Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 07-02-2015, 10:13 AM   #15
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Between the two I would have stuck with the A/B + D Hybrid Prime amp from RF, but you should be happy with the PPI-P900 for what you are looking to do.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:18 AM   #16
djrasras

Drives: 2010 2LT Bumblebee
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoman View Post
Between the two I would have stuck with the A/B + D Hybrid Prime amp from RF, but you should be happy with the PPI-P900 for what you are looking to do.
What is the benefit of an A/B + DHybrid Prime amp? I have heard that A/B hybrid amps are supposed to have the benefits of a B-class amp without the distortion or something like that. I just didn't see much about it in the RF amp description
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
djrasras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:36 AM   #17
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by djrasras View Post
What is the benefit of an A/B + DHybrid Prime amp? I have heard that A/B hybrid amps are supposed to have the benefits of a B-class amp without the distortion or something like that. I just didn't see much about it in the RF amp description
Oh boy, that would take longer to explain and a technical level far above your original intent of a slight upgrade over stock. There are also heavy discussions on sonic qualities of A/B vs D and the like I don't want to get into. Here is a short read though; http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jun0...udandlight.htm

The RF Prime 5 channel uses A/B for the main stage and class D for the sub output. The PPI you purchased is better than the OEM amp as well though.
Old 07-02-2015, 12:50 PM   #18
djrasras

I'll take your word for it then and switch my order to the RF Prime lol. My friend also recommended their brand to so why not
I also got the FARK kit and 4 gauge wiring.
I read on another post that I would need one pair of short rca cables and one long pair to span the length of the car. Is that true?
AirLift Air Suspension, Stainless Works Long Tube Headers + Hi-Flo Cats, Resonated X-Pipe, MRT V2 Mufflers, VMAX Ice-olator and Ported Throttle Body, Barton Short Throw Shifter, CAI Intake + Air Scoop
Old 07-02-2015, 02:03 PM   #19
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Hmm, the Fark harness will drop 4 female RCA's in the trunk next to the stock amp. I am unaware of a need to run a pair of RCA's the length of the vehicle unless you are replacing the head unit in the dash, but that is a different topic all together.
Old 07-02-2015, 02:49 PM   #20
Imdyinhere
Keeper of the Gold Acorn

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS
I'm running a 4ch RF R400.4D (cabin) and a mono RF R500.1D (subs) in my system. Ran all RCA's from the Fark in the trunk with plenty of length to spare with 4' RCAs. Good power and sound compared to the cost.

In a nutshell, the difference between AB and D type circuitry is that AB has a lower signal to noise ratio while the D's are more efficient power wise drawing less amperage. That is the most basic explanation though and there's a lot more to it. In the end, only the audiophiles and SQ nuts will be able to tell the difference.

Since you have already purchased the harness from Sub Thump and have your amp in play, you should consider having an end game with regards to speaker. Eventually the BAs will start to fatigue with all that new clean power and you will need to replace them. start shopping now and wait for November and Black Friday to upgrade again.
2011 RJT 2SS/RS - Kooks 1-7/8 Long Tubes, High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat Back Exhaust, MTI Short Throw Shifter, Vmax Ported Throttle Body, Fasster Billet Fuel Rails & Custom Braided Vapor and Fuel Lines, CAI Cold Air Intake, RX Catch Can, Nitto Invos, Hawk HPS, BMR Trailing Arms, 2x Zapco ST4x-SQ amps, ST850x-II Sub amp, Morel Tempo 6 componenets, Morel Maximo 6x9, Morel 124 Primo Sub, Zapco DSP8Z Processor... More to Come.
Imdyinhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 11:34 AM   #21
djrasras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imdyinhere View Post
I'm running a 4ch RF R400.4D (cabin) and a mono RF R500.1D (subs) in my system. Ran all RCA's from the Fark in the trunk with plenty of length to spare with 4' RCAs. Good power and sound compared to the cost.

In a nutshell, the difference between AB and D type circuitry is that AB has a lower signal to noise ratio while the D's are more efficient power wise drawing less amperage. That is the most basic explanation though and there's a lot more to it. In the end, only the audiophiles and SQ nuts will be able to tell the difference.

Since you have already purchased the harness from Sub Thump and have your amp in play, you should consider having an end game with regards to speaker. Eventually the BAs will start to fatigue with all that new clean power and you will need to replace them. start shopping now and wait for November and Black Friday to upgrade again.

Thanks for the explanation;
Black Friday speaker sales sounds like the move