Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 02-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
keving2873

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Complete exhaust setup question

I just got my 2011 SS and I have been doing a lot of looking at exhaust, headers, and a CAI. I think I have found a setup I want to use but looking for opinions from people here.

Borla ATAK catback system
ARH or Kooks long tube headers (leaning towards ARH but still thinking about Kooks)
CAI still up in the air with all the options

I have listened to countless videos of exhaust systems and some are good while others of the same system sound bad, probably crappy mic quality.

Does anyone here live in the Pacific NW that has similar mods that I could listen to?

Last question, are there any negative sides to mix-n-matching systems like this as opposed to getting a full-on Borla system or a full ARH system?

Any and all advice is much appreciated.

Thanks,
keving2873 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 02:13 PM   #2
orange-prince
QATAR 2022

Drives: black cts-V coupe a6
for headers you can't go wrong with ARH,KOOKS & SW
mixing headers and catback is fine
and about choosing a catback you must know that ATAK is 2 loud with lt's
i can't do it here not cuz i don't like the loud sound i don't do it cuz it's illeagal in my country ( i dont know about your state laws )
and about CAI a lot of ppl well help you to decide but if you well go with a supercharge you can't go with VR and some CAI if you well not go with FI go with VR tune version from what i seen its have the highest wrhp
good luck bro
orange-prince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 03:39 PM   #3
keving2873

Thanks Orange, anyone else? I am going to keep a NA setup so I don't think I need anything for a s/c or t/c.

Do the long tubes bypass the cats?
Old 02-23-2011, 03:56 PM   #4
MTI Racing Kevin

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Headers and CAI

We have had great results using either the American Racing Headers or KOOKS with the stock mufflers on the car. The stock mufflers flow very well and sound very good with headers, high flow cats and the x-pipe center section. I would recommend doing that first, drive the car for a week or two and then make a decision to go more aggressive with the sound. American Racing and Kooks make excellent sounding muffler systems that can be connected any time after the header install. Any axle back muffler system can be bolted directly to the American Racing or Kooks headers.
We also have a cold air intake for your car, check the link below.

http://www.mtiracing.com/Purchase/Ne...10-Camaro.html
http://www.mtiracing.com/Purchase/Ne...11-oemc-2.html
http://www.mtiracing.com/Purchase/Ne...-System-2.html
MTI Racing Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:06 PM   #5
keving2873

Thanks for the links. I am a little confused with the mid-pipe and cat stuff. Let's say I get headers and a cat-back system, do any of these cover the cat's? Do I have to get high flow cats seperately? I have never dealt with a mid pipe, where does it fall into the puzzle?

Sorry for all the questions but I drove a honda accord before and it was straight piped with an STS turbo on it so I never had to worry about all this other stuff.
Old 02-23-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
you will need to buy headers, high flow cats, and a cat back exhaust. for a full exhaust.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:35 PM   #7
MTI Racing Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by keving2873 View Post
Thanks for the links. I am a little confused with the mid-pipe and cat stuff. Let's say I get headers and a cat-back system, do any of these cover the cat's? Do I have to get high flow cats seperately? I have never dealt with a mid pipe, where does it fall into the puzzle?

Sorry for all the questions but I drove a honda accord before and it was straight piped with an STS turbo on it so I never had to worry about all this other stuff.
No problem.
There are two different ways to go. You can get the headers, high flow cats, and x-pipe center section that will take you to the rear axle and connect to your factory mufflers or any other axle back system you want. Or you can get headers, high flow cats and then connect any cat back system you prefer. Just make sure you do the headers and cats because that's where the power is made. Catback systems will get you around 10 to 15hp tops.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:10 PM   #8
Mass Hysteria

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS , 85 z28
Sorry to jump in here but i also have a 2011 SS LS3 and was wondering while were on the topic of exhaust, if i plan on staying N/A for now would a 3" exhaust be a dumb choice instead of 2.5"? Or would i be hurting my power because of not running a S/C? Any advice would be great! I do plan on going with a big cam/ heads or a Maggie in a year or so tho...

Last edited by Mass Hysteria; 02-24-2011 at 08:22 PM.
Mass Hysteria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 03:08 PM   #9
MTI Racing Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mass Hysteria View Post
Sorry to jump in here but i also have a 2011 SS LS3 and was wondering while were on the topic of exhaust, if i plan on staying N/A for now would a 3" exhaust be a dumb choice instead of 2.5"? Or would i be hurting my power because of not running a S/C? Any advice would be great! I do plan on going with a big cam/ heads or a Maggie in a year or so tho...
If you are going big cam and supercharger in the near future just go with the 3" exhaust now. No need to put the 2.5 on and then have to change it to a 3" in a year.
Old 02-25-2011, 03:15 PM   #10
S-eatin-grin

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS AGM
When I did my exhaust mods ARH didn't have a complete system so I went with the SLP loudmouth II fromthe axle back. If I was in the market now I'd still either go with ARH 1 7/8" LT headers with 3" inch all the way (complete system) or Kooks complete system (same size and style).
S-eatin-grin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #11
keving2873

So I plan on possibly doing something with cams but not for a year or two. Should I go with the 3" exhaust? Also, do cams increase your redline? I don't have any experience with cams except in Forza3. In the game it increases the redline slightly but it is just a game.
Old 02-26-2011, 02:03 PM   #12
Josh@ARH

Drives: 2013 Corvette GS
Quote:
Originally Posted by keving2873 View Post
So I plan on possibly doing something with cams but not for a year or two. Should I go with the 3" exhaust? Also, do cams increase your redline? I don't have any experience with cams except in Forza3. In the game it increases the redline slightly but it is just a game.
If you buy our full length system that runs to the factory mufflers, it is 3" all the way up to the rear mufflers where it then reduces to 2.5". That will be perfectly fine for your car with or without a cam.

If you have any questions feel free to send me a PM.
Josh@ARH is offline   Reply With Quote