Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Garage / Tools Discussions

Old 06-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #1
ISurvivednmu

Drives: 2013 ZL1
How would you feel getting Ryobi tools as a gift?

Everyone has their opinions on tools and some do not like Ryobi. I have a opportunity to buy a younger relative some tools he needs, but I do not want him to think I purchased him crap.

I can get the 6 piece ultimate Ryobi kit for $269 at Home Depot. The review of them sounds good.

and here: http://www.workshopaddict.com/tools/...ate-combo-kit/

What do you guys think? Would you be happy as a younger guy without a lot of tools?
ISurvivednmu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #2
Bizaro
Account Suspended

Drives: 2015 Redhot 1LE
Tools are tools and never look at gift horse in the mouth
Bizaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:19 AM   #3
102SS
waiting at the tree

Drives: SIM 2010 2SS/RS A6
Great for a DIYer not contractor grade.

You can add more tools even yard tools using the same battery system.

Make sure he gets the warranty registered online to get the full 3years even on the batteries.
102SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:20 AM   #4
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
I bought a Ryobi kit for piddling around the house for minor repairs, sanding wooden chairs, installing door locks, etc. I like the idea that basically one battery fits everything.

For the heavier duty stuff, I buy DeWalt or Milwaukee cordless tools. You can throw them against the wall and they still work. I trust them to work every time. Only problem I ever had with a DeWalt tool was my stud nailer, where the rubber piston seals failed (I think storing it away for a couple of years unused probably wasn't good for it). But after I put a new O-ring kit in it, right as rain.

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 11:36 AM   #5
IamR3D88

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2LT RS
I would be happy as hell to get that. May not be my first choice, but all i got now is a drill since i cant afford the rest

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk
IamR3D88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #6
JimE

Drives: 2013 2SS/RS/1LE
They are budget tools, but there isn't anything wrong with them. Someone that is getting a complete set as a gift, likely doesn't have much or any power tools anyway. Having a tool, regardless of brand, is much better than not having the tool at all.
JimE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 11:55 AM   #7
SNSSTR
All About That Speed

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I don't turn down free tools...use it till it breaks!

2010 SS M6 | 416 CI | H/C/I | GPI TUNED | SNSSTR
SNSSTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 12:15 PM   #8
Fireman124

Drives: 45th convertible ss
As long as they are meant for the diy'er. If they will be used constantly then upgrade. You really need to weigh out what they will be used for. You may be getting more then the person will ever use. Most average people can get a way with a screw gun and skill saw. The rest just sits and collects dust. If the person does not like them he can always exchange them since they will be a gift. Let him decide. Either way you choose to go it is a very nice gift.
Fireman124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:15 PM   #9
trashmanssd

Drives: Black 14 2SS/1LE/RS 14 Tundra
I have ryobi at home and just got them for work. They do the job and are way cheaper to replace, batteries are cheaper to replace also. Plus I like the fact the the same battery fits in there tools from 1996 till now they are not changing the battery design just so you need buy whole new tools to get new battery tech.
trashmanssd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 01:46 PM   #10
Billy10mm

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2SS 1LE NPP
I just completed a quarter-million dollar complete gut renovation on an apartment we bought. I took a total of about 4 weeks of personal/vacation time to assist with the renovation. My contractor wouldn't stop making fun of my Ryobi tools, but they did the job - covered in saw dust, dropped, stepped on, they kept on chugging.

I bought them (them being a drill, driver, and circular saw) because a replacement Ryobi One 18-volt battery was $19.99 at HD, and a replacement Dewalt 18-volt battery was $49.99 at HD.

I've had my tools for years and used them for all kinds of jobs. They are still going strong.
Billy10mm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #11
CamAnon

Drives: 2015 1LT
Be sure to break down what is in the "pack" and weigh the relative value over individual tools.

For example, the flashlights are always pretty much worthless. A "real" flashlight will always be better.

A separate drill/driver is not superior to a driver that can also be used as a drill. The recip-saw looks like a serious compromise tool.

For the money, I'd much rather receive:

- Decent circular saw (is cordless really important here)? $60
- - - - - - a GOOD multi-purpose saw blade will be more important than the saw that spins it.

- Acceptable hand jigsaw (more useful than a recip saw for almost everything) If you had to have only one power-saw, it would be a scroll-saw. $50

- Decent Drill/driver $100 http://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-20...71C2/204279858

- An oscillating tool. these have limited use, but in the places where they have a purpose, it kicks-ass to have one available. There's nothing wrong with the $20 Harbor Freight ones. http://www.harborfreight.com/power-t...ing-tools.html

I realize you're looking for a gift that is a useable set of tools, AND looks like a decent gift, but individual selections of "more useful" might be better. I also realize you
Quote:
do not want him to think I purchased him crap
, but Harbor Freight has stepped up their game, as Sears, etc have lowered their quality.

I would shop HF for corded power-tools before Sears, Lowes, or Home Depot (unless you are going for higher-end Dewalt/Milwaukee/etc.)

In the under-$100 corded-power-tool categories, I'll take a Harbor Freight over the similar competitor, even when the HF stuff often comes in at less than half the price.

Hell, a trip to HF with a handful of coupons, you could come out with VERY acceptable recip saw, jigsaw, circular saw, oscillating tool, belt sander, heat gun, and enough change left over to still pick up the Dewalt driver for less than the Ryobi kit.

I agree with Fireman124, get the stuff that is useful, though. Skip the pieces that marketing put in the bag so they could call it a "6 piece" set.
CamAnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:14 PM   #12
BMR Sales

Drives: Race Car
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizaro View Post
Tools are tools and never look at gift horse in the mouth
Exactly!
BMR Sales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #13
Xploite

Drives: CGM 2LT
How about a gift card? If he decides that he wants to upgrade he can kick in the difference.
Xploite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015, 03:40 PM   #14
Tampa Tuning
Account Suspended

Drives: TAMPA TUNING FACEBOOK & INSTAGRAM
I loved their 14V system, but I upgraded to their 18V when it came out, and I hated it. The batteries sucked on the saws. I replaced the batteries a couple times, then got tired of them and bought the dewalt 18 V units.
Tampa Tuning is offline   Reply With Quote