Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 12-30-2018, 07:34 PM   #1
Bige7171

Drives: 2011
Putting SS calipers and Rotors on a V6

I recently purchased a 2011 Camaro V6. The car has 20’s on them. The previous owner was going to put SS calipers an rotors on them but never did. First question is, Is this possible? Will it screw up my ABS? I have the rotors an calipers he gave me with the car. Looks like the rotors on the front will fit but the rear backing plates appear to be smaller. Do I just buy SS backing plates an bolt them on? Any help is greatly appreciated
Bige7171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:39 PM   #2
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Find someone who wants to do a V6 swap on their V8 and just trade the parts.
Need V6 brakes on the rear to fit 15" wheels.
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 07:53 PM   #3
Bige7171

I have 4 SS rotors an 4 SS calipers an 20 inch rims. So the 20’s should allow the SS rotors and calipers. I want to take the stock V6 ones off an put the SS one I have laying on the garage floor. I guess I don’t wanna start this project an something pops up an prevents me from completing it.

Last edited by Bige7171; 12-30-2018 at 08:35 PM.
Old 12-30-2018, 08:55 PM   #4
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bige7171 View Post
I recently purchased a 2011 Camaro V6. The car has 20’s on them. The previous owner was going to put SS calipers an rotors on them but never did. First question is, Is this possible? Will it screw up my ABS? I have the rotors an calipers he gave me with the car. Looks like the rotors on the front will fit but the rear backing plates appear to be smaller. Do I just buy SS backing plates an bolt them on? Any help is greatly appreciated
Welcome to the Forum, a bit of advise before you jump into the conversion. Spend some using the search tool for "Brembo Conversion". There is everything you will even need to know and "SHOULD" know before you start and make some drastic mistakes. 20" wheels is what you need, no problem there. You need the SS brake lines, you need new crush washers, you should purchase new caliper mounting bolts front and rear because these are "torque to yield bolts", to get the full and proper results I (as recommended) changed the master cylinder). Majority of the members here will help you out but beware when someone says, "oh you don't need that"? If the factory recommends it then do it. I changed the rear backing plates, everyone told me it was a waste of time and I should just cut the lip of the existing 6 cylinder ones and call it a day. I am the type if I am going to do the job then I do it to the letter and don't have problems after. It was not difficult to do.

I was able to attach the install directions from GM for this conversion. I would recommend you read it over at least twice, make notes and start collecting parts. Make sure you have all the needed tools/torque wrenches before you start also.

If my memory serves me correctly, some of the tools I used for my complete conversion ( I had also sent my calipers out to be "REBUILT & POWDER COATED), 1/2" breaker bar, 1/2" ratchet, 3" & 5" extensions, 10,14,16,18,22 &36MM sockets, T30 Torx, torque wrenches both inch and foot pounds. If you do the conversion completely and correctly you will need a 1/2" torque wrench that goes to 200 foot pounds has the rear axle nuts are 199 foot pounds.

I was fortunate that I have use of the Marine Corps hobby shop aboard MCAS Cherry Point, NC. There we have about 10 lifts, made life so simple.

Below the picture of my 2014 you can click on the link that I added for complete directions. If you need further help or advise send me a PM and I be glad to help you out. You might consider printing of the below directions and start from there, I believe this will answer most of your questions.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf Brembo brake install directions GM.pdf (2.36 MB, 221 views)

Last edited by Deputy347k9; 12-30-2018 at 09:15 PM.
Deputy347k9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 09:14 PM   #5
Deputy347k9

Drives: 2014 Ashen Gray Convertible
Before you ask, my calipers were professionally rebuilt and powder coated by TPH Coatings, address is 540 Business Park Circle, Stoughton, WI 53589, you can telephone 608-516-5138 and ask for KEVIN.

Remember if the job is worth doing then do it right! There are no shortcuts to excellence.
Old 12-30-2018, 09:17 PM   #6
Bige7171

Thank you very much! I totally appreciate the information. Love the color on the calipers
Old 12-30-2018, 09:21 PM   #7
Vegas Bound
Account Suspended

Drives: 2013 Sparkly Red One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post
Welcome to the Forum, a bit of advise before you jump into the conversion. Spend some using the search tool for "Brembo Conversion". There is everything you will even need to know and "SHOULD" know before you start and make some drastic mistakes. 20" wheels is what you need, no problem there. You need the SS brake lines, you need new crush washers, you should purchase new caliper mounting bolts front and rear because these are "torque to yield bolts", to get the full and proper results I (as recommended) changed the master cylinder). Majority of the members here will help you out but beware when someone says, "oh you don't need that"? If the factory recommends it then do it. I changed the rear backing plates, everyone told me it was a waste of time and I should just cut the lip of the existing 6 cylinder ones and call it a day. I am the type if I am going to do the job then I do it to the letter and don't have problems after. It was not difficult to do.

I was able to attach the install directions from GM for this conversion. I would recommend you read it over at least twice, make notes and start collecting parts. Make sure you have all the needed tools/torque wrenches before you start also.

If my memory serves me correctly, some of the tools I used for my complete conversion ( I had also sent my calipers out to be "REBUILT & POWDER COATED), 1/2" breaker bar, 1/2" ratchet, 3" & 5" extensions, 10,14,16,18,22 &36MM sockets, T30 Torx, torque wrenches both inch and foot pounds. If you do the conversion completely and correctly you will need a 1/2" torque wrench that goes to 200 foot pounds has the rear axle nuts are 199 foot pounds.

I was fortunate that I have use of the Marine Corps hobby shop aboard MCAS Cherry Point, NC. There we have about 10 lifts, made life so simple.

