Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-22-2024, 09:37 PM   #29
NiteProwlerSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro SS
I don’t know if 315s would make a big difference but she’ll definitely look badass with them. And I just noticed after reading your post again that you’ve only put 10k miles on your car. I’m going to assume since you’re a long time member that you’ve owned it since new. If that’s the case then maybe just go with some drag radials, they would last you awhile. Just a suggestion.
Old 04-22-2024, 11:18 PM   #30
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
With the low miles you drive a drag radial or “R” compound tire is your best bet for dry weather traction, but they aren’t the best in the rain. I daily drove my TransAm on Nitto 555rII drag radials in Georgia for a couple years and loved it. Definitely recommend. I’ve also heard good things about NT01s but have no personal experience with them.

If you really need a little better wet performance the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup II’s are the best street tire (non-r compound) out there. I’m running Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s in 315 width on the rear of my Camaro (only 500ish HP) and they have been great so far.

Definitely step up to a 305 or 315 width in whatever tire you choose, it makes a difference.
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:01 AM   #31
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Thanks, guys! I did think about a drag radial, but I do sometimes drive in the rain, so wasn't sure if that'd cause issues. I usually take it very easy on wet roads since even the PSS are easy to slide on if I get on the throttle too quickly.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2024, 10:04 AM   #32
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiteProwlerSS View Post
I don’t know if 315s would make a big difference but she’ll definitely look badass with them. And I just noticed after reading your post again that you’ve only put 10k miles on your car. I’m going to assume since you’re a long time member that you’ve owned it since new. If that’s the case then maybe just go with some drag radials, they would last you awhile. Just a suggestion.

Even a slight improvement in traction would be good, but yeah, the other reason I want them wider is for the looks

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS_CTS-V View Post
With the low miles you drive a drag radial or “R” compound tire is your best bet for dry weather traction, but they aren’t the best in the rain. I daily drove my TransAm on Nitto 555rII drag radials in Georgia for a couple years and loved it. Definitely recommend. I’ve also heard good things about NT01s but have no personal experience with them.

If you really need a little better wet performance the Michelin Pilot Sport Cup II’s are the best street tire (non-r compound) out there. I’m running Firestone Firehawk Indy 500’s in 315 width on the rear of my Camaro (only 500ish HP) and they have been great so far.

Definitely step up to a 305 or 315 width in whatever tire you choose, it makes a difference.

I've heard good things about the Indy 500s. Are the PS Cup IIs better than the PS 4S?

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 11:34 PM   #33
SS_CTS-V

Drives: 2015 SS, 2006 CTS-V (wrecked...)
The Cup IIs will have more ultimate grip, but shorter life. The 4s will have a little less grip and longer life. There is zero tread wear warranty on the Cup IIs because they are classified as a DOT competition tire, whereas the 4S is a “road” tire and has a 30k mile warranty.
SS_CTS-V is offline   Reply With Quote