Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 AM   #85
kmcd
1,425 hp / supercharged

Drives: (2010 2SS/L99) (1999 Corvette)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudderFinger View Post
...I wish they would have offered a real shifter to change gears with if I was going to have to use the M mode?
I bought one of these from CFD:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...ifter+tapshift

It's the best mod for the money you can make to the L99. Check out the thread, and send George a PM if you're interested.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:50 AM   #86
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
AFM - GM Public relations

In the restaraunt business the saying is something like this. 1 satsified diner will tell two of his friends. 1 unsatisfied diner will tell 10 of his friends.

A couple of nights ago I pulled into the local barbeque place. While I was sitting out front waiting for my girlfriend to arrive, a couple approached and started asking about my camaro (love it when that happens).

They asked my opionion good and bad as they were/are considering purchasing. As a matter of fact, they had almost purchased one a couple of days ago.

I gushed about all the things I love about my car. I told them about the top rub marks issues (yes i have them and need to take it in to the dealer). I didn't say a word about any of the other complaints I've read about here since I personally haven't experienced any of them.

But.. what I did talk about was AFM and how disappointed I am with it and if I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't have purchased my automatic because of AFM. The marketing and idea is great and I bought right into it, but then in reality it isn't what it's cracked up to be in my opionion. I would have considered a manual, but I'm done with manual shift as a dd. I love manual shift, but as a toy, not a tool.

I went on to say, GM says it's transparant to most drivers, but I'm a sensitive driver and it does bother me.

So, as they were walking off I heard her say to him, "Honey, I won't drive a manual. Let's see what else we can go look at this weekend. I love the car (they were looking at 2ss/rs/verts), but I don't know about this AFM thing."

So - GM - Take heed - I wonder how many people they will tell? I wonder how many more people I will tell?

I feel that GM feels we are the minority, and not important enough to listen to and work with us on this issue.

Please find a way to allow us to turn off AFM and not void the warranty.
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:05 AM   #87
Switchback700

Drives: 2010 2SS IBM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by cam62 View Post
In the restaraunt business the saying is something like this. 1 satsified diner will tell two of his friends. 1 unsatisfied diner will tell 10 of his friends.

A couple of nights ago I pulled into the local barbeque place. While I was sitting out front waiting for my girlfriend to arrive, a couple approached and started asking about my camaro (love it when that happens).

They asked my opionion good and bad as they were/are considering purchasing. As a matter of fact, they had almost purchased one a couple of days ago.

I gushed about all the things I love about my car. I told them about the top rub marks issues (yes i have them and need to take it in to the dealer). I didn't say a word about any of the other complaints I've read about here since I personally haven't experienced any of them.

But.. what I did talk about was AFM and how disappointed I am with it and if I had it to do over again, I probably wouldn't have purchased my automatic because of AFM. The marketing and idea is great and I bought right into it, but then in reality it isn't what it's cracked up to be in my opionion. I would have considered a manual, but I'm done with manual shift as a dd. I love manual shift, but as a toy, not a tool.

I went on to say, GM says it's transparant to most drivers, but I'm a sensitive driver and it does bother me.

So, as they were walking off I heard her say to him, "Honey, I won't drive a manual. Let's see what else we can go look at this weekend. I love the car (they were looking at 2ss/rs/verts), but I don't know about this AFM thing."

So - GM - Take heed - I wonder how many people they will tell? I wonder how many more people I will tell?

I feel that GM feels we are the minority, and not important enough to listen to and work with us on this issue.

Please find a way to allow us to turn off AFM and not void the warranty.

Switchback700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 09:32 AM   #88
formare
The Milano

Drives: 2017 Firefly ShipWorks
I had a 2006 charger RT/RT with AFM. I never noticed the AFM engaging at all, it was completely hidden from the driving experience. Why is it that the gm take on this is so disliked?
Old 08-06-2011, 10:02 AM   #89
cam62

Drives: 2012 IBM Vert 2SS/rs
Quote:
Originally Posted by formare View Post
I had a 2006 charger RT/RT with AFM. I never noticed the AFM engaging at all, it was completely hidden from the driving experience. Why is it that the gm take on this is so disliked?
I can only speak for mysefl.
The "farting" sound - which according to all I've read here is more pronounced with aftermarket exhaust. Either I will wait till my warranty expires(5 years is a long time), wait till gm gives us the go ahead to turn off and not void warranty, or decide to void my warranty, I won't be adding aftermarket exhaust. Too bad, I really want aftermarket exhaust.

The slight hesitation when coming out of AFM especially at low speeds.

Not enough of a difference in mpg to be worth the annoyance.

Annoying and for a 40k + car very dissapointing.

