Go Back   CAMARO6 > Specific Packages / Variants > 6th gen Camaro 1LE

BeckyD @ James Martin Chevy

Old 04-07-2017, 09:00 AM   #71
1LEMATT
1LE enthusiast

Drives: 2017 SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS 1LE View Post
Yes, but you have to remember that these cars have been out since mid '15, with the exception of the ZL1. The LT1 is the same in the SS/SS 1LE...and over the near two years they have been out, any reports of issues like this are few and far between. Even new cars can have a defective part. My C5 Z06 had a CEL the first time I started it at the dealer (turned out to be a bad cat), it happens. Like I said, there was another member who had a similar issue on his V6, ended up being a bad injector. The CEL should lead them in the right direction though. If it's a bad batch of parts, it would be nice to compare build dates to help you guys out.
I tend to agree with this statement.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:24 PM   #72
glamcem

Drives: '19 RivrsdBlu 1LE ('17 1LE HB sold)
Quote:
Yes, but you have to remember that these cars have been out since mid '15, with the exception of the ZL1. The LT1 is the same in the SS/SS 1LE...and over the near two years they have been out, any reports of issues like this are few and far between. Even new cars can have a defective part. My C5 Z06 had a CEL the first time I started it at the dealer (turned out to be a bad cat), it happens. Like I said, there was another member who had a similar issue on his V6, ended up being a bad injector. The CEL should lead them in the right direction though. If it's a bad batch of parts, it would be nice to compare build dates to help you guys out.

What was you build date? General month/year is on your door sticker, more exact date is on your window sticker...
Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing. What I am trying to say is, it is very possible this may be unique to 2017 MY cars and it is somewhat hard to replicate on street driving and because of that it's very early to tell it's an isolated issue. The fact that it happened on a brand new car in the dealer showroom makes me think that it might be a faulty part or tune. I don't think my car had this from the beginning or I would notice it at the first event I attended to.

The built day on the door sticker is Nov-2016, FYI
glamcem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:23 PM   #73
SS 1LE
マスタング = 遅い

Drives: 2017 Chevrolet Camaro SS 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by glamcem View Post
Don't get me wrong, I am not arguing. What I am trying to say is, it is very possible this may be unique to 2017 MY cars and it is somewhat hard to replicate on street driving and because of that it's very early to tell it's an isolated issue. The fact that it happened on a brand new car in the dealer showroom makes me think that it might be a faulty part or tune. I don't think my car had this from the beginning or I would notice it at the first event I attended to.

The built day on the door sticker is Nov-2016, FYI
So many variables...but the V6 that had the same issue was a 2016. So who knows...
Old 04-07-2017, 01:40 PM   #74
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
Quote:
It is not a 4v DOHC motor, and it has "tall" gearing, so it will not rip up the rev range. Which for tracking, isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Agree. Just commenting on what Randy said and my own interpretation of same. Peace

My uncle works at a GM engine factory and works directly with John Rydzewski (one of the main LT1 engineers). So I can tell you for certain that the dry sump Corvette and Camaro LT1's are indeed nearly the same. The only real differences are as I said, pretty minor like accessories (intake could fit this category), exhaust and a few other things (like the Camaro has a built in sort of oil separator thing), all external stuff for the most part. The main guts of the engines are the exact same, nothing substantial was changed.
well, one can slap a blower on an otherwise stock motor, gain 50% in power and claim that a "motor is stock" - technically speaking. I don't have an uncle that works at GM, so only going by what GM has officially stated as 20% revised over a Vette motor. And some dyno results which are much higher than the C7's (some pushing 500 mark torque wise). So as a *package* I view Camaro's power plant (all components) as being re-worked and that likely includes a different tune too. Whether it qualifies as "major" or "minor" is up to individual interpretation I suppose. And I do think that the different oil return solution plays a major vs minor role in the motor surviving track duty with a wet sump (even on slicks it seems) vs Z51 requiring a dry sump. Just my thoughts, that's all. Cheers!
PS All ears on the "hesitation" issue as I am seriously considering getting a 1LE but not before GM finds a root cause of it - regardless how few cars may actually experience this.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #75
1LEMATT
1LE enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrackClub View Post
well, one can slap a blower on an otherwise stock motor, gain 50% in power and claim that a "motor is stock" - technically speaking. I don't have an uncle that works at GM, so only going by what GM has officially stated as 20% revised over a Vette motor. And some dyno results which are much higher than the C7's (some pushing 500 mark torque wise). So as a *package* I view Camaro's power plant (all components) as being re-worked and that likely includes a different tune too. Whether it qualifies as "major" or "minor" is up to individual interpretation I suppose. And I do think that the different oil return solution plays a major vs minor role in the motor surviving track duty with a wet sump (even on slicks it seems) vs Z51 requiring a dry sump. Just my thoughts, that's all. Cheers!
PS All ears on the "hesitation" issue as I am seriously considering getting a 1LE but not before GM finds a root cause of it - regardless how few cars may actually experience this.
SS 1LE is infact correct about the slight differences between the two. I work at a GM parts distribution center.

Also, what "hesitation" problem"? You mean the one four cars in here have had? One of which was a 2016 V6 and one of which was a ZL1, and one of which wasn't an 1LE? Out of the thousands and thousands and thousands...
Old 04-07-2017, 02:07 PM   #76
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1LEMATT View Post
SS 1LE is infact correct about the slight differences between the two. I work at a GM parts distribution center.

Also, what "hesitation" problem"? You mean the one four cars in here have had? One of which was a 2016 V6 and one of which was a ZL1, and one of which wasn't an 1LE? Out of the thousands and thousands and thousands...
Have you actually read the entire thread?

