Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Z/28 Forum - Z/28 Specific Topics

Old 03-15-2015, 03:51 PM   #1
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
A good weekend at Thunderhill...

Had a blast with CRT, a lot of other good folks, and the good weather at Thunderhill. We were running the 5-Mile circuit with Hooked On Driving.

Had my ups and had my downs. Dinged my front splitter in a brain-fade moment at the cross-over. I decided I shouldn't be on the track if I was going to let that mistake bother me; two offs now in 25 years is a pretty decent record.

Decided on an alternative strategy. Found a guy in a prepped M3 who was running a pace similar to mine, but who clearly knew the correct line. I followed him for a session or two, which really helped. This was my second time at T'hill so it's still new to me.

I then spent most of Saturday chasing a guy in his gorgeous new Z06/7, a.k.a. Superman. He's still getting up to speed, but could NOT believe I could keep up with him in my Z/28. On our last run he gapped me at the start -- I think the Trofeo Rs take longer to warm up than the Pilot Sport Cup 2s -- but then I started reeling him in.

My best lap was a 3:43.77 -- and this was during my last run of the weekend. Given that our fastest laps were typically before lunchtime, because of track temps, I felt great about that. My new goal is to break 3:40, and I think that's realistic. Time to get some coaching and make it happen!

Two observations:

1. The best thing you can do to your Camaro is to install the Brey-Krause harness bar and appropriate harnesses.

2. The second-best thing you can do is to install a proper racing shell. Now that I'm not flying around the car, under cornering and braking, I need to fix the headroom problem. Specifically, my head never moves as it's firmly jammed into the headliner. I'm so far back and up high that my sight-lines are terrible -- I need to be down as low as possible in the car. I'm working hard to find a shell that fits, and will install either a Sparco EVO II, Sparco ERGO, or Racetech seat. Racetech will make a custom shell for me for a $500 up-charge, which is a pretty great deal IMHO. None of the other makers (Recaro, Sparco, etc.) offer this service that I know of...

Last edited by brt3; 03-15-2015 at 09:40 PM.
brt3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:31 PM   #2
MARKSTI

Drives: 2015 z28 sold
I have a Egro and am having fitment problems with it..even with sparco sliders..to tall and sits a little to upright.

I will have to mount it in a fixed position for it to work

Maybe a Evo or Racetech would be better.
MARKSTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 12:47 PM   #3
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
great read!!! I would like to see some picts of the bk bar setup, how you did the subs, and how easy it is to remove if you have done that. thanks.
Old 03-16-2015, 12:51 PM   #4
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARKSTI View Post
I have a Egro and am having fitment problems with it..even with sparco sliders..to tall and sits a little to upright.

I will have to mount it in a fixed position for it to work

Maybe a Evo or Racetech would be better.
I have no desire to mount my seat using the sliders, as I need every possible mm to get the headroom I need. Are you 100% positive the Ergo will fit, and is your seat the Ergo Large (there are three sizes)?

If you bought the Large then I should be good; I have the HD Aluminum side-mount seat rails to use for the mounting. The height of the Ergo L is just over 40-inches; this is over 4-inches taller than the EVO II. That, along with the width at the top of the seat, make it a tough install in our cars...
Old 03-16-2015, 12:58 PM   #5
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
great read!!! I would like to see some picts of the bk bar setup, how you did the subs, and how easy it is to remove if you have done that. thanks.
No subs yet; I have those but will wait to install them when the racing seats go in. I'm using the Schroth Profi II with ASM; though this doesn't eliminate the need for the sub straps, these are supposed to do a good job, in 4-point configuration, of holding you in and minimizing submarining.

I have attached the installation instructions for the B-K bar; hope this helps!
Attached Images
File Type: pdf r-1150.pdf (202.9 KB, 131 views)
Old 03-17-2015, 03:24 AM   #6
brahmabull

Drives: 2015 Ashen Gray Metallic Z/28
Question for you since you tracked this car. I've tracked my E46 M3 that I used to have, and my C6 ZO6, that I used to have..lol..did you have to replace your brake lines for some braided steel ones? I did it on my previous cars, and I know they said the Z/28 is good out of the box, but im asking you since you were there on the track, how did the brakes feel throughout your session. Were they fading or were they good till the last hard drop. If you did replace them, which brand is best for our track monster?