Less than two months of owning my car and I'm starting to consider moving on to another vehicle because of this. I'm a vette guy from the days of my youth..but would not be happy with a base model vette (i've had two - a c4 and a ZO6) so I decided to purchase top of the line camaro and less than two months later.. considering moving on?. very disappointing.

Don't get me wrong, I love my camaro. Maybe I'm just too sensitive a driver to have AFM?

Don't know if other manufacturers AFM implementation is more transparant or not, since I don't have experience with them.

Last edited by cam62; 08-06-2011 at 10:13 AM. Reason: err.. ZO6,notZO7
cam62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #90
Brolik10
BLOWN!!!

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS
I too had a 2006 Charger RT, well my wife did and the AFM wasnt noticable until we had the exhaust done. It still was not as annoying as on the Camaro! I'm converting my L99 to LS3 this month so GOODBYE AFM!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 08:18 PM   #91
L99CAMA2011

Drives: One of the baddest handling Gen 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brolik10 View Post
I too had a 2006 Charger RT, well my wife did and the AFM wasnt noticable until we had the exhaust done. It still was not as annoying as on the Camaro! I'm converting my L99 to LS3 this month so GOODBYE AFM!!!
Can't wait for my turn do to the same, and make my L99 a real car.
L99CAMA2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 03:15 AM   #92
godeepdown
Jeremy Frye

Drives: 2016 Hyper blue 1SS
so how do we set up a petition? lets get it going
godeepdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 07:16 AM   #93
myold88

Drives: SUMMIT WHITE 2SS/RS CAMARO
I can't be the only one. After 2 years I never heard the AFM on my stock SS L99- never ! Now that I have my Solo J-pipe axle backs still can't detect the AFM or any drone. Am I just lucky ? I don't think so- I would buy another automatic Camaro in a minute. The satisfied customers are not posting here, only the complainers imo.
Old 08-10-2011, 07:21 AM   #94
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
I can't be the only one. After 2 years I never heard the AFM on my stock SS L99- never ! Now that I have my Solo J-pipe axle backs still can't detect the AFM or any drone. Am I just lucky ? I don't think so- I would buy another automatic Camaro in a minute. The satisfied customers are not posting here, only the complainers imo.
You're not the only one... you did your homework and bought the right exhaust. A lot of folks who can't detect it or it's just very minor noise do not care about threads like this.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:12 AM   #95
kbui

Drives: 85 Vette, 07 Escalade ESV, 03 GMC,
Quote:
Originally Posted by myold88 View Post
There are a few possibilities to explain your A6:

1) you got the car that with AFM that is working as designed (per Jeff's response = AFM not active in S/M modes).

2) you can't tell the difference. Because with stock exhaust, you sometime can't hear it, but you still can feel it. It's the shuddering and vibration when it goes in and out of AFM.

3) Going in and out of AFM shuddering is OK with you because you think that's normal for a performance car.

My son and wife are also clueless about AFM when they drive my car. They think it's normal, but even my service manager thinks it feels like he was driving a 4 banger for a second or 2 when AFM is active. Consider yourself lucky that AFM is not bothering you. For a lot of us, either an aftermarket tune or driving with paddle shifts all the time is the only solution.

ADM Performance installed and tuned: Maggie, Stainless Works Power LTs, ADM race cai, ADM ZL1 scoop
Whiteside Customs Super Street 2 Package w/ coilovers
BC Racing Coilovers and lowered, Whiteline Bushings & Swaybars
MBRP catback exhaust, ZL1 bumper conversion, Drake billet shifter, Hurst paddles, NLP rear spoiler, OEM GFX, Vis Racing hood, ASA GT5 wheels
kbui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:40 AM   #96
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"
I just got back from the dealer. Here is what was said:

Quote:
Customer states that the Active Fuel Management is not disengaging when in sports or tap shift mode. Call TAC Case 975558370 Operating As Designed - AFM Disengages only on 2010 normal operation.
Jeff...I have a 2011. What is my next step?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:35 AM   #97
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by 572HP View Post
I just got back from the dealer. Here is what was said:

Jeff...I have a 2011. What is my next step?

5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 02:50 PM   #98
572HP
ACE5 (Atlanta Group)

Drives: "Black Ice"

So per Jeff's suggestion (PM'd), I called and opened a case with GM. Case 71-975740962. After explaining my situation, the person I talked with put me on hold for about 10 minutes while he called my dealership and talked with my service advisor. When he came back, he said that they were told that it was working as designed, and nothing would be done about it, but the engineering team would get a copy of the complaint for possible future design decisions.

I guess GM is just willing to let a bunch of unhappy customers spread the word.