Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 06-12-2010, 12:26 PM   #3585
600hp-lpe

Drives: 2010
Thanks for the info Pete! Good to know the details...
600hp-lpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #3586
mws444

Drives: 701 RWHP Lingenfelter/Pedders Beast
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusticePete View Post
We used a Greddy import can because it was huge. The LS3 builds oil from G loads in hard turns. The better the driver, consider a driver who doesn't hit the highest peak G loads but holds a sustained high G load for a longer time, fills the tank in 5 or 6 laps. We did testing at Gingerman on Wednesday with our new Supercar Coilovers and after one six lap session had crankcase oil blowing out the vent on the catch can. Dry sumping helps, but does not eliminate the problem.

We also were testing a Saleen S281 -- yeah I know WRONG FORUM Everyone told us that the Ford's didn't need a catch can. We installed one any way. It is a smaller billet style and we filled it in 3 laps.

We are looking at plumbing a secondary catch can on both vehicles. We also highly recommend that anyone pulling road course time use a premium synthetic oil. The LS series builds oil on top and starve for oil on the bottom in road course use. Add a 2 1/2 quart oil cooler with -12 lines to increase capacity and lower oil temps too.

The better you become at hustling your Camaro around the road course the worse the oiling problems become. Too put this in perspective, our driver on Wednesday raced a CTS-V for several years. It was a fully caged, lightened, balanced and blue printed engine, Penske racing coilovers and full slicks. A CTS-V production car holds the record at the Nurburing as the FASEST PRODUCTION CAR to run the Ring. We have the Camaro running more than 1 second faster than his race car. Same track. Same Driver. Same oil problem...

We are placing ridiculous loads on the Camaro. My guess is a street driven LPE does not need a catch can. A road course driven LPE may need two. I'll let you know if we make any changes to our system. Right now it is just a big catch can with a valve and drain hose at the bottom.
Man I cant wait to see video on this car! I figured to catch cans were needed, but that is wild yours is filling so fast. I wonder if there is a mod for the PVC location to help? Have you added a heat extractor hood to help cool things off yet? Thanks for shaking things out for us!
CCW 505t's Nitto Invo's and DR's
Beware of the LPE Brotherhood!
mws444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 01:56 PM   #3587
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
Man I cant wait to see video on this car! I figured to catch cans were needed, but that is wild yours is filling so fast. I wonder if there is a mod for the PVC location to help? Have you added a heat extractor hood to help cool things off yet? Thanks for shaking things out for us!
We use an ACS / Nickey Chicago Stinger II hood with a functional fresh air duct. It isn't enough as it build heat too fast. The catch cans are Band-Aids. It is the head and oiling system that create the oil build up so we just work around it and limit our sessions. Much depends on how you corner. Paul Tracy and my mystery driver from Wednesday both hold high G turns for extended periods of time. That exaggerates the problem. It is a good news / bad news deal. The better you drive, the faster your exit speeds from corners the worse the oiling problem becomes...

I did post up a YouTube on our EP1201HD sub-frame bushes a short time ago. It is undeditted.
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #3588
Hoverman

Drives: 2010 2ss
You Guys running on the track, do you tape your car to prevent rock chips if so what kind and where do you get it?
Pfadt adj coilovers,Pfadt trailing arms,
Pfadt Dif Bushings, Pfadt rear tie rods
Hotchiss Cassis Brace, LPE 3.91 gears
MGW shifter,Billetprototypes Catch Can
LPE Pedals, LPE Sway bar links
LPE custom ralley stripes, Paint upgrade and 4 coats of clear
Lingengelter Embroidered Headrest
Foose wheels, LPE Brake calipers with slotted rotors
Hotchiss/LPE Strut Brace,
Hoverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:05 PM   #3589
mws444

Here are some more pics of my Baby after all the underbody work.
Attached Images

Last edited by mws444; 06-13-2010 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-12-2010, 10:12 PM   #3590
600hp-lpe

Thanks MWS and Blue, looks like I have some Pfadt parts to order (Camber plates). That solves the front adjustment.

Any Ideas on how i get to -3 degrees neg camber in the rear? The Pedders eccentrics are good to -1.7 neg camber. I still need more adjustment in the rear...
Old 06-12-2010, 10:16 PM   #3591
JusticePete

Drives: Camaro Justice
Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
Thanks MWS and Blue, looks like I have some Pfadt parts to order (Camber plates). That solves the front adjustment.

Any Ideas on how i get to -3 degrees neg camber in the rear? The Pedders eccentrics are good to -1.7 neg camber. I still need more...
Please tell me what are you looking to improve or correct?
JusticePete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #3592
600hp-lpe

Quote:
Please tell me what are you looking to improve or correct?

The highly tuned/modified Autocross cars run 3 to 3.5 degrees neg camber on all 4 tires for maximum cornering grip. I have been setting my car up to be competitive for autocross.

I can get all of the other adjustments I need for the suspension with the exception of max negative camber (as related to a properly setup autocross suspension).

The Pfadt camber plates in conjunction with the stock camber adjustment will give me the settings I require in the front..

I would like to be able to get more neg. camber in the rear. Got any suggestions Pete?

Last edited by 600hp-lpe; 06-12-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 07:38 AM   #3593
RS-SS2

Drives: 2010 Camaro, 09 mini, 01 3500
Mws and Blue, nice work on the suspension mods. Those are two very track ready LPE cars.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:30 AM   #3594
Speed74SS

Drives: 2010 LPE 650+ CTS-V
Quote:
We used a Greddy import can because it was huge. The LS3 builds oil from G loads in hard turns. The better the driver, consider a driver who doesn't hit the highest peak G loads but holds a sustained high G load for a longer time, fills the tank in 5 or 6 laps. We did testing at Gingerman on Wednesday with our new Supercar Coilovers and after one six lap session had crankcase oil blowing out the vent on the catch can. Dry sumping helps, but does not eliminate the problem.

We also were testing a Saleen S281 -- yeah I know WRONG FORUM Everyone told us that the Ford's didn't need a catch can. We installed one any way. It is a smaller billet style and we filled it in 3 laps.

We are looking at plumbing a secondary catch can on both vehicles. We also highly recommend that anyone pulling road course time use a premium synthetic oil. The LS series builds oil on top and starve for oil on the bottom in road course use. Add a 2 1/2 quart oil cooler with -12 lines to increase capacity and lower oil temps too.

The better you become at hustling your Camaro around the road course the worse the oiling problems become. Too put this in perspective, our driver on Wednesday raced a CTS-V for several years. It was a fully caged, lightened, balanced and blue printed engine, Penske racing coilovers and full slicks. A CTS-V production car holds the record at the Nurburing as the FASEST PRODUCTION CAR to run the Ring. We have the Camaro running more than 1 second faster than his race car. Same track. Same Driver. Same oil problem...

We are placing ridiculous loads on the Camaro. My guess is a street driven LPE does not need a catch can. A road course driven LPE may need two. I'll let you know if we make any changes to our system. Right now it is just a big catch can with a valve and drain hose at the bottom.
Pete - thank you for the information on the catch cans. I am very interested in this and would love to know the set up and where I can get the parts required. I would like to be as safe as I can out on the track.

2.55 Upper / 8.6 Lower / ID850's / Kooks Longtubes / New Era CAI
Speed74SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #3595
Blue70SS

Drives: 10 LS3 2SSRS IOM,21 ZLE Wild Cherry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mws444 View Post
Here are some more pics of my Baby after all the underbody work.
Nice pics MWS - really like the wheels too. Maybe someday mine will grow up and earn wider wheels too.
Squash twins,GT9,Coil Covers,Mats,Pedals/ADM Gauges,Race Scoop/Trunions
DDS CVs,Carbon F DS/RPM L6/LPE 9.5 3.73/Pedders HD bushes,align kit
RB 2-piece rotors,S/S Lines,Hawk HPE Pads/Forgeline SP3P/Weld RTS
Ceramic ARH 2" LT/3" X-pipe,Corsa Touring/BMR TA,Toe,LCA,DS Loop
StreetSlayer BC3/MTI Shifter-Trans mt/Hotchkis CB/Monster CC/SJM LineLock
PFADT Coil Overs,Sways,Links,Mounts,SF Bushes,Camber Kit

LPE Brotherhood
Blue70SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 01:17 PM   #3596
Blue70SS

Quote:

Nice looking catch can - really like the fluid level gauge on the side, but haven't seen a drain valve. Very hard to pick the "best one" - lots of info out there, but no side by side comparisons. Being an LPE fanantic and wanting to protect the car, I'm always looking for the best. I know this probably should be in another thread, but "2nd catch can" got me wondering. Primary one catches mostly during hard breaking and 2nd location catches more under hard acceleration due to locations on the engine? The return oil system sounds good, but you don't get to keep your finger on the "pulse" of what's happening with your oil. Not a hardcore racer here, but like to see what the car is designed for legally.

LPE Brotherhood
Old 06-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #3597
Blue70SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 570hp-lpe View Post
The highly tuned/modified Autocross cars run 3 to 3.5 degrees neg camber on all 4 tires for maximum cornering grip. I have been setting my car up to be competitive for autocross.

I can get all of the other adjustments I need for the suspension with the exception of max negative camber (as related to a properly setup autocross suspension).

The Pfadt camber plates in conjunction with the stock camber adjustment will give me the settings I require in the front..

I would like to be able to get more neg. camber in the rear. Got any suggestions Pete?
I'm voting you our LPE track car spokesman. Now all we need is live streaming video feeds available while you race. We'll have to talk Pedders and Pfadt into mounting cameras on your car and an LPE sponsorship.

LPE Brotherhood
Old 06-13-2010, 01:58 PM   #3598
mws444

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70SS View Post
Nice pics MWS - really like the wheels too. Maybe someday mine will grow up and earn wider wheels too.

Man you have the mod bug in a bad way....wheels and tires wont be far away.