Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-18-2018, 12:58 PM   #1
Rem0v3r

Drives: 2013 ss2 vert l99
Turbo behavior (Is this normal)

Within the last week I am finally boosted on my auto trans ss camaro.. the turbos are directly referencing the wastegate with a 5lb spring installed.

This morning I was half throttle and at about 1 psi of boost.. the car shifted into the next gear and the boost jumped to 5psi and stayed.. even with the blow off valve open.. the bov and boost guage are manifold referenced..

I'm halfway through someone tuning my car so I'm not sure if it's a tuning or a setup issue or even no issue at all.
Rem0v3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #2
Punisher_ATX

Drives: 2010 SS
More load = More heat = More boost. If you get out of the throttle it should drop down though.
Punisher_ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #3
dreksnot
Served USN - Atomic Chimp

Drives: 13 Camaro LSX434 TT M6, 21 ZLE A10
Turbos, wastegate springs and boosts controllers are a conundrum in the beginning. What you mentioned is typical, per what Punisher_ATX stated. I bet your acceleration changed with the gear shift and boost up.

The BOV usually doesn't vent open unless you close the throttle (boosted intake air has to go somewhere if not through the throttle body); it isn't used at all to control the boost - the wastegates are the boost venters. Unless, of course, you have some other setup I'm not familiar with.

In excess of 1,000WHP
LSX434 | AGP 65/65 TT | BTR Equalizer Intake | Trickflow 245cc cathedral | BTR custom cam | Cortex EBC | n2mb WOT | ID-1700x | Brisk GR12S | RPM Lv 7 TR6060 | AGP's Triple 525LPH Fore Fuel | Monster LT1-S Triple | 4.11 DSS Proform 9", CF driveshaft, 1400hp axles | Hurst Line Lock | MGW Retro Short Throw w/old skool Hurst T-handle | ADM solid subframe mounts | Prothane Motor Mounts | Revshift Poly Trans insert | Moreno camber/caster plates
dreksnot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 01:01 AM   #4
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rem0v3r View Post
Within the last week I am finally boosted on my auto trans ss camaro.. the turbos are directly referencing the wastegate with a 5lb spring installed.

This morning I was half throttle and at about 1 psi of boost.. the car shifted into the next gear and the boost jumped to 5psi and stayed.. even with the blow off valve open.. the bov and boost guage are manifold referenced..

I'm halfway through someone tuning my car so I'm not sure if it's a tuning or a setup issue or even no issue at all.
Along with what Dreks mentioned, if you have 5 lb springs and you state the shift occurred and the boost increased, what you may have heard venting is the waste gates. The BOV is close to the intake manifold and is only for venting boost pressure when the throttle is closed.... We are probably stating the same thing just using different terminology....

I'm betting it's no issue, as it sounds like the waste gates did exactly as they should have... and like Punisher stated, when the car shifted, the rpm's decreased causing more load on the engine, which = more heat and more boost.... Sounds like everything is working properly... And for the record, stay out of boost until tuning is finished..... for safety sake...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote