Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 01-15-2019, 05:17 PM   #15
gringo
Account Suspended

Drives: Camaro V6
You should never lubricate bolts that need to be torqued to a specific value. In fact, I don't think you should lubricate any bolts period if you want them to hold tight.

Makes me wonder how many shops actually replace these one time use bolts when they perform an alignment on a Camaro. I can see the dealer doing it, but the local discount tire or Costco or Walmart? Hmmmm.......
gringo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 06:41 AM   #16
Chester

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by gringo View Post
You should never lubricate bolts that need to be torqued to a specific value. In fact, I don't think you should lubricate any bolts period if you want them to hold tight.

Makes me wonder how many shops actually replace these one time use bolts when they perform an alignment on a Camaro. I can see the dealer doing it, but the local discount tire or Costco or Walmart? Hmmmm.......
After reading the post by TheScreenSaver on the Camaro 6, titled(alignment bolts and you) who contacted GM, there not all one time use, some, like front strut bolts are torque and angle and can be reused.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #17
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
After reading the post by TheScreenSaver on the Camaro 6, titled(alignment bolts and you) who contacted GM, there not all one time use, some, like front strut bolts are torque and angle and can be reused.
I agree. I checked the shop manual and the strut bolts can be re-used.

I recommend reading the shop manual whenever undertaking safety-critical work on your car, or even before turning your car over to mechanics who don't have access to it.

In fact, I have lent my shop manuals to independent garages before they worked on my cars.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 07:40 AM   #18
Chester

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
I kind of cringe when I think of back in my teenage days working on my 55 chevy without a torque wrench.
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 09:40 AM   #19
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chester View Post
I kind of cringe when I think of back in my teenage days working on my 55 chevy without a torque wrench.
My dad bought me a torque wrench when I was 17.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote