Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 04-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #211
SWHCPA
Snow White can be naughty

Drives: '10 Camaro/'67 Mustang
Send a message via AIM to SWHCPA Send a message via Yahoo to SWHCPA Send a message via Skype™ to SWHCPA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardhoggard View Post
Seriously guys... You are going crazy about NOTHING! You only even notice that they are there if you are looking for them. Remember last night when I said I didnt have them? It's because I couldnt see them. I personally don't know what they are for, but I don't really care either. Maybe I will if they become a problem, but until then, I know that the people that put them there know much much more about this car than I do and I trust their knowledge.
SWHCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #212
2002b4c

Drives: 2001 Camaro B4C, 2011 Camaro SS
I checked out the link on Automotive News - It takes you to an article from July 2008 - nothing on this subject.

Tony
2002b4c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #213
scomaro22

Drives: 2010 VR 2SS! ,'09 Genesis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborne View Post
I forwarded the pics to Brembo. Just got an email back from them. They state that..
“It’s likely they’re used for noise defeat.
These will often defeat harmonic distortion a.k.a brake squeal.”
All i know is that i had an '06 Volvo S60R and it had Brembos on it, and they worked real well, buuuuut, squealed like no other. It was awful and embarrassing when they did. I brought it back to the dealership 4 or 5 times over the life of the lease and their techs had nothing to say but " Brembos just squeal" . It was beyond annoying and a half assed excuse. This Camaro is too beautiful of a car to have the brakes squealing like they did on that R, so if those weights are what have to be on them for now, ill suck it up and deal till it gets resolved, bc i will not want to drive that car with the brakes making as much noise as i remember the, making on the other car.
scomaro22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:26 AM   #214
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
I don't understand how people are saying this is harmonic related. That doesn't make sense to me. The breaks barely move. In order to have a harmonic issue, they need to be moving in a constant fashion (e.g. spinning) causing an imbalance which creates noise at a frequency. Breaks don't move at any sort of frequency! It's not like these are on the rotor or something. Squealing breaks isn't caused by some sort of harmonic imbalance it's caused by friction. That's why break pads aren't made out of some plain ol metal as they would squeal like a mofo every time you tapped the breaks. Obviously this is a bandaid for something but a harmonic imbalance, I think not.
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #215
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Again, this thread was not created by the OP so that it can be a complaint thread. It was created to be a useful discussion thread to get to the bottom of what these weights' purpose may be. If you have something technical to add, please do so. Otherwise, sorry, but off-topic posts will continue to be deleted so that people following this thread can concentrate on the reasons for the weights.
Tran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM   #216
Rogue Leader
Iatefiberglassinsulation

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS M6
I love the expert talk assuming these are just tape weights like you would put on a wheel to balance it and will melt off.

Come on, It seems like noone can give them 1 iota of a benefit of the doubt.
2008 Chevy Silverado 2500 HD LT 6.0 - Tow Vehicle
1991 Alfa Romeo 164S - Project Car
1994 Volkswagen Golf - Race Car

"Like" my race team on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/farfrumwinnin
Rogue Leader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #217
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCF w00t View Post
I don't understand how people are saying this is harmonic related. That doesn't make sense to me. The breaks barely move. In order to have a harmonic issue, they need to be moving in a constant fashion (e.g. spinning) causing an imbalance which creates noise at a frequency. Breaks don't move at any sort of frequency! It's not like these are on the rotor or something. Squealing breaks isn't caused by some sort of harmonic imbalance it's caused by friction. That's why break pads aren't made out of some plain ol metal as they would squeal like a mofo every time you tapped the breaks. Obviously this is a bandaid for something but a harmonic imbalance, I think not.
I do see your point. But Harmonic resonances can come from any system under pressure. like hydraulic brakes squeezing pads against a rotating disk.

I'm reaching way back to my days in the Navy here so bear with me. But, Hydraulic systems are extremely prone to pressure related squeals, vibrations, or even howls based on many different forces. It's possible that under a common brake pressure and a common vehicle speed that the brakes themselves squeal when everything is at that exact point to cause the resonance. It does make sense that adding weights will reduce the frequency at which the resonance occurs changing the dynamic of the forces causing it. It's always better to reduce the cause of the resonant frequency than to cover it up for sure. But I'd prefer to add weight than to say add a bushing that just hides the vibration. Adding the weight actually reduces the vibration. Even though the brakes don't rotate like the rotor does, it still is affected by the rotor and pressure.

For what it's worth.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:36 AM   #218
Davis

Drives: '10 Black 2SS/RS M6
They look different from the wheel weights to me. Mine will be staying on until we know for certain.
Delivered 4/17/2009
Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 10:53 AM   #219
boxmonkeyracing
juggernaut

Drives: VRSCF, 2011 SS vert
Send a message via AIM to boxmonkeyracing Send a message via Yahoo to boxmonkeyracing
Quote:

Guess u r right. Friction does cause vibrations which can cause harmonic tones. (Hint of sarcasm)

Since the rotors spin as fast as the wheels turn and the callipers are stationary. Even a slight friction between the two could in essence cause a harmonic tone.

Or they're there to stop the vibrations from reaching somewhere else on the car when u apply the brakes.

Point is who knows none of us designed the suspension and braking systems for this car.

Brembo stated it might be for the harmonic balancing but u seem to doubt them to.
boxmonkeyracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:32 AM   #220
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxmonkeyracing View Post
Guess u r right. Friction does cause vibrations which can cause harmonic tones. (Hint of sarcasm)

Since the rotors spin as fast as the wheels turn and the callipers are stationary. Even a slight friction between the two could in essence cause a harmonic tone.

Or they're there to stop the vibrations from reaching somewhere else on the car when u apply the brakes.

Point is who knows none of us designed the suspension and braking systems for this car.

Brembo stated it might be for the harmonic balancing but u seem to doubt them to.
Got this interesting response from my father (GM manager):

Quote:
Hmmm... Harmonic Resonance Dampers? Original Camaro had a last minute gel filled canister that went into the trunk to dampen a resonance they could not engineer out.
So his take was that it was for harmonic dampening. Who knows for sure though...
2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:35 AM   #221
1_2Many

Drives: 2008 Suzuki SX4
Quote:

You are incorrect. Let me explain:

This has nothing to do with "harmonic imbalance". Something doesn't have to be spinning to have a resonant frequency...and everything has a natural resonant frequency. If the brake calipers have a natural frequency in the range of the vibration caused by the friction of the rotor against the pads then they will "squeal".

Brake calipers must be an engineering nightmare because not only are they very light compared to the massive rotor...they are actually shaped like a tuning fork which is exactly what you don't want when trying to control vibration.

I should know...I'm a vibration test engineer! I've worked here for the last 8 years and my whole job is to control resonant frequencies. http://www.baughneng.com

Using lead weights to control noise is a very feasable idea. Lead is very dense and relatively soft which is great for noise dampening. We use what we call "Q-Damp" to dampen vibration and although I'm not at liberty to tell you what it is made of I can tell you that it basically does the same job as the lead weights appear to be doing.

In my opinion, GM should not replace these calipers. They do not need to spend anymore wasted money, but instead they should have a solid painted lead weight to replace the generic wheel weights.
Old 04-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #222
fdjizm
Account Suspended

Drives: 2008 Mustang GT/CS
Quote:
Hmmm... Harmonic Resonance Dampers? Original Camaro had a last minute gel filled canister that went into the trunk to dampen a resonance they could not engineer out.
gell filled canister? pics? lol that sounds interesting
fdjizm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:42 AM   #223
UCF w00t
Geek

Drives: IOM 2010 Camaro 2SS
That makes sense. I know everything has a resonant frequency but they aren't moving so I didn't see how they could reach that frequency. I guess the friction from stopping could cause it to achieve that but it still seems odd to me. But I'm just a techie so I'll defer to the vibration test engineer .
UCF w00t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 11:45 AM   #224
kdbolt70

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdjizm View Post
gell filled canister? pics? lol that sounds interesting
http://www.chevy-camaro.com/faq/chev...l-shakers.shtm

working on pics. They were called "cocktail shakers"

2SS/RS Victory Red M6 w/ Black Rallys #3305
Muffler Delete, Lloyd "SS" Floormats, K&N Aircharger, Skip Shift Eliminator, Blacked Bowties
kdbolt70 is offline   Reply With Quote