Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-21-2009, 11:49 AM   #127
Suskam

Drives: '11 Camaro/ '02 Grand Prix
I'm sure GM is aware of what they have done, and that people would notice - so it will probably be a free dealer fix after delivery. Don't panic.
Old 04-21-2009, 12:04 PM   #128
richardhoggard
VIN 2G1FJ1EJXA9102937

Drives: Everyone knows what I drive!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SNOOK View Post
First: CONGRATS on being the first and THANK YOU for your service to our country. Just how many weights are on yours. I have two layers with about 8 each.
Thanks... mine look exactly like yours do. Two layers... I would guess about 8 "weights" each

When your men get home and face an anti-war protestor, tell them to look in his eyes and shake his hand. Then, wink at his girlfriend, because she knows she is dating a wuss. - General Tommy Franks

richardhoggard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #129
Xmicro_SS
Thank You GM

Drives: Sky Redline & Camaro 2SS/RS
Someone made the call to put them on there to fix something that was off somewhere. The funny part is they probably said, "ahhhh, they will never even notice it!"
Old 04-21-2009, 01:19 PM   #130
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Originally Posted by camkid54 View Post
Gentlemen As far as the brake weights go I heard from a fellow in the GM plant, the brakes were squeeling and by weighting the calipers the squeel went away Brembo has, since then sent a new batch of calipers to correct this problem Hope this helps
Correct^^
the brakes where squeeling and gm's band-aid is to weigh the caliper up top... that is the answer... i can already see a recall when the double stick tape starts falling off and everyones brakes are squeeling, they should have addressed this a long time ago...
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:26 PM   #131
franknbeans
Whipped

Drives: 2010 CAMARO
(friend)"Hey, are those Brembos?"

...... "why yes they are. They come standard on the SS."

(friend)......."what the heck is that?"

... Oh, those are slabs of lead attached to the beautiful Brembo Caliper to stop brake squealing."

(friend)....."hahahahha"
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #132
fdjizm
Account Suspended

they could have gotten creative and used these for weight instead of wheel leads lol

Old 04-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #133
ClaymoreZ28

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM Camaro
Putting them on there to dampen down resonance and kill "squeals" makes sense in theory at least

Fundamental thing here is that, per previous posts - if GM had alerted dealers/clients that they had decided to ship with workaround and will be following up with permanent fix then most sensible folks would understand that - but this is a very clunky looking fix and has been spotted by customers before any communications have been made.

Funny thing is that braking systems are normally last thing you would think of looking at but the Brembos are actually an identifiable differentiator for a sports car - so seeing a premium feature with this kind of work around just feels wrong going on this kind of car to this kind of customer base.
ClaymoreZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:46 PM   #134
cam2fst4u

Drives: 08 SS trailblazer,08 Silverado
Send a message via Yahoo to cam2fst4u
calling Mr Fbodfather....
cam2fst4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:50 PM   #135
blaSSt

Drives: 98 SS, 15 COPO, 09 ZR1
From Brembo:

Quote:
This year it’s the 420-hp, V8-powered Camaro SS that Motor Trend magazine calls “the most anticipated American musclecar in decades” that is equipped with four-piston, two-piece aluminum calipers and 14.0-in. (355mm) and 14.4-in. (365mm) rotors front and rear respectively. The two-piece aluminum front calipers are designed to weigh 32% less than the ones on the V6 and yet provide increased stiffness to reduce fluid displacement and caliper deformation. The overall effect enhances vehicle efficiency and dynamics.
Source: http://www.brembo.com

Adding the weights kinda defeats the purpose of the Brembo design. huh.
Old 04-21-2009, 01:54 PM   #136
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
Maybe they shaved off too much weight lol.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:58 PM   #137
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
Correct^^
the brakes where squeeling and gm's band-aid is to weigh the caliper up top... that is the answer... i can already see a recall when the double stick tape starts falling off and everyones brakes are squeeling, they should have addressed this a long time ago...
yeah it will be real bad if one falls off and some odd thing like it getting stuck in the caliper and your break locks up or doesn't work. lets just hope nothing like this can happen
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:59 PM   #138
CamaroSpike23
Truth Enforcer

Drives: anything I can get my hands on
Send a message via Yahoo to CamaroSpike23
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muscle Master View Post
So where is spike when you need him ....
sitting back and laughing at this thread and waiting to see what kind of cockamaney ideas we could come up with...

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
Maybe they shaved off too much weight lol.
that seems to be the case.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showpo...5&postcount=92

a small amount of extra weight is needed to keep the brakes quiet. but from the looks of things, these weighted brakes should be replaced by GM.
Originally Posted by BowtieGuy View Post
Nobody makes CamaroSpike happy. You just disgust him a little less than other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheelmanSS View Post
Post count is truly an accurate measure of how cool someone is on the Internet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Norris View Post
I piss excellence
and fart awesomeness
"You can think I'm wrong, but that's no reason to quit thinking.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overflow View Post
But not all people were born awesome like you, Spike.
CamaroSpike23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:06 PM   #139
omarrakeen
Camaro Freak

Drives: 1998 Z28,1996 RS, 2005 Altima
Send a message via MSN to omarrakeen Send a message via Yahoo to omarrakeen
wahhah i jst read the whole 6 pages that was the funniest thing ever :P heres a funny thig too ..may b it has to do with the HUD or the turns navigator :P lol or jst to tell u its time to swap ur pads :P
omarrakeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:08 PM   #140
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
yeah it will be real bad if one falls off and some odd thing like it getting stuck in the caliper and your break locks up or doesn't work. lets just hope nothing like this can happen
thats probably the worst case scenario lets just hope that doesnt happen.. i really dont understand how they expect double stick tape to survive on a brake caliper though...