Homepage Garage Wiki Register Social Groups Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > ZL1 Discussions

AWE Tuning

Old 12-01-2018, 03:26 PM   #1
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
A10 Transmission Issues. Need Input Please.

I just thought I'd post on here to get different opinions. I personally believe it's 2 things, either a bad tranny or the TCM tune is way off.

But basically, after our track day, it's never shifted the same. We might of finally pushed it to it's limits, but...........I have gotten varying opinions so. It is what it is. Just fyi. We did to a tranny fluid flush and filter change. Everything looked fine for just 10k miles. Fluid was on the dark side, but nothing to throw you off.

I get a huge rev out in 1st, then it slams into 2nd. Same thing.........It revs out, then slams into 3rd. It does this all the way to 5th.

Downshifts are even worse. In paddle mode, up or down shifts are super hard. In Auto, it revs out then slams into the next gear. In Auto mode cruising Hwy speeds, if you blip the throttle, its a hard down shit, revs out, nothing. It's like it's always out of the power band or something. Cars a dead stick right now.

Any ideas?

Just for added info to diagnose. We ordered an unlocked TCM from HP Tuners. We couldn't get it to read anything so we put the stock TCM back in. For clarification, when we did the track pulls, we did have the HP TCM in the car. Which is prob why it ran like shit. But, on the flip, Sorian said he didn't see anything weird in the logs so. Who knows. So, we put the stock one back in, did a relearn, that did nothing. If anything, it's gotten worse so.

I just got a new set of Welds put on it. Here she looks, sitting still. Broken down like an old hag. haha.

Last edited by kttxz06; 12-01-2018 at 03:55 PM.
kttxz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:31 PM   #2
GT-ER

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Did you have the problems prior to messing with the fluid? Low fluid does what you're complaining about.
GT-ER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT-ER View Post
Did you have the problems prior to messing with the fluid? Low fluid does what you're complaining about.

Nope. We didn't change the fluid until we put back the stock TCM. We put in the HP TCM the night b4 the track day. We did 2 dyno hits that night. I picked the car up, took it to the track the next day. No issues at all until I got back to the house. My driver said he thought it was slipping at 5th gear. But, the rains came, we went home. Next day I drove it to the store and was like wtf. Bang bang bang............every gear change was hard as hell. Now it's just worse.

We gonna wait till we get the new TCM in. If that doesn't work, I guess it's a trans issue. We'll upgrade the packs and send it. haha.

It can only be a few issues honestly. I'm just hoping it's not my worst case scenario............a new trans. But, that won't solve anything either. No need to put another stock trans in running 1200 hp through it. We'll find out sooner or later I guess what the issue is. Just sux.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:24 PM   #4
GT-ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
Nope. We didn't change the fluid until we put back the stock TCM. We put in the HP TCM the night b4 the track day. We did 2 dyno hits that night. I picked the car up, took it to the track the next day. No issues at all until I got back to the house. My driver said he thought it was slipping at 5th gear. But, the rains came, we went home. Next day I drove it to the store and was like wtf. Bang bang bang............every gear change was hard as hell. Now it's just worse.

We gonna wait till we get the new TCM in. If that doesn't work, I guess it's a trans issue. We'll upgrade the packs and send it. haha.

It can only be a few issues honestly. I'm just hoping it's not my worst case scenario............a new trans. But, that won't solve anything either. No need to put another stock trans in running 1200 hp through it. We'll find out sooner or later I guess what the issue is. Just sux.
I didn't realize you were running that kind of power...lol. Yeah, your trans is lucky to be alive.

I'm also assuming there are no codes.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:27 PM   #5
DangerZL1

Drives: 2023 Black ZL1 Auto
Are there any upgrades available for the A10? I guess it’s harder chasing problems like this since everything is electronically controlled. Hope it’s not a new trans
DangerZL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #6
kttxz06

Quote:
I didn't realize you were running that kind of power...lol. Yeah, your trans is lucky to be alive.

I'm also assuming there are no codes.

Nope, no codes. Nothing.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:56 PM   #7
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post
Are there any upgrades available for the A10? I guess it’s harder chasing problems like this since everything is electronically controlled. Hope it’s not a new trans

I don't think there are. I thought I saw some upgraded packs, but not sure if they truly work or not.
Old 12-01-2018, 06:57 PM   #8
kttxz06

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerZL1 View Post

Even if i do need a new trans, what's the freaking point. haha. Gonna smash that one too. We need some upgraded internals. I just don't see how it's a bad trans when there are guys cracking high 8's with stock trans. At best, if my car is dialed in, I'm a 9.0 to 9.4 car. Maybe, just maybe if God is looking down on us, we crack 8.9. lol. But there are plenty of 9.5 and under cars and their trans aren't busting so. Hopefully it's just tuning issues and I have a feeling that is what it is. We shall c!!
Old 12-01-2018, 07:58 PM   #9
GT-ER

I don't know how dark the fluid was, but 10K mile fluid should still be very red. Excessive heat can make it dark, especially if there was a decent amount of clutch slippage.

