Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 01-30-2017, 10:36 PM   #1
TeamMNK

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
New TSP cam package!!!

Been lurking on this site for several months now since I picked up my 2014 SS. Tons of great info from all you guys and with that info I decided to give Texas Speed a call today and order up a cam kit. My car is a 6 speed and I made up my mind on the Stage 4 cam. When I was talking with the salesman, who was SUPER helpful, he informed me that they had been working on some new cams that were not being advertised yet. I was informed that this particular cam falls in between the stage 3 and stage 4, but outperforms the stage 4. This cam is claimed to be putting out 589 on their engine dyno. Here's the specs:
231/246, .641"/.615" 111+2 LSA.
What are your opinions? Just curious to hear some thoughts on it. I already placed the order so its a done deal, but would still love to hear some feedback! Long tubes and CAI intake are on the way as well, and also ordered a trunion upgrade kit.
One thing I went back and forth on, and ultimately decided not to do was replace the lifters. I am aware of whats involved, and based on the mileage of my car (35k), and the recommendation of the salesman, I opted not to order them. Do you guys think this is the right way to go? I'm not opposed to tearing the heads off but would rather not if its not a huge deal. I do hear some light ticking at idle and that has always concerned me a little, but the more I read up on these motors, the more I hear that this is normal.
TeamMNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 06:37 AM   #2
07-SRT

Drives: 2015 Camaro SS
Nice !What was the TQ? Also do they have a dyno sheet to compare the area under the curve from existing cams?

2015 Camaro 2SS

Cam/Heads/FBO 498/447 SAE
07-SRT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 07:37 AM   #3
racesloth
Dan

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS IOM
For what a set of LS7 lifters goes for - it is peace of mind especially since you have egine open...

2010 IOM SS
YSI-B, Pat G Cam, Ported CTS-V Heads, ARH LTs MBRP 3" exhaust
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...&highlight=ysi
racesloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:18 AM   #4
CGT

Drives: 2011 SSm6
I like that cam choice.
CGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 09:27 AM   #5
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamMNK View Post
One thing I went back and forth on, and ultimately decided not to do was replace the lifters. I am aware of whats involved, and based on the mileage of my car (35k), and the recommendation of the salesman, I opted not to order them. Do you guys think this is the right way to go? I'm not opposed to tearing the heads off but would rather not if its not a huge deal. I do hear some light ticking at idle and that has always concerned me a little, but the more I read up on these motors, the more I hear that this is normal.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408384

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=422881

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=297870

(This one below is actually a trunion failure)
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=417111

These are just a few out of the very many lifters failures after upgrading the cam. With such an aggressive cam you've got there, I'm wondering why the sales rep tried to get you to potentially detonate your engine.

If I were to cam my car, these are the only lifters I'd ever consider using.
https://www.briantooleyracing.com/jo...lsr-32584.html

Much rather pay the extra $500 and not $4,500 for an entire new block.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:28 PM   #6
Dmpsix

Drives: Black L99 2SS/RS
Another thing I wanna add is one thing that kills lifters are excessive spring pressure and valve train setup, I didn't want to make it seem like a cammed car is going to explode sooner or later... Because ticking is definitely a normal thing for our cars.... I have longtube headers and a cold air intake, my car ticks.

...That being said however I'm too sure if the same thing applies to a cammed LS engine... hopefully someone who's had their LS cammed for a while can chime in.
Dmpsix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2017, 12:38 PM   #7
Davidd_SS

Drives: LSX FTW
OP ls3 lifters are the same as ls7 lifters. You're low mileage so its not a necessity to change out, but if it gives you peace of mind go for it. I would highly suggest a trunion upgrade however with that cam. do yourself a favor and give brian tooley racing a call, not to bash on texas speed
Old 01-31-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
TeamMNK

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07-SRT View Post
Nice !What was the TQ? Also do they have a dyno sheet to compare the area under the curve from existing cams?
Unfortunately I didnt get the torque specs! Damn, cant believe I forgot to ask that. I will give them a shout tomorrow and find out. Should be pretty decent I would imagine!! Im not sure if they have a dyno sheet yet to share as they are not even advertising this cam yet, but I will be sure to ask.
Old 02-01-2017, 02:10 AM   #9
WHAMMO