It feels more like a tuning issue (or a tune related issue that might have caused by a faulty part) as it can be replicated at the same exact RPM and I doubt the 2016 Camaro V6 had the same thing since I would expect to see that happening at different times with an injector issue. I might be wrong though

So far it happened to 4, 2017 cars (2 X SS 1LE, SS and a ZL1). All of them are 2017 model year cars. No one suggested that this should be a common issue but in the meantime not "thousands and thousands" of people go WOT on the street or already passed the break in period to test it
Old 04-07-2017, 02:39 PM   #77
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:

It feels more like a tuning issue (or a tune related issue that might have caused by a faulty part) as it can be replicated at the same exact RPM and I doubt the 2016 Camaro V6 had the same thing since I would expect to see that happening at different times with an injector issue. I might be wrong though

So far it happened to 4, 2017 cars (2 X SS 1LE, SS and a ZL1). All of them are 2017 model year cars. No one suggested that this should be a common issue but in the meantime not "thousands and thousands" of people go WOT on the street or already passed the break in period to test it
I also think that V6 is very likely a different problem. After all, many things cause hesitation and such issues, and it is easy to mistake root causes as being same. In fact, even the car whose engine started having hiccups in every RPM after showing identical symptoms as these other cars could also have two issues going on; hard to know for sure.

Going back, the common theme seems to be '2017'. Since people hardly started pushing their new cars, it might be too early to call on the 'frequency'. Even then, not many people will push their car to redline all the time. Actually it doesn't even make sense to do so at the street, so it will likely be detected by those who go to track with their cars.

Looking forward to hearing about a good root cause analysis by GM or a dealer.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 03:16 PM   #78
glamcem

Quote:
Originally Posted by X25 View Post
I also think that V6 is very likely a different problem. After all, many things cause hesitation and such issues, and it is easy to mistake root causes as being same. In fact, even the car whose engine started having hiccups in every RPM after showing identical symptoms as these other cars could also have two issues going on; hard to know for sure.

Going back, the common theme seems to be '2017'. Since people hardly started pushing their new cars, it might be too early to call on the 'frequency'. Even then, not many people will push their car to redline all the time. Actually it doesn't even make sense to do so at the street, so it will likely be detected by those who go to track with their cars.

It reminds me people who say they never see above 250F degrees oil temp at the track Without knowing the average RPMs that data is pretty much useless. Let's hope this is not a widespread issue
Old 04-07-2017, 03:44 PM   #79
1LEMATT
1LE enthusiast

Quote:
I doubt you will hear anything of the sort. Maybe a dealer will diagnosis the issue via the CEL. But with all the members on here who have these cars (2017's have been available for many months), you would've heard much more about this if it was a widespread problem.

Plus, of the small handful of cars having the issue, they aren't even the same engines - LT1 and LT4.

Quote:
Yes, it was sarcasm...

Hey, I hope you guys get this resolved, and I feel for you guys, but you are making this into much more of an issue than it is even remotely close to being at this point. Wait until the guys car at the dealer that has the CEL is fixed, then you will know where to go from there.
Old 04-07-2017, 04:52 PM   #80
TrackClub

Drives: 2020 SS 1LE (previous: 2017 SS 1LE)
I bet if your car exhibited such problem than it would not be "much more of an issue than it is". Also, lets not assume that all owners are on this forum to report it - far from it. So it could be 4 cars affected, or 40, or 400. Only GM knows at this stage.
As to the root cause: I do hope we hear about it. I am VERY interested in this car, but wont buy it JUST IN CASE I end up "unlucky" and a dealer has no clue how to fix it.
TrackClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 05:04 PM   #81
glamcem

I think we've been talking more about how frequent (what percentage of the total 17 MY cars) a lot more than the issue itself. Let's just say .00002% of the owners so that everyone can take a deep breath
Old 04-07-2017, 05:24 PM   #82
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
Quote:
I think we've been talking more about how frequent (what percentage of the total 17 MY cars) a lot more than the issue itself. Let's just say .00002% of the owners so that everyone can take a deep breath
I think you meant to say: "Let's just say .0000000000000000000002% of the owners so that everyone can know for sure that they're not affected, take a deep breath, and stop undermining this thread to feel good about it" : ))

Looking forward learning about how this issue will get fixed.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2017, 06:06 PM   #83
glamcem

Quote:
I think you meant to say: "Let's just say .0000000000000000000002% of the owners so that everyone can know for sure that they're not affected, take a deep breath, and stop undermining this thread to feel good about it" : ))

Looking forward learning about how this issue will get fixed.

I had a chance to speak with a couple dealerships in my area and scheduled an appointment for this Wednesday. Who would guess a simple ECM reset would be this complicated, right? oh I'm sorry btw, they call it "reprogramming"

If that solves my issue, that should prove that the issue with Gen 5 Camaro , "car cannot recover from the bad fuel map or safe mode" (whatever is the correct term) does still exist. Like you said, maybe the thing happened to another SS owner is just a combination of other issues and our problem is an easy fix, who knows
Old 04-08-2017, 08:53 AM   #84
geaux_tigerss

Drives: 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4
Update on mine. They changed the camshaft position actuator solenoid, some camshaft magnet, and the ECM. None of those fixed it. The problem turned out to be a wiring harness than was too close to the A/C belt causing a rub sometimes. The insulation was rubbed through causing 2 wires to touch sometimes (high load I assume). The problem eventually got bad enough to cause the CEL and drivability issues. Once they fixed that the car drove perfect. No more hesitation or surges at any RPM. I tested it very thoroughly yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
geaux_tigerss is offline   Reply With Quote