Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-21-2009, 08:56 PM   #183
carls241

Drives: 2010 Camaro
If it is to compensate for a true harmonic imbalance, a new set of pads will not do the trick, that would have been an easy fix. Harmonic frequencies can actually cause calipers to crack. I have seen this on the brakes my company designs and produces (Bendix). It is more likely to compensate for a weight distribution vibration, that will require a new caliper design. This was probably detected by Fbodfather and the rest of the crew on the test units. They will need to chime in.
carls241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:57 PM   #184
Never2LowChevy
Banned

Drives: bagged 4 door dually on 22s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
You thought absolutely right. Scott did say that, and he meant it:
The Camaro will be one of the highest-quality vehicles that General Motors has put out in recent history.

Mine was simply a guess. And on top of that, you're making a lot of assumptions, like this being worthy of a recall. For the sake of preventing another wild "sky is falling" thread...please just wait for the official word -- I'm sure it's coming soon.
Should have said that on page 1! LoL I'm not making any assumptions. I could care less if its a recall(thats what they would call it if GM came out with a "temp fix" and offered to bring it in to remedy it), "easy fix", or what ever else ya wanna call it. I will just take them off and fix it myself IF it causes any squeaks or anything IF I can, or bring it in under warrenty. But I agree, lets all wait to post untill an "official" answer is out there.
Never2LowChevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 08:59 PM   #185
SNOOK

Drives: 1967 Camaro, 2010 Camaro SS
Whatever they do....I don't care anymore .... this car, rather it was released with a "quick fix " or not, is extremely wonderful to have, finally. Enjoy it, the ride, the power, the looks, and at least for now, the envy of others that look on as you pass by. To me it IS everything that they promised and more. I hope we do not lose the passion that this site created for the car and the wonderful crap that we give each other about whatever. If I have to stick some wheel weights on every so often, OK, I won't complain. It beats setting the valves and points and plugs and everything else on the older (but dear to my heart) Camaro. This thing is fun, wheel weights and all. Ok , I'll shut up now.
SNOOK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:05 PM   #186
kanys

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOK View Post
Whatever they do....I don't care anymore .... this car, rather it was released with a "quick fix " or not, is extremely wonderful to have, finally. Enjoy it, the ride, the power, the looks, and at least for now, the envy of others that look on as you pass by. To me it IS everything that they promised and more. I hope we do not lose the passion that this site created for the car and the wonderful crap that we give each other about whatever. If I have to stick some wheel weights on every so often, OK, I won't complain. It beats setting the valves and points and plugs and everything else on the older (but dear to my heart) Camaro. This thing is fun, wheel weights and all. Ok , I'll shut up now.
Well said. Its not like this is a major problem or anything. True it is kinda a "last second fix", but in the end does it really matter? We still are getting our Camaros!
kanys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:08 PM   #187
Pushing_Tin

Drives: 2007 Honda Accord V6 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanys View Post
Well said. Its not like this is a major problem or anything. True it is kinda a "last second fix", but in the end does it really matter? We still are getting our Camaros!
Let's be honest now, if this "fix" was on the new Mustang or Nissan Z do you think most of you would be so forgiving? I don't think so.
Pushing_Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:10 PM   #188
SNOOK

You betcha, I'll enjoy this as long as it lasts. Looking forward to a weekend in the 70's no rain and a lot of miles to drive, weights and all. Can't wait to see the painted stripes, painter laid them out today. Oh yea.....
Old 04-21-2009, 09:11 PM   #189
richardhoggard
VIN 2G1FJ1EJXA9102937

Drives: Everyone knows what I drive!
Seriously guys... You are going crazy about NOTHING! You only even notice that they are there if you are looking for them. Remember last night when I said I didnt have them? It's because I couldnt see them. I personally don't know what they are for, but I don't really care either. Maybe I will if they become a problem, but until then, I know that the people that put them there know much much more about this car than I do and I trust their knowledge.

When your men get home and face an anti-war protestor, tell them to look in his eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she is dating a wuss. - General Tommy Franks

richardhoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:12 PM   #190
SNOOK

Trust me, if it was on a new Mustang i'd be fine... Import, maybe not..but if i waited this long for any car that I wanted and it was 99% great, the heck with the 1%.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:15 PM   #191
TLSTWIN
Romans10:9-13

Drives: /\yes, this is me/\
Quote:
Originally Posted by Douge View Post
The worst thing that will happen is that your brakes will squeak. If they did, I would be inclined to try some anti squealing paste on the back of the pad or a different pad all together rather than taking what IMO is the easiest and worst fix in adding unsprung weight that effects the suspension and creates an added piece of metal to retain heat in the braking system not to mention the countless posts that correctly surmise that eventually the hear cycles will result in the wieghts separating from the caliper, likely at speed.
IF, and let me stress IF, it is on there for a "squeak", it isn't one that could be solved with anti-seize. The weight would be for a resonating sound, created by a moving part...kinda like a tuning fork. The sound, vibration, whatever, would stem from the actual caliper moving, not the any screw or brake pad.

I really don't care if it is on there for that reason or not.....That would just tell me that GM DID pay attention to a very minuet detail.....thankyou for the attention to detail...NOW GIVE ME MY CAR
Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #192
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
I asked earlier in the thread to please keep it on topic. So please save the colorful 'sky is falling' commentary and move on to the next thread if you have nothing of substance to add. Thank you.
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:20 PM   #193
FirstLSK
Dude, I love my car !!!!

Drives: 2010 Black 2SS/RS white rally
Don't get me wrong guys, your cars are awesome and I would give my left..... uhh... leg..... to have my Camaro like you do (weights and all).

I am just a little upset because we don't have an answer.

BTW SNOOK -- THANK YOU VERY MUCH for pointing this out. Based on your remarks, I have a gut feeling that you have some regrets about making the original post. Please don't feel that way. GM knew that we were going to be the FINALY QA. If they had any doubts, they shouldn't now. You are doing your part wonderfully.

Thanks again. Just take all complaints with a grain of salt. We just want this car to be perfect.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:21 PM   #194
SNOOK

If you can come on up to Plymouth and go for a ride. It will put aside all your concerns.Those who now have must share with those you don't its only fair. Well that sound good didn't it. Seriously, once driven this is unlike any other Camaro I have ever had the pleasure of owning.
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #195
delius
David Hayter

Drives: F-body
well...I am sure that this is going to be an early build car thing only....I would think that GM is going to have to problem resolved by the middle of the year. This is the FIRST year that this car is being developed. There are gonna be some kinks....If all that GM had to skim by on was the way the brakes sound...I am damn well impressed...seeing how the economy sucks and everything else.

DAMMET I CANT TAKE THE WAIT!!!!

Hoping for September...Robbing Oshawa by November

I want my camaro....NOOOOOOOOOOW!!! /turn yellow
delius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #196
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Seems many members in the know(at least in my eyes) have not even posted in this thread. Come on!!!!!!!!!! Somebody has got to know something.

BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote