Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 03-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #85
PercyJWellingtonIII
Account Suspended

Drives: pontiac
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
The few STS setups here... seems they were serious PITA to get installed and running properly... Haven't seem them consistently run 12s... If you have more info please share...

Jay Leno got his Twin Turbo setup good in his V6 camaro. Its putting out about 400hp. I would encourage all interested to give him a call at his Big Dog garage. Pretty sure I have his number here somewhere in my Rolodex.
Anyone needing to speak to him I can give you his cell phone number.
PercyJWellingtonIII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 11:32 AM   #86
fastball
Banned

Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS 6MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5girl View Post
YOU GUYS SERIOUSLY ARE A BIG HELP!!!!!!!! see, I deff want an automatic but I also wanna go race people on the pike in a v8........but its going to be used as a DD....does it matter the year when looking at mpg?
Please don't race on public roads. We already have enough threads on this forum from news reports of people racing and crashing their Camaros. If you want to race, find a track.

Even with stability control, the tires on the SS are not suitable for performance driving in wet weather. Take care with that as well. If you get an SS and want it to be an every day driver in winter, you'll need winter tires. This is no Lincoln Navigator. In bad weather, even if it's just raining, drive carefully.
fastball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:01 PM   #87
lexlueger

Drives: V10 BMW M5, Supercharged 2SS/RS
Marry me
IW 8 RIB PULLEY W/ OD COG REARS
NX EXPRESS/NANO KIT

KDI HEAT EXCHANGER/ROTOFAB RESERVOIR
CIRCLE D 2800 TC/FLEX PLATE/ADM TRANS COOLER
DSS DRIVESHAFT/1400 HP AXLES
EATON TRUETRAC -LPE 3.27 GEARS
DYNATECH HEADERS/MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST
SQUASH RETURN STYLE FS ID 850's E85/ FLEXFUEL
BMR/EIBACH SUSPENSION

KILL MODE, ON.

lexlueger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 12:55 PM   #88
2ss2012

Drives: 2012 2ss ahen grey
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexlueger View Post
Marry me
2ss2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:38 PM   #89
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro5girl View Post
Hey My name is Amanda! I am hoping to pick out out a 2010-2012 ss camaro by the summer and I was curious if there is anything I should be looking out for or any suggestions?

First of all, I wanna know more about working on the engine and stuff like that. Also, this car is going to be my daily driver so is it even smart to get the ss or should I just stick to a more simplistic v6 version. Whats the biggest difference and is it economical to drive a v8 as a daily driver?

Thank you!

Amanda
Amanda,
If you want the V8 and can afford the gas and insurance, then by all means, get the V8. If you want an automatic, get an automatic. But keep in mind that the automatic has a different and more complex engine. It has 26 less hp and 10 less ft/lb of torque. It is more complex because it has VVT/AFM. VVT is Variable Valve Timing, which gives the engine a broader torque curve. AFM is Active Fuel Management, which turns your V8 into a V4 on the highway to save fuel. It has a milder camshaft and slightly less compression. It has a much quieter exhaust and this seems to be where the problems begin. Most people want their V8 to sound like a V8, so the first mod becomes a catback exhaust. Unless the catback is chosen very carefully, the AFM becomes very annoying. The AFM can be disabled, but that requires a computer reflash, which voids your warranty.
So, if you get the automatic and you want to mod it and keep your warranty, you'll have to pick your exhaust mods very carefully. Or you can forget your warranty and mod the crap out of it! Or just get the stick shift! Hope this helps.
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 01:49 PM   #90
hightower
LS3 Black Widow

Drives: 2012 45th 2SS LS3 and 1968 Mustang
Quote:
Originally Posted by nUcLeArEnVoY View Post
Alright, I'm done. I'm gonna say it, I've been holding this in for two years on this board...

I love how every member introduction thread by a chick usually hits three or so pages, but if it's clearly a dude, you can expect no more than 5 posts.

Just always found that kinda funny.

But seriously, welcome. lol. Get an SS - if you're tossing between the two, you'll regret not getting it if you get a V6. A person who knows they want or should have a V6 are those who belong with one.
I think the same thing every time!
Old 03-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #91
SSmoothie

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6SP Blk/Blk
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManOfTheMinute View Post
Does anyone else find it ridiculous that everyone responded to her questions so nicely, without any comments? I think it might have something to do with the title, "new girl from connecticut!" Just saying... you're all
I think the reply would have been different if it started out as: Hi, my name is Buford and this is my first post.

Replies would be such as: use the search, use the buttons at top.
Old 03-11-2012, 02:56 PM   #92
Wizard1183

Drives: ABM SS2/RS M6
Send a message via Yahoo to Wizard1183
You're all a bunch a horndogs! Jk

Life is short, drive it like you stole it!
Wizard1183 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:43 PM   #93
blackout345

Drives: 2010 camaro 2ss/rs
i know theres meets in providence ri on I-95 near exits 20-18 not sure the specifics but they meet at stop n shop alot in the spring threw the fall
blackout345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:38 PM   #94
Baldman
EMERALD COAST CAMAROS

Drives: None
Where's Amanda?? She hasn't posted anything since yesterday morning..
Old 03-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #95
OKCwhiteKnight

Drives: 2010 2LT RS Camaro 2015 Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoothie View Post
I think the reply would have been different if it started out as: Hi, my name is Buford and this is my first post.

OKCwhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:07 PM   #96
steel insane

Drives: 2012 2LT Black (Vengeance)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmoothie View Post

steel insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #97
Rocky1974

Drives: 2010 RJT 2SS M6 Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard1183 View Post
You're all a bunch a horndogs! Jk
So......Whats your point?
Rocky1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:35 PM   #98
BrettDrivesAz28

Drives: 1981 camaro z28
amanda i am your friend so listen to me, i dont really think you should have this as a daily driver specially durring the winter months. this new salt they put down on the roads and highways eat away at anything and everything. i talked to a truck driver on my C.B in my camaro and he said that the salt last year ate away at his truck and started to rot it away. keep the navmobile for a winter beater and use the camaro in the summer. let me go camaro shopping with you. but depends on how much insurance is gunna be and whos paying for the gas. by april they say gas is gunna be over the 5.00 dollar a gallon mark. but id still go with the SS version. no one really likes a v6 but they do have over 300hp. if you wanna go racing you better know what your getting into at the pike. its very dangerous. i dont want anything to happen to you or your car. trust me you get a wreckless driving charge on your record like me your insurance is gunna be going to shit. let me teach you the basics about racing and before you get a new one. you ever think about getting a 2nd 3rd or 4th gen camaro. they are way cheaper easier to fix and in my opinion, a car with a carburator on it is the way to go. so much easier to fix. when i go race you always gotta take the chance your gunna curl a fender off or go home without a car...or not go home at all... but if anything its easier to talk in person. call me or text me sometime this week so we can discuss this. hope this helped amanda!
BrettDrivesAz28 is offline   Reply With Quote