For the most part, how the transmissions shift is all controlled by the valve body and ECU/TCU. Especially if all gears are being affected in the same manner. I've rebuilt a few trannies and worn clutches, pistons, bushings, etc. don't do what you are describing. Worn bushings will cause low pressure and lots of slippage, but too much pressure (and harsh shifts) are generally a VB problem. Take the VB off and open it up. It may be clogged with debris and just may need some cleaning. If it DOES have debris though, it came from somewhere; so one way or another, you are on borrowed time.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #10
kttxz06

Quote:
I don't know how dark the fluid was, but 10K mile fluid should still be very red. Excessive heat can make it dark, especially if there was a decent amount of clutch slippage.

For the most part, how the transmissions shift is all controlled by the valve body and ECU/TCU. Especially if all gears are being affected in the same manner. I've rebuilt a few trannies and worn clutches, pistons, bushings, etc. don't do what you are describing. Worn bushings will cause low pressure and lots of slippage, but too much pressure (and harsh shifts) are generally a VB problem. Take the VB off and open it up. It may be clogged with debris and just may need some cleaning. If it DOES have debris though, it came from somewhere; so one way or another, you are on borrowed time.

I would say the fluid was darker than normal. More than it should be at 10k miles, but as mentioned, it didn't really bother my tuner.

Haha, whatever is going on, I'm having slippage and hard shifts all the same time. And I'm not even sure you would call it slippage. It's more of revving out then slamming into the gear. It just feels like slippage because it's not shifting at the normal shift points. Even at start up, when I put it in reverse, it clangs into reverse. There are basically no smooth shift points anymore. It's all hard shifts.

When we put the Pro Charger on, I had over rev on the 1st and 2nd gear. We tuned that down a bit, but it was still there, just not as bad. But now, holy crap it's bad. haha.

It's like this. 1st gear, roll out. Hit the paddles into 2nd. It doesn't engage right away, it revs out, the bam, slams into 2nd. It does that same shit all the way to 5th. In auto mode it's even worse. Revs way out, then bam, slams into gear.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:23 PM   #11
GT-ER

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
I would say the fluid was darker than normal. More than it should be at 10k miles, but as mentioned, it didn't really bother my tuner.

Haha, whatever is going on, I'm having slippage and hard shifts all the same time. And I'm not even sure you would call it slippage. It's more of revving out then slamming into the gear. It just feels like slippage because it's not shifting at the normal shift points. Even at start up, when I put it in reverse, it clangs into reverse. There are basically no smooth shift points anymore. It's all hard shifts.

When we put the Pro Charger on, I had over rev on the 1st and 2nd gear. We tuned that down a bit, but it was still there, just not as bad. But now, holy crap it's bad. haha.

It's like this. 1st gear, roll out. Hit the paddles into 2nd. It doesn't engage right away, it revs out, the bam, slams into 2nd. It does that same shit all the way to 5th. In auto mode it's even worse. Revs way out, then bam, slams into gear.
It's gotta be valvebody or tune related.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:41 PM   #12
Joshinator99

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS A8
Quote:
It's gotta be valvebody or tune related.
Given that it’s happening pretty much under all conditions, valve body seems like a good bet IMO.
Old 12-01-2018, 09:56 PM   #13
angryBits

Drives: ZL1 1LE A10
sounds like what happens when your typical centrifugal clutch goes out.
laaaaaate-shiiiiifffft then CA-LUNK into gear.

Did you take it to the dealer?

Current: 2019 ZL1 1LE A10
Mods: MPS4s Tires | Borla Atak | CF Steering Wheel
Previous: 2018 ZL1 1LE M6 | 2017 Z06 Z07 M7 | 2017 GS A8 | 2015 ZL1 M6 | 2013 GT500
angryBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2018, 10:02 PM   #14
hitmix300
2016 loaded 2SS

Drives: Maverick X3 Turbo R
I would advise dropping the pan and have a look inside. It should have some sort of witness of failure.

happy hot-rodding
hitmix300 is offline   Reply With Quote