Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 03-15-2016, 12:00 AM   #1
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Forgestars cracking?

Hey guys, I was thinking of getting a set of Forgestar F14s in Bronze Burst, but I'm seeing an awful lot of reports of Forgestars (the F14 in particular) cracking. :/

http://acurazine.com/forums/tires-wh...racked-890933/

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1064707

http://mbworld.org/forums/c63-amg-w2...estar-f14.html

http://my350z.com/forum/wheels-and-t...14-beware.html

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/sho...ity-issue-here

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showth...-Pics-included

I mean, that's just the tip of the iceburg. Now I'm super paranoid and not sure I want to get into this.

Just curious if anybody here has had any issues with their Forgestars.

Thanks.
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:40 AM   #2
JD_Alaska

Drives: 2013 Camaro SS Coupe L99
No issues at all with mine and had them for a couple years.
JD_Alaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:58 AM   #3
X25

Drives: '16 C7 Z51
I think it also depends on where you intend to use them, and which model you pick. I've heard multiple guys bending CF5Vs on both road and track, but have also heard that CF5s (the older, beefier model) holds up well. F14s are also said to be good, but you might be finding more issues with them since they have been around for a very long time, and Forgestar seems to have sold more F14s than anything else. I agree that you should be careful, though.
'17 RAM 1500 Crew Cab 4x4 Night Edition
'15 Nissan Rogue S AWD
X25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 06:35 AM   #4
Denis

Drives: 2010 SS
I actually spoke with a guy at the track last weekend who had F14's on his Mercedes. He told me that hes replaced two of them already due to cracking or bending. it surprised me since I had never really heard of that being an issue.
Old 03-15-2016, 07:50 AM   #5
bkscott

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Had mine for a couple of years and never had a issue, sold to a friend and she is running them with no problem....

ADM CAI, Borla Type S Cat Back, VMAX Ported TB, LG Short Throw Shifter, 1LE Shocks, Hotchkis Sway Bars, Whiteline Cradle Bushing Inserts, Custom Powdercoated ZL1's ,Michelin Pilot Supersports, Stainless Power Headers, Solo J Pipes, AAC LED Sidemarkers, ZL1 Rockers, SLP Splitter, ADM Stage II Cam,ZL1 Diffuser,Vitesse Throttle Controller.

bkscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:55 AM   #6
1leWorksforMe

Drives: 1le
Tracked mine without issue. Perhaps the aforementioned wheels above were made on a friday?
1leWorksforMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:12 PM   #7
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Keep in mind the more a rim is sold the more likely you are to find issues with them. Any cast rim can crack if put under the right amount of pressure or stress. Forgestars are not forged rims, but cast like OEM rims. Forged rims only bend.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:29 PM   #8
clarkkent

Drives: 2013 2SS (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lgndryhr View Post
Keep in mind the more a rim is sold the more likely you are to find issues with them. Any cast rim can crack if put under the right amount of pressure or stress. Forgestars are not forged rims, but cast like OEM rims. Forged rims only bend.
Well they're not completely cast like an OEM rim, kind of in between. Ideally you'd want fully forged rims, like the 1LE or Z28 wheels (or aftermarkets), however fully forged rims are pretty pricey
Old 03-15-2016, 12:32 PM   #9
GoldCartridgeGamer

Drives: 2014 Ford SVT Raptor SuperCrew
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkkent View Post
Well they're not completely cast like an OEM rim, kind of in between. Ideally you'd want fully forged rims, like the 1LE or Z28 wheels (or aftermarkets), however fully forged rims are pretty pricey
True. They are a cast center and a small step up from OEM rims. 1LE/ZL1 rims have gone down in price significantly in the used market. Z/28 rims will be high for a while I bet. And not all forged rims are pricey, but worth every penny. You pay for what you get in rims just like shoes.

How to hug your camaro
Buy the car that you would most like to get beat in. The other guy will always be faster.
GoldCartridgeGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 12:53 PM   #10
Need4speed_motorsports

Drives: 2016 Camaro SS
If I may chime in, im the #1 Forgestar Dealer for the Camaro and Corvette platform in the world right now.

I have not had a single wheel crack in the years I have been providing the wheels and our service to members. I have however had a issue twice with finish which was a easy and quick fix.

They have changed their build setups over the past few years and the wheels are now stronger and lighter so no issues I can assure you that.
Need4speed_motorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 06:21 PM   #11
ForgedReality
Envy

Drives: 2011 SGM 2SS/RS - Black hood/hockey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Need4speed_motorsports View Post
If I may chime in, im the #1 Forgestar Dealer for the Camaro and Corvette platform in the world right now.

I have not had a single wheel crack in the years I have been providing the wheels and our service to members. I have however had a issue twice with finish which was a easy and quick fix.

They have changed their build setups over the past few years and the wheels are now stronger and lighter so no issues I can assure you that.

Well it does make me a little nervous that their weight rating is a mere 1600lbs, which may be a bit low for the Camaro. The Forgelines I've been looking at are fully forged and rated at 2100lbs, and I'm not finding dozens of threads on cracked Forgelines, but they are a lot more expensive. :\
ForgedReality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2016, 01:07 PM   #12
SPCBA

Drives: pleather and Chiclets
Multiple forge star wheel owner here...

I bent a set, all four, I deserved it. No other wheel would have come away undamaged and lesser wheels would have made the incident catastrophic. If it makes you feel better I bent and subsequently split a stock ss wheel.

I have seen other people bend them on road course, actually seen it. The bmw I was behind deserved it, I laughed as I drove by.
I have had 2 diff sets on road course... Lots and lots of miles.
Only "cracking" on forge stars at track I have seen was on the finish only.

I even bought a new set of cf5v to use for the street exclusively. Knowing they were bending on track cars on the track...
Old 03-19-2016, 11:22 PM   #13
nilfinite

Drives: Camaro 1LE
Interesting thread. So what's the strongest Forgestar wheel?
nilfinite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2016, 08:56 AM   #14
elbob

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I have a set of 19x10 CF5Vs that i purchased from Need4speed.
They have been just great, and i have not been easy on them. I honestly believe you can break anything at the track.
elbob is offline   Reply With Quote