Below the picture of my 2014 you can click on the link that I added for complete directions. If you need further help or advise send me a PM and I be glad to help you out. You might consider printing of the below directions and start from there, I believe this will answer most of your questions.

Good job!
Vegas Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 11:26 AM   #8
12blkgrayRS

Drives: 2012 Camaro RS 2LT 6spd man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deputy347k9 View Post

+1 I have performed this on several occasions with the last 2 Camaros for track use.
12blkgrayRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
Jinkx

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Figured would help out the next guy, tripped across this post from Deputy:
Brembo conversion parts for 2010-2015 V6, GM part numbers:

Part Part Number

Camaro SS Master Cylinder 22956541
Crush gaskets hose assembly 21012386
Bolt front caliper (4) 11570788 (Torque to yield, 30 ft pds plus 90 degrees)
Bolt rear caliper (4) 11515781 (Torque to yield, 30 ft pds plus 90 degrees)
Rear axle nuts (2) 11611687 (Torque to yield nuts, 199 foot pounds)
Brake line bolts (banjo) 11569590
Brembo bleeder valves/cover 25900782
Rear right brake shield 23131778 Can find used on eBay, much cheaper
Rear left brake shield 23131777 Can find used on eBay, much cheaper
Hose assembly rear brake (2)
Hose assembly front right brake 92229712
Hose assembly front left brake 92229713
Pad kit, rear disc brake 89047744
Pad kit, front disc brake 22907156
Pin kit, front disc brake 89047711
Brembo caliper right rear (P) 92233176
Brembo caliper left rear (D) 92233177
Brembo caliper right front (P) 92244288
Brembo caliper left front (D) 92244287
Rotors front Brembo brakes 92245928
Rotors rear Brembo brakes 92245929

Gen 5 SS brake upgrade for V6 models with Brembo front and rear brake components from the SS. Front rotors are 14" diameter, compared to the 12.6" V6 rotors. Wheel the rear rotors are 14.4" compared to the 12.4" V6.
Jinkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2021, 09:30 PM   #10
olblue75

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Was gonna post but Deputy has you covered on the swap. But Screaming Chicken has non torque to yield bolts.
1LE Front sway bar, Splitter, shocks and struts, Z28 dual mode mufflers, Intake, UCA Bushings, and Toresen 3.91 Diff. 1 piece DSS Drive Shaft, ZL1/C7 Calipers, and 32mm JPSS Rear Bar. ASC race spec splitter and wicker. 6th Gen M017 Wheels. Stainless Works 1 7/8 LTs. DSE and PAFDT Suspension components.
olblue75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 03:56 PM   #11
Jinkx

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS
Just wanted to give a shout out to this forum, just got done with a v6 Brembo conversion.

The info found in this forum was awesome.

I was able to perform a proper, no hack job, Brembo conversion with Goodridge steel lines, Z26 pads, 3M #08945 brake lube, Screaming Chicken non-TTY bolts, new master cylinder, proper rear v8 dust shields, etc.

I will say the SS master cylinder in comparison with the v6 did not appear visually to be any different, but the orig had 130K miles on it so figured it was time to replace anyways. I opted to stick with DOT3 fluid for reduced bleeding maintenance.

As an alternative to purchasing all new parts, I scored a set of Brembos from a 5th gen wrecked SS off ebay from seller "samsriverside". The calipers were a little faded looking, but other wise in good working order.

So I sanded the calipers down down, masked and prepped, then sprayed them with G2 paint. Used a cheapo air sprayer (compressed air gravity car paint style) from harbor freight. Just couldn't bring myself to brush on. Spraying them went very well and used every drop of paint. G2 doesn't give you much extra if any at all. Hard to believe people brush on the paint while the calipers are still on the car. Very pleased with the end result. Painting is all about prep work, the better your prep, the better the end result.

Spent $800 shipped for fresh turned SS rotors, Brembo calipers, dust shields, e-brake assemblies, etc.

I found that drilling one small 5/16 hole in-between the wheel studs on the rear hub plate and using a bolt/nut pull method made pulling the rear wheel hubs quite a pleasant experience. The alternative is sacrificing a wheel stud and doing the same bolt/nut pull method, or using an air chisel, and/or saying some prayers with a hammer to be less than desirable alternatives.

Overall, was a very fun project. Patience required . Take your time, do your homework, read info found in this forum, and you will have a great end result!

Thanks again!
Jinkx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2021, 06:05 PM   #12
MaroMark

Drives: 2011 camaro
Hello guys. Nice being a New member here and reading all of the post. I was interested in doing the same upgrade to my v6 2011 Camaro. Where can I buy all of this at a fair price? I was trying to deal with a couple of sellers on Ebay but they want all the money for used Brembo Calipers (That need rebuilding). So I might as well buy New! Any help would be great.

Thanki you all for any help.

MaroMark
MaroMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2021, 06:13 AM   #13
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaroMark View Post
Hello guys. Nice being a New member here and reading all of the post. I was interested in doing the same upgrade to my v6 2011 Camaro. Where can I buy all of this at a fair price? I was trying to deal with a couple of sellers on Ebay but they want all the money for used Brembo Calipers (That need rebuilding). So I might as well buy New! Any help would be great.

Thanki you all for any help.

MaroMark
Autozone seems to have good prices on brakes
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2024, 12:22 PM   #14
4200SS

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
What is the weight difference between the V6 and the SS brakes? I have an SS that is lightened with front skinnies. I don't want to slide the tire at speed.
4200SS is offline   Reply With Quote