the road that might just smash into you?
Old 08-29-2009, 11:20 AM   #39
Zedder

Drives: 40 plus Camaros and counting!
Actually, both Vettes were just sold in the past 2 months so I could get something that all 4 of us could go out in. My wife was never in the '70 and was in the '03 once simply because she is not overly interested in them, my son once in each, and my daughter once in the '03. All trips with the kids were short and local. I would never take the kids on the highway in either of those cars - at least not when they are small like they are.

For those who have no problem with the 4 stars or no stars, good for you! I make my choices based on how I feel about a particular issue and no one else. My undergrad is in Engineering, so I understand the methodology and can interpret the results...and make my choices based on that understanding. But to be honest, this is more about an expectation I have for modern cars. The Camaro should have been engineered for 5 stars all around and that is what I expect from "that" car. I'm sure I'll own another Corvette and I am looking for another '67 Camaro right now...I have different expectations for those cars based on how I plan on using them (weekend, local use of maybe 3,000 miles per year). I've owned convertibles and Harleys so this isn't a paranoid reaction on my part. However, any car that I am going to use as a daily driver needs to be safe for ME and I can't have a DD that my kids can't ride in...don't really care what others want out of their cars In fact, my post didn't ask how others feel about the car's safety performance. I just want to know if GM has plans to improve this area of the car. If so, great, I'm buying a new Camaro. If not, no problem, I'll buy something else and get my Camaro fix in a '67

Last edited by Zedder; 08-29-2009 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-29-2009, 11:22 AM   #40
Cam10RS

Drives: Camaro 2LT RS
4 0r 5 stars

Well 4 stars is not too bad but 5 would be better, but it's better than driving a Smart car, have you seen that video? , at 35 mph hit it does a 4 star flip in the air and you can be buried in it.LOL
3100, Order available to sequence
3300, Order scheduled for production
3400, Order broadcast-- 09/14/09
3800, Order produced. VIN# 9/22/09
4000, Available to ship
4104, Bailment Invoice
4200, Shipped
4300, Intermediate Delivery
4B00, Bayed
5000, Delivered to the dealer. 9/27/09
6000, Delivered to the customer. 9/29/09
Old 08-29-2009, 11:32 AM   #41
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
I agree that it's disappointing, especially the safety justification for the weight and such, but, for now, it is what it is, and I can't complain. It would be nice to know exactly what happened though.

Good call Zedder.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 08-29-2009, 12:02 PM   #42
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz282003 View Post
I agree that it's disappointing, especially the safety justification for the weight and such, but, for now, it is what it is, and I can't complain. It would be nice to know exactly what happened though.

Good call Zedder.

they made the car too strong. we've seen the vids of the chally front collision test and the camaro front collision test and you can see how much the chally buckles up the front to absorb the impact. the camaro doesnt absorb nearly as much.... and thus, the driver does.

as stated before just because a car recieves a full 5 star rating doesnt mean that you are completely safe in it. like some of the previous examples.

take that 100mph chally and slam it into the side of a camaro. I seriously doubt that a 5 star rating would do diddly squat in that circumstance.

Dont get me wrong, I think the Camaro should be 5 stars all around, but I can live with it being lower. how many accidents have we ever seen that are directly head on, or directly halfway on the front of the car? very few if any.

now if a concrete slab falls off a semi and you plow into it at 40mph, thats one thing. but while crash ratings are nice to have to know that the car (and company) are advancing safety technology, there are some instances where it wont matter. jmo.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.

Closed Thread