2014 Merz Benz E350(sold)
2010 Ford Raptor(sold)
2009 Chev C6 ZO6(sold)-beast
2006 BMW E46 M3(sold)
2000 Honda S2000(sold)
brahmabull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:43 AM   #7
brt3
Runs with scissors...

The brakes on this car are killer, and I've changed nothing. You shouldn't go to braided SS lines unless you want to replace the lines every two years. I'm no expert, but I was told by a race shop to keep the standard lines, as you can more easily target a problem if there's any cracking or issues with the lines...
Old 03-17-2015, 12:09 PM   #8
brt3
Runs with scissors...

A grab of the B-K site showing the harness bar; the reason I like this bar is that B-K makes the highest quality and best-engineered products on the market. This thing installs perfectly with no cutting or trimming required. Simple, beautifully made, and very strong:
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2015, 12:15 PM   #9
backtotintops

Drives: 14 Z/28 0#
I have nippers that go in the back seats so this is appealing to me if it comes in and out easily. According to the pdf you leave the brackets on the backseats in. Are they flush or would they push against a nipper under normal driving? I would be interested in your observations and still send a pic when you can.

thanks
Old 03-17-2015, 12:34 PM   #10
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by backtotintops View Post
I have nippers that go in the back seats so this is appealing to me if it comes in and out easily. According to the pdf you leave the brackets on the backseats in. Are they flush or would they push against a nipper under normal driving? I would be interested in your observations and still send a pic when you can.

thanks
I never need to remove the harness bar, but am happy to take more photos if it helps. However, I'm not sure I can do better than the shots on the B-K site and install instructions given that it's a black bar and black interior -- is there something specific you're looking for? I'm pretty sure that after the bar is removed, the remaining brackets won't be an issue for your kidlets. Also, I found the B-K folks really responsive to questions, so you may want to phone them if I can't answer your questions...
Old 03-17-2015, 10:01 PM   #11
Frankdt

Drives: VetteZ & Z28
Hey, sounds like you are really enjoying the Z!! Few questions:

What tires are you running at the track?
Are you driving the car to the track as well?
That oil temps are you seeing?

Thanks
Frank Red Z28
Frankdt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 10:27 PM   #12
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frankdt View Post
Hey, sounds like you are really enjoying the Z!! Few questions:

That oil temps are you seeing?
Hi Frank -- I love my Z/28 and the only thing I'd change is the weight. Even with that it's a fantastic track-day car.

Pirelli Trofeo R OEM tires. I have 8 track days on this set and expect to get at least 10, maybe 12 total, before needing to change them out.

Yes; it's a 2-hour drive from my house to Thunderhill

What oil temps are you seeing?
During this event the highest temp I saw was 260 degrees. The ambient temps peaked at 75 to 79 degrees.
Old 03-18-2015, 06:55 PM   #13
Z28-TX

Drives: 2015 Z-28 / '13 Howe TA2 Camaro
Ergo Size

Quote:
Originally Posted by brt3 View Post
I have no desire to mount my seat using the sliders, as I need every possible mm to get the headroom I need. Are you 100% positive the Ergo will fit, and is your seat the Ergo Large (there are three sizes)?

If you bought the Large then I should be good; I have the HD Aluminum side-mount seat rails to use for the mounting. The height of the Ergo L is just over 40-inches; this is over 4-inches taller than the EVO II. That, along with the width at the top of the seat, make it a tough install in our cars...
Would also like to know what size Ergo you're running.

THX
Z28-TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 07:20 PM   #14
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z28-TX View Post
Would also like to know what size Ergo you're running.

THX
UPDATE: I found an Ergo/Large at a local shop. They sold it to me on the provision that I can return it for a refund if it doesn't fit in the car. More to come...

BTW, I'm 6'7" and 235 pounds, with slightly more length in my torso. The ERGO-L fits me like it was made for me, so I'm really hoping it squeezed into the Z/28. It is a MUCH better fit than the EVO II; I could fit in the EVO II but it was a little too short and a touch too tight in spots.