Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-19-2019, 11:29 PM   #1
Camaro_Mike

Drives: 2011 CGM SS LS3
What Is This Noise?!

Is this this ticking noise normal? Has anyone else ever experienced this? I have full bolt ons. Just changed the spark plugs and wires but before that I was getting codes for random misfires and bad coolant sensor. My check oil light as came on but I changed the oil about 2 months ago. All feedback is welcome.

https://youtu.be/rRSfhMA2vbE
Camaro_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 AM   #2
zlathim

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS M6
Have you checked the oil since the warning light came on? LS engine consume oil at a surprising rate. Just because you changed the oil 2 months ago, doesn't mean it is still full.
BMR cradle & diff bushings, trailing arms, toe rods & upper control arm bushings
Hotchkis sub-frame brace
Stop Tech Z-23 brakes
4.10 gears, Eaton Truetrac, LPW diff cover
Best 1/4 mile 12.073 @ 115.68 mph 3,300 ft DA
zlathim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #3
PepeLePew

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe; 2011 2LT Vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro_Mike View Post
Is this this ticking noise normal? Has anyone else ever experienced this? I have full bolt ons. Just changed the spark plugs and wires but before that I was getting codes for random misfires and bad coolant sensor. My check oil light as came on but I changed the oil about 2 months ago. All feedback is welcome.

https://youtu.be/rRSfhMA2vbE
What bolt-ons did you do? It doesn't sound cammed so I assume you still have OEM cam and pushrods. Do you have headers? They can make the valve train a little noisier even with the correct valve train geometry.

The check oil light is a little concerning and if it is low, you will definitely get that ticking noise. I am assuming there are no leaks anywhere and you check the oil level on the dipstick too though.

Also, what is your oil pressure gauge reading? If it periodically pegs to the high side or zero, you may have a bad oil pressure switch/sending unit. If that is the case, check for codes P0523 and P0521. I had that happen on my when it said I had zero oil pressure.
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:03 AM   #4
christianchevell
old school chevy rodder

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS Manual,DM exhaust,CRT
As far as I can tell you have normal roller sound from the lifters in that sound box garage reflecting the sound...just imagine having no engine cover and headers or cammed and different lash...………...trust me you have no noise, as others said keep an eye on the oil level, some swear a l99 is better 1/2 quart low...LOL; normal...sound from a ls engine, and decreases usually with thermal expansion or increases...…. but reflects off tunnels and walls and other cars, now if you get a irregular ticking check under the valve covers....other than that a typewriter sound is normal...… not my first engine, or first build or first gen 5 SS...…

and for gods sake get a elite engineering catch can if you don't have one its the first and required mod we bug others to do.
Old 03-27-2019, 12:09 AM   #5
Camaro_Mike

Drives: 2011 CGM SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by zlathim View Post
Have you checked the oil since the warning light came on? LS engine consume oil at a surprising rate. Just because you changed the oil 2 months ago, doesn't mean it is still full.
Thanks guys for the comments but the issues was that my spark plugs weren’t tight enough.
Camaro_Mike is offline   Reply With Quote