Drives: 13' 1LE
Seems like a great cam...589hp is pretty intense!! Stock rockers arr very good. Try the new TSP rockers

Old setup: TSP 231-236/Tick 660/.105 PR, UDP, SW LT 2'' & HFC, stock NPP & H pipe, VR-DRX CAI, air scoop, Goertz1 manifold, 102mm BBK, 26" Toyo DRs, Forgestars R17x10 & F18x8, rear seat delete, remote Pat G tune Autocal, 7400 limiter, Spec Mini Twin. 91oct. 11.90@122.3, 0-60ft 2.0 / 11.99@123.6, 0-60ft 2.1 DA+819 ...519RWHP SAE

Solid roller SBE LS3, FED, LLSR, 91oct, 605rwhp N/A. Tuned by Pat G. Build by me.
WHAMMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 10:52 AM   #10
Sales@Texas-Speed

Drives: Z06
For weeks now we have been making hundreds of pulls on our LS3/L99. We have just about finished up a complete line of new camshafts for both the vvt and non vvt motors. All of which have made more power than our own older setups and the other common cams out there. We will be making some more specific posts along with many comparisons very soon.

For the time being though, here is the dyno sheet for the 231/246 cam vs stock. We are using an l99 that we converted to an ls3 for testing, so we could easily go back and forth between vvt and non vvt. Because of that, the motor is down about 10hp even in stock form from where we see a normal LS3. Even with that in mind, the cams really pick up well from previous setups.
Attached Images

Sales@Texas-Speed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 05:26 PM   #11
Gunmetal Speedster

Drives: Savitar; The 500rwhp N/A Monster!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Texas-Speed View Post
For weeks now we have been making hundreds of pulls on our LS3/L99. We have just about finished up a complete line of new camshafts for both the vvt and non vvt motors. All of which have made more power than our own older setups and the other common cams out there. We will be making some more specific posts along with many comparisons very soon.

For the time being though, here is the dyno sheet for the 231/246 cam vs stock. We are using an l99 that we converted to an ls3 for testing, so we could easily go back and forth between vvt and non vvt. Because of that, the motor is down about 10hp even in stock form from where we see a normal LS3. Even with that in mind, the cams really pick up well from previous setups.
Wow super nice! What other mods have been done? Also, how much is stock drivability effected?
*SOLD*504HP/433TQ | Night Fury cammed • Cold Air Inductions intake • Bo White ported TB • Speed Engineering 1 7/8 longtubes • NPP catback • QTP low profile cutouts • Powerbond 25% UDP • 3.73 gears • JRE scoop • ZL1 grille • R1 Concepts drilled/slotted rotors • built/tuned by Weapon X Motorsports
Gunmetal Speedster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 09:37 PM   #12
TeamMNK

I am hoping drivability is not too bad!! I expect to have some bucking down low as their tends to be with a big cam. I honestly do not care about it too much though as I will be distracted by the sweet sounds coming out the tailpipe!!!
Old 02-02-2017, 05:24 AM   #13
sdynak

Drives: 2010 1SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sales@Texas-Speed View Post

So you figure with ~ 12% loss for RWHP you are at ~ 503? No head mods i.e. porting, milling? Please give details about the supporting mods.. This is using the dyno graph with max power @ 572... Been waiting to pull the trigger on a setup. Are you still working on solid setups?
2010 1SS LS3, Black, 235/250, .621/.615, 114 + 4, Kooks Stepped Headers, 3.91's, Bo White PTB, Flowmaster Mufflers, Cold Air Industries CAI, Apex Scoop & Windshield Washer Relocate, SLP Wheels, Skip Shift Eliminate, Barton Flat Stick, OEM HID/Halos, Dyno Tuned by ECS
sdynak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:34 AM   #14
Texas_RS

Drives: 2013 1LE/SS
Current mods: Stainless Power Long Tube Headers,Cat Delete,CAI Cold Air Intake,Vitesse throttle controller, Muffler/Resonator Delete w/dual tips. ADM Performance Tuned,BMR 1.25 lowering springs,R1 Concept Slotted/Dimpled Rotors.
Texas_RS is offline   Reply With Quote