Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Road Course/Track and Autocross

Old 02-13-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Best racing seats for people 6'2 and taller

Question for all those who upgraded their seats who are 6'2 and taller.

Any recommendations for seat for us tall guys? The stock seats suck and short of spending the wad of cash it takes to get the Recaros what are some good options to look into? With my stock seats and helmet, the top of my helmet is rubbing the ceiling and I know if I upgrade my seats they have to sit the same height or be lower for it to work.

Any ideas?!?!?
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:19 AM   #2
Lonewolf583
Apex Predator

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6 Rally Yellow
I'm only 5'10" but I'm torso tall. I did a bottom mounted fixed back Corbeau Forza seat and with my sunroof could not fit my helmet. Removed the slider and even then it was still pretty tight.

I'd recommend a side mount so you can recline it a little bit. I'd be open to eliminating your sliders as this saves about an inch or more.

I'd look to Sparco, Cobra, and Kirkey. Since you've already mentioned the OE Recaro option there are plenty of others out there with reclining sport seats. Any major manufacturer will have a competitively priced option.

I'd probably find a local speed shop with the seat you want. Try them out before you pull the trigger.

Beating physics into submission since 1991.

Last edited by Lonewolf583; 02-14-2017 at 07:42 AM. Reason: !
Lonewolf583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 08:30 AM   #3
Burt
Cone Killer

Drives: 2012 SS
I can only speak for my particular body type, but I'm 6'3", skinny, with wide shoulders, and the Sparco Evo IIs fit me pretty well. I've ridden in an M3 and driven a Miata that had them, and I liked them. Like lonewolf said, I think a fixed side mount would be the way to go.

Selling off my remaining wheels, tires, 27mm front sway bar, and MGW shift knob. Get them out of my house before my wife puts me out!
Burt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:33 AM   #4
brt3
Runs with scissors...

Drives: '14 Z/28s SIM/SW
The Sparco Ergo, in Large, is the best seat I've ever found. I'm 6'7" tall, and this seat is amazing. Not too wide, and I actually had to raise it about 1.25" (off the floor) to get the best sight lines. It also has removable side-head restraints, so you can use them at the track and remove them for the street. I posted photos on the Z/28 section, so you should be able to find more details by searching that part of the forum...
Old 02-15-2017, 08:53 AM   #5
dantemcc

Drives: 2017 1SS 1LE
Thank you gentlemen for your help and insight.
dantemcc is offline   Reply With Quote