Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 05-01-2012, 08:18 AM   #1
Fragnarok
Gavin

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS Inferno Orange
Clean underhood panel?

Is there a good way to get this off or keep under here a bit more clean?
Old 05-01-2012, 08:26 AM   #2
Indy Bumble Bee

Drives: Beest
Indy Bumble Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 08:33 AM   #3
nytrorcr

Drives: I.P.C. 2SS vert, 21 wheels
Looks like salt, take it off and soak it untill it washs out..........
Old 05-01-2012, 08:36 AM   #4
Stex

Drives: 67 goat, 69 goat ram air III
Not sure on this either...it is dust and oil on fiber...maybe a vac and spot clean with Adams carpet cleaner...here is a thread from Adams forum but no real answer...tire foam? Dylan covered this but I can not find it..some just remove it and some say washing but maybe speeds up the decay of the pad???

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/wh...ing/6796-2.htm

And if you are really mad at it:

http://www.adamsforums.com/forums/wh...ling/15986.htm
Stex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:35 AM   #5
Fragnarok
Gavin

I'll try that, thanks.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:41 AM   #6
Stex

Dylan, anyone from Adams? Any suggestions?

Old 05-01-2012, 11:43 AM   #7
Fragnarok
Gavin

Or anyone know where to get a hood liner with an IOM bowtie or SS?
Old 05-01-2012, 11:47 AM   #8
Out4it
Banned

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS
Mine was not as dirty and heres what I did. First I foam gunned the entire engine compartment,and then that pad and everything surrounding it. Let it sit for about 10 minutes. Then,with my nozzle(changed from foam gun) to a high pressure stream. Slowly front left to right blasted all the grime off. You have to go back and forth before moving down. You'll see the gunk coming off. After I was finished I left the hood opened till it dried in the sun. Came out looking like new! Took a while to dry though. Trick is to rinse it slowly to make sure you are getting it all. If you leave spots missed you'll probably see them. Then I changed the spray pattern to a nice mist and rinsed the rest of the engine bay. Hope that helps.

Last edited by Out4it; 05-01-2012 at 12:30 PM.
Out4it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
Stex

Yes the first link above covered such. Some said soaking was deteriorating the pad. Only time will tell on that and should not be costly to replace.
Old 05-01-2012, 12:36 PM   #10
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stex View Post
Dylan, anyone from Adams? Any suggestions?

The hood liner/insulation deteriorates pretty quickly if you scrub or clean aggressively so its one of those "perform at your own risk" deals.

Soak the liner with a light mist from the hose, gently scrub with a soft brush and something like our APC, rinse with a mist from the hose. Close the hood, start the engine and allow it to idle, the engine heat will help dry most of the water out.

The other option is to just spot clean with a carpet cleaner and a microfiber towel.

I generally remove them all together and have the underside painted nice so I can polish and wax it, but I'm crazy like that. Aside from increased engine noise (which isn't a bad thin IMO) I haven't ever noticed a problem from it, but I have no input as to what might be the drawbacks of doing this... I've never had any problems.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Zman12

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@Adams View Post
The hood liner/insulation deteriorates pretty quickly if you scrub or clean aggressively so its one of those "perform at your own risk" deals.

Soak the liner with a light mist from the hose, gently scrub with a soft brush and something like our APC, rinse with a mist from the hose. Close the hood, start the engine and allow it to idle, the engine heat will help dry most of the water out.

The other option is to just spot clean with a carpet cleaner and a microfiber towel.

I generally remove them all together and have the underside painted nice so I can polish and wax it, but I'm crazy like that. Aside from increased engine noise (which isn't a bad thin IMO) I haven't ever noticed a problem from it, but I have no input as to what might be the drawbacks of doing this... I've never had any problems.
I removed my hood blanket, because it was slightly rubbing on my polished whipple and leave a black mark on it. I couldn't have that so I took it of. I actually just stopped by a paint shop last night to ask how much to have it painted he said about $150.

I may try my hand at rattle can black and clear and do myself. Since all my money went to Adams polishes for the next few months!
Old 05-01-2012, 03:29 PM   #12
Adam's Polishes

Drives: The shiny ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zman12 View Post

I may try my hand at rattle can black and clear and do myself. Since all my money went to Adams polishes for the next few months!
A friend of mine just did this... gloss black car, so he sprayed the inside of the hood with a rattle can flat black. It looks nice... he didn't want to have to maintain a gloss paint in there, so the matte just has the same effect as the hood liner did, but without the annoying cleaning part. Just an occasional wipe down.

Flat is so much more forgiving than gloss when it comes to rattle can it was a good choice IMO.
Adam's Polishes is offline   Reply